Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:46:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 753
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 729
Total: 732

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS Diagnosis vs. HIV Prognosis  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Maestro

AIDS Diagnosis vs. HIV Prognosis
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:57 am »
I'm not sure if I asked this before, so sorry if I am repeated myself...

I have read a ton about how the HAART treatment works so well for those  who are HIV+.  10+ years is not uncommon.  However, is there a different prognosis for HAART with someone who was already diagnosed with AIDS?  Is it just as effective?

Thanks for the info...

Maestro

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: AIDS Diagnosis vs. HIV Prognosis
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:16 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:27:50 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 09:11:32 am »
Alain,

He has about 1/2 your cd4 count....But aside from the PCP, never seems to get real sick (in the past anyways). 

So even with the lessened response to HAART, AIDS is still just as manageable through HAART?

M

Offline franfrog

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 09:18:30 am »
Well, as I am not an expert on this by far but I have my opinion.  I did not find out about my diagnosis until I was already in the stage of AIDS diagnosis.  I had a cd4 of 52 and spent a month in the hospital with the OI PCP.  I started HAART immediately following my diagnosis and within a month my numbers had dramatically improved.  Within the little over a year and my numbers seems to be climbing.  That is not to say my immune system has not had more damage since I was where I was when diagnosed but it is definitely a good sign that anyone can do it.  Just because you are diagnosed with AIDS and not HIV+, that you have any less of a chance.
Fran
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:22:57 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:27:14 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 09:39:49 am »
Well, as I am not an expert on this by far but I have my opinion.  I did not find out about my diagnosis until I was already in the stage of AIDS diagnosis.  I had a cd4 of 52 and spent a month in the hospital with the OI PCP.  I started HAART immediately following my diagnosis and within a month my numbers had dramatically improved.  Within the little over a year and my numbers seems to be climbing.  That is not to say my immune system has not had more damage since I was where I was when diagnosed but it is definitely a good sign that anyone can do it.  Just because you are diagnosed with AIDS and not HIV+, that you have any less of a chance.
Fran

Fran,

Your case sounds almost identical to my Uncles except for one major difference.  His CD4 has never gone above 180.  He has been on HAART since around 1999 when he was also admitted to the hospital with PCP and an AIDS diagnosis.

M

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 11:27:45 am »
Maestro,

I have to leave shortly, but wanted to give you an answer from someone who has been in this for some time.

When I was admitted to the hospital in 1994, with PCP, MAC, and other OIs; my CD4 was 20, but viral load off the charts.  I started medications at that time, but the PIs were not part of the picture for anther two years.  These are basicly the difference between HAART today and Medication cocktails of the past.  My feeling is similar to Allain's but with a bit of a difference.  I personally feel like the jury is still out on HAART therapy, and I feel very strongly that many of us will perish, due mainly to the wreched wear and tear that these drugs place on our internal organs.  Be that as it may, it took me almost 8 years of HAART to get my CD4s above 350, but I also have to add here that the way I live, the amount of sleep I get, and the food I eat, have had a remarkable difference in the response of my immune system.

For those who are not willing to invest in their helath, moderate their drinking, take care not to damage their immune systems in other ways; well, there is no way anyone can assure you that anything will take place in the future.  It is imperative that if anyone is going to thrive with HIV, then the whole life involvement with good health must be at the forefront of the way we live.  Anything else is pretty much a waste of time, as without a healthy immune system, nothing is guaranteed. 

Just wanted to let you know that "Book" definitions of case differences is not good enough.  We must all take care of the immune system we have, or we will literally die without it.  Thus, AIDS.  Immune Deffeciency is the end of our ability to sustain the status quo.  Without a healthy immune response, CD4s are pretty much useless.

In Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Maestro

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 12:35:21 pm »
Tim,

Wow...thanks for the great answer...Much insight.

Maestro

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 09:59:08 am »
Maestro,

Another aspect of HIV infection is that each of is is a unique biochemical entity and HIV's course may be strikingly different in two people who seem to be similar in most respects.  Some people who have AIDS when they start HAART rebound quickly and recover their health while others take much longer or succumb to the virus.  I know people who have had 0 t-cells for years who are still alive and others who died within a short time of their immune system collapse.   I've known guys who drank excessively and took drugs like mad, whose diets consisted of fast food or nothing and they live without problems while others ate well, excercised and did all the "right" things only to get sicker and sicker. 

Frankly, we don't understand enough about HIV to predict the course it will take in any one of us.  I think it's a combination of the virulence of your virus, your genetic make-up, your overall immune health, and other factors yet to be discovered. 

Boo   
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.