Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:39:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 208
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "Bridegroom"  (Read 2874 times)

Offline tednlou2

"Bridegroom"
« on: November 02, 2013, 01:28:52 am »
Just finished watching this documentary on Netflix.  It had also aired on OWN.  I think we discussed this here previously.  "Bridegroom" tells the story of what can happen, when you don't have any legal protections.  Shane lost his partner, Tom, and his family excluded him from any funeral planning and even banned him from the funeral.  In fact, he was threatened with violence, if he showed up. 

My partner and I have families who are very accepting.  I know many say it is about education, but I know it is about either love or hate in your heart.  My mom barely has an elementary school education and she loves my partner.  Sometimes I think she likes him better than me..lol.  On a recent trip, she said she would be honored to have him as her legal son-in-law.  Then, she joked daughter-in-law, saying she's not sure which position he likes.  We all cracked up.  My partner's dad was very disappointed we called off plans to marry in NYC.  He was already arranging travel and offering to pay for most of it, months before.  It would be nice for all to have that. 

But, we don't have any legal protections.  We did contact a lawyer and got a huge packet of documents to complete.  I'm embarrassed that we haven't gotten it all sent back.  Even with accepting family, you never know how people will behave.  For example, a partner's family could blame you for their son's/daughter's death and things go to shit very fast.

Anyway, check it out on Netflix if you're interested and have access.  I don't think OWN has any more showings. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/25/bridegroom-documentary-marriage-equality_n_4164273.html

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: "Bridegroom"
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:41:19 am »
My late Father went from smashing up the washing up in fury on hearing I was in Love with a man to having my Partner at the family Christmas dinner in 6 months , I am very proud off him . Though I am hard pushed to imagine him getting excited about a wedding , think I would give him a free Pass on it telling him to just get to the restaurant. I miss them.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 10:25:51 am »
Until equality rules in the U.S., I think it is a terrible mistake to NOT have legal protections drawn up for same sex couples.
Families may be very accepting, but upon death -- especially when potential inheritance comes into play -- people can change their tune.
Sid and I have just about every document you can think of -- including docs that say we each decide what happens with the remains of the other.  I renew my will every few years, just so no one can argue that "my thoughts" changed over the years -- especially given that I have 5 grandchildren.  The few hundred dollars that it costs can just be viewed as an insurance payment.

Don't assume -- protect!!

Mike

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 10:46:46 am »
One thing allot of married couples forget to do is include a revokable power of attorney or trust for each spouse .

If one partner becomes incapacitated then the other can use the document to buy or sell property . It protects both of you from having to report to a court and give an accounting for what you spend or sell .

There have been cases where a married partner is forced to go to court to sell a home because a spouse is in a coma or not competent due to Alzheimer's or other condition's . If you do not have this document and a spouse is incapacitated in a long term care facility you cant even sell a house if the spouse is on the deed and if you get permission to do so the money may end up in a trust that you don't control .

I saw Suze Orman pleading with couples to do this simple thing , she gave many examples of why this particular legal document is vital in estate planning .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
One thing allot of married couples forget to do is include a revokable power of attorney or trust for each spouse .

If one partner becomes incapacitated then the other can use the document to buy or sell property . It protects both of you from having to report to a court and give an accounting for what you spend or sell .

There have been cases where a married partner is forced to go to court to sell a home because a spouse is in a coma or not competent due to Alzheimer's or other condition's . If you do not have this document and a spouse is incapacitated in a long term care facility you cant even sell a house if the spouse is on the deed and if you get permission to do so the money may end up in a trust that you don't control .

I saw Suze Orman pleading with couples to do this simple thing , she gave many examples of why this particular legal document is vital in estate planning .

Excellent point Jeff!!  You can't even do something as simple as find out your spouse/partner's credit card bill without this.  So, if they are incapacitated and you can't access their online bill -- you have no idea who and what to pay.  Call the card company and they should not even acknowledge an account exists if you aren't listed on the account too.

this is a very powerful tool so, of course, you want it drawn up very carefully (and not on the second date), to ensure you don't have someone run amok on you..........

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.