Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:38:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 529
Total: 532

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Old Prescription Glasses Needed in Botswana  (Read 3304 times)

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
Old Prescription Glasses Needed in Botswana
« on: August 01, 2007, 03:48:17 pm »
Hi friends,

I found this heartbreaking post on the Nata Village Blog of Botswana recently and contacted Melody Jenkins of the group that publishes the blog.  She and I discussed the need for prescription glasses (including sunglasses) for the elderly in her village and I decided to send out an appeal to you to donate any old prescription glasses that you might have around your home for these beautiful people. 

If you have some old glasses that you can part with, please bundle them up carefully and mail them directly to the village at the following address:

Nata Village Prescription Glasses
c/o Melody Jenkins
Box 144
Nata Village, Botswana, Africa

Please pass the link to this post around so that we can help as many people as possible.  I sent off 6 pairs of prescription glasses last week that were sitting in a drawer at my home for years.  Melody tells me that the need is great and that it would be a kind of blessing to be inundated with glasses.  She promises that they will not be wasted...Nata will share with other villages if they can not use all of the glasses that they receive.

I hope that you will join me in this effort.
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Old Prescription Glasses Needed in Botswana
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:40:28 pm »
An very admirable effort this one. Matty the Damned donated his old prescription glasses to a similar operation many years ago.

Visual impairment is an enormous problem in these communities -- especially those who don't have electric light. Being able to see greatly increases the amount of productive time a person has in every day.

MtD

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 07:43:34 pm »
DO they try to atch the precription to a person or do they make new lenses?  Just wondering if sending plain sunglasses helps at all (although I do have a 'script pair that I could send.)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 07:46:47 pm »
Well they don't have the resources to produce new prescription lenses for people so they match the prescription of the lenses you send in to the particular need of a patient. Hence why they don't mind being inundated with more than they need.

The more lenses, the greater the number of different prescriptions they have. I don't think plain sunnies would be much use (though it couldn't hurt), but prescription sunnies would probably be very welcome too.

MtD

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:17:59 pm »
I agree with Matty.  If you have some old sunnies, I am sure that someone would also find those useful.  This is a village where the nurses just received scrubs.  They were delivering HIV+ children in their street clothing without protection.  Donations have also made it possible for people to get private transport to the clinic rather than having to ride overcrowded and irregularly schedules buses.

Thanks for your interest! 

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Safe journeys!

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 06:39:03 am »
When my stuff arrives I'll dig out a couple of pairs I think are lurking around somewhere and send them off. I think Oxfam or one of the other charities in the UK does something similar too. Will check it out...

Thanks for the heads up, Ron.

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:34:56 am »
Thank you, Melia....J'aime bien votre photo!

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 10:42:32 am »
I wish I would have known about this earlier, I just gave two pair to the Lion's Club. I don't know where they send them.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 11:23:50 am »
I agree this is a worthy cause... but, I have been giving my support on a more local level here in Alabama to an orgainization to help those in need in Alabama for years... Faith Rescue Mission in Alabama... there are so many people who have fallen through the cracks of society... some to the fault of their own but, many who lack the resources here in our own backyard.

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:31 pm »
Absolutely!  If you have local organizations (I know the Lion's Club promotes vision health) that have a need, that is another great way to get additional use from your old glasses.  Those organizations often can give you receipts for your tax records as well. 

I have been working with the Nata Village Blog for nearly a year with the International Carnival of Pozitivities.  Their needs are so huge that even things that seem really minor to us have great impact there.  The nurses there have been given scrubs recently.  The were delivering babies in their street clothes before the gift.  When we think how totally rich we are in comparison, even if we are needy ourselves, it becomes apparent how little some countries do have.

I guess that most people (in America, at least) would think to donate locally and to well-established organizations such as the Red Cross and Lion's Clubs.  If we have awareness of groups that are less likely to receive aid, then maybe our impact can be greater if we extend our blessings to them instead. 

The choice is yours.  You can not go wrong in being helpful to people less fortunate than yourself.
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.