Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 165
Total: 168

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: C2EA Exposes HIV corruption in Puerto Rico  (Read 10265 times)

Offline Jody

C2EA Exposes HIV corruption in Puerto Rico
« on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:42 pm »
PEOPLE WITH AIDS IN PUERTO RICO ARE DYING
Para Español desplace el texto hacia abajo

PEOPLE WITH AIDS IN PUERTO RICO ARE DYING — THE GOVERNMENT OF PUERTO RICO MUST TAKE ACTION TO SAVE LIVES

Puerto Rico Governor Aníbal Acevedo Vilá and San Juan Mayor Jorge Santini Padilla are responsible for the HIV/AIDS health crisis in Puerto Rico:

The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the City of San Juan have grossly misspent Federal Ryan White dollars.
Audit after audit of Ryan White CARE Act expenditures in Puerto Rico have found mismanagement, fraud, and failure to provide basic lifesaving care.
As a result, new HIV infections, new AIDS diagnoses and deaths from AIDS in Puerto Rico are disproportionately high and getting higher.
Many people have no access to AIDS medications, many AIDS service organizations have curtailed or shut down services, and many employees of AIDS services organizations have gone months without pay.
HIV/AIDS advocates, Puerto Rican activists and their allies have called repeatedly for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the City of San Juan to do their job.

Now it's time for you to demand action that could save lives. It is time to tell Santini Padilla and Acevedo Vilá to act now to save lives and end the AIDS crisis in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico Governor Aníbal Acevedo Vilá and San Juan Mayor Jorge Santini Padilla are responsible for the HIV/AIDS health crisis in Puerto Rico:

The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the City of San Juan have grossly misspent Federal Ryan White dollars.
Audit after audit of Ryan White CARE Act expenditures in Puerto Rico have found mismanagement, fraud, and failure to provide basic lifesaving care.
As a result, new HIV infections, new AIDS diagnoses and deaths from AIDS in Puerto Rico are disproportionately high and getting higher.
Many people have no access to AIDS medications, many AIDS service organizations have curtailed or shut down services, and many employees of AIDS services organizations have gone months without pay.
HIV/AIDS advocates, Puerto Rican activists and their allies have called repeatedly for the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the City of San Juan to do their job.

Now it's time for you to demand action that could save lives. It is time to tell Santini Padilla and Acevedo Vilá to act now to save lives and end the AIDS crisis in Puerto Rico.

(1) Call Puerto Rico Governor Aníbal Acevedo Vilá toll-free at 888-802-1207

(2) Call San Juan Mayor Jorge Santini Padilla toll-free at 866-802-0640 (ask for the Mayor at extension 3000)

Tell them:

"Long term survivors, veterans of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, people with AIDS are dying in Puerto Rico because you haven't taken action to help them. We need action for change:

Stop covering up and allow an immediate federal receivership for AIDS funding in Puerto Rico to ensure medical care and HIV prevention for people who don't have it.
Conduct a full needs assessment of the patients, community based organizations, treatment and prevention education programs, to ascertain the real situation in Puerto Rico. If needed, declare the need for more federal funding under a receivership program.
Allow an independent authority to investigate the mismanagement and come up with a plan to end it.
Take immediate action to provide HIV prevention tools to IV drug users and empowerment efforts to fight stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS."
FAX ZAP TOO! You can also fax the Governor at 787-724-6942 and the Mayor at 787-725-5674 — download this document on the Puerto Rico AIDS crisis and fax away!

This action created and supported by the Campaign to End AIDS, the National Minority AIDS Council, Unid@s Dándole Cara al SIDA Puerto Rico and Unid@s Dándole Cara al SIDA New York, Latino Commission on AIDS and is an affiliated project of the Prevention Justice Mobilization .

To get involved contact activists on the front line:

WEB: unidosdandolecaraalsida.homestead.com
EMAIL: udcas-pr-home-chapter@googlegroups.com
PHONE: James Albino, NMAC: 202-234-5120 X303

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PERSONAS VIVIENDO CON SIDA EN PUERTO RICO SE ESTÁN MURIENDO — EL GOBIERNO DE PUERTO RICO NECESITA TOMAR ACCIÓN PARA SALVAR VIDAS

El Gobernador de Puerto Rico, Aníbal Acevedo Vilá, y el Alcalde San Juan, Jorge Santini Padilla, son responsables por la crisis de salud de VIH/SIDA en Puerto Rico.

El Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico y la Ciudad de San Juan han sido extremadamente negligentes en el uso de fondos de la Ley de Emergencia Ryan White sobre Recursos Integrales para el SIDA.
En ocasiones múltiples, auditorías del dinero usado bajo dicha ley han encontrado que hay mal manejo de fondos, fraude y fracaso en la provisión de cuidado básico de salud que salva vidas.
Como resultado de todo esto, en Puerto Rico los casos nuevos de VIH, los nuevos diagnósticos de SIDA y las muertes por causa del SIDA son desproporcionadamente altos y siguen subiendo.
Muchas personas no tienen acceso a sus medicamentos de SIDA, muchas organizaciones que proveen servicios y tratamiento de SIDA han cortado o cerrado sus operaciones, y muchos empleados de dichas organizaciones no han cobrado en varios meses.
Personas que abogan por los derechos de personas viviendo con VIH/SIDA, activistas puertorriqueños y sus aliados han reclamado en muchas ocasiones que el Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico y la Ciudad de San Juan hagan su trabajo.

Ha llegado la hora que usted demande la acción que puede salvar vidas. Hay que decirles a Santini Padilla y a Acevedo Vilá que actúen ahora mismo para salvar vidas y terminar la crisis de VIH/SIDA en la isla.

Llame libre de costo a Aníbal Acevedo Vilá, Gobernador de Puerto Rico, al 888-802-1207
Llame libre de costo a Jorge Santini Padilla, Alcalde de San Juan, 866-802-0640 (pida al alcalde en la extensión 3000)
Diles:

"Sobrevivientes a largo plazo, veteranos de la epidemia de VIH/SIDA, personas viviendo con SIDA, están muriendo en Puerto Rico porque usted no ha tomado acción para ayudarlos. Necesitamos acciones que generen cambio:

Dejen de cubrir los problemas y permitan la administración judicial inmediata para los fondos de SIDA en Puerto Rico para asegurar cuidado médico y prevención de VIH para las personas que no saben que tienen el virus.
Lleven a cabo una evaluación completa de los pacientes, organizaciones de base comunitaria, programas de tratamiento y educación y prevención, para averiguar y establecer la situación real en Puerto Rico. Si es necesario, declarar la necesidad para fondos federales adicionales bajo una programa de administración judicial.
Permitan que una autoridad independiente investigue el mal manejo de fondos y que desarrolle un plan para eliminarlo.
Tomen acción inmediata para proveer herramientas de prevención de VIH a usuarios de drogas inyectables y esfuerzos de apoderamiento para luchar contra el estigma y la discriminación contra las personas viviendo con VIH/SIDA."
¡MANDE UN FAX TAMBIÉN! Usted puede mandarle un fax al Gobernador al 787-724-6942 y al Alcalde al 787-725-5674 sigue el vínculo a este documento sobre la crisis de VIH/SIDA en Puerto Rico y mande el fax.

Esta acción fue creada y apoyada por Campaign to End AIDS, National Minority AIDS Council, Unid@s Dándole Cara al SIDA Puerto Rico y Unid@s Dándole Cara al SIDA New York, Latino Commission on AIDS y es un proyecto afiliado de Prevention Justice Mobilization.

Para involucrarse en la lucha para eradicar la crisis de VIH/SIDA en la isla, comuníquese con activistas luchando en las trincheras:

SITIO WEB: unidosdandolecaraalsida.homestead.com
TELÉFONO: James Albino, NMAC: 202-234-5120 X303

Click here for web version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
©2007 CAMPAIGN TO END AIDS | PRIVACY POLICY

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline emeraldize

Re: C2EA Exposes HIV corruption in Puerto Rico
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 11:34:51 pm »
Jody,
I'm glad you posted this. Will call tomorrow.
Em

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:20:13 pm »
Jody and anyone else who may be interested.

On November 19th, I did call the mayor's office in San Juan as instructed in the letter and, got a run-around of sorts.

So, I then called James Albino with NMAC who's listed at the bottom of the letter. Left a v-mail.

Today, he called me back and we talked briefly. Evidently, San Juan is openly hostile toward HIV positive people and he was in the process of writing a letter regarding the government having violated confidentiality by publishing the names of HIV positive people who were attending a particular meeting with government.

He said that original issue related to my call for which the letter was asking support is getting some limited attention. A favorable sign, but my no means a resolution. Evidently, there was enough fax activity, that the mayor's office disconnected their fax machine as a result.

They are, at least, paying attention to the influx of comments and concern. Plus, they are quite aware that others ARE watching how they are treating the Positive in San Juan.

PLEASE NOTE: According to James, the time for you to participate by calling on this issue is now past. However, if you wish to become involved in other activities in the future, here's the contact info.
WEB: unidosdandolecaraalsida.homestead.com
PHONE: James Albino, NMAC: 202-234-5120 X303
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 12:23:09 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:12:14 am »
Thank you for poswting this, but I am cautious about the strategy of calling the Mayor and Governor who are (if I am reading this right) partially responsible for the mismanagement to begin with.

IS there maybe a Washington or outside agency that can be contacted.

Modified:  I didn't see emeraldize's second post when I made mine, which makes me more uncertain of the original strategy

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 12:49:49 pm »
Hi Iggy,

Hope you're well. Call James Albeno to ask him about the strategy and why it was chosen. He's a serious-minded soul and I think would welcome the chance to talk with you.

EM

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:55:06 pm »
I posted about this a good six months ago you lazy fake activists! :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:05:17 pm »
Hey PhiloDough

You tawkin tah me? Jody? or Iggy? So's we ditnt see it. Yuze the lazy one fer not gettin' on everywun's ass about it.

Didju call da mayor of Pordo Rico? Huh? Didja?

Didju write to de Jewdiciary cumitee yet about dat Travel Ban? Huh? Didja?

;D Cheers to your transparent lazy fake self, too. Sorry I missed your post. Not sure I was activating at that point. But, I am now.

Em

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 08:01:34 pm »
Please honey, I've done enough good deeds on La Isla Bonita over the years.  I was on a first name basis with every male hustler in the Condado area throughout the entire decades of the 90's.

But seriously, there is an old thread on this and some of our local Puerto Rican board members weighed in on this atrocious situation.

Of course, they also dispose of unwanted stray dogs by placing them in garbage bags and throwing them off of bridges.  There was a rather unsavory article about this on AP last month.

Frankly I'm not sure what the solution is to the Ryan White problems down there -- it's massive corruption, which is not unusual especially in the Caribbean, but I'm not sure that a federal takeover would be possible of the program.  I'm not familiar with how the commonwealth status and local autonomy could be circumvented.  I would tend to advocate to local stateside congressional representatives to figure out some emergency measure that would remove these HIV/AIDS programs from local Puerto Rican authorities until they can get their house in order, which would probably take years considering how utterly fucked up the situation is.

Just an idea of course.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:41 pm »
Hi Philly,

Hey honey,when I get a minute, I'll search for the old P.R. thread. I appreciate you telling me about it.

Have you ever spoken with James Albeno at NMAC? He would be someone to run your idea by.

Em

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 11:12:28 am »
No, and I'm on a lil' vacation at the moment or I'd do some research on all of this.  When I get back maybe we can formulate something concise to do in terms of letter writing, etc.

I still find the situation there exceedingly tragic.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 12:10:54 pm »
Philly
I'll be away for a couple of weeks, but would be willing to work with you in 2008. It's possible the best thing might be to team with NMAC.

Ironically, a few months after my diagnosis, I'd been signed up for a cruise which took us briefly to San Juan P.R.  I was too numb and clueless about all things HIV to know the little tropical paradise was a living hell for positives.

Enjoy your vacation. Happy Holidays.
Em

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 02:13:33 pm »
All,

I'm due to go to Puerto Rico in two months for a week.  I know PR is a US territory, however is anyone aware of any issues for those traveling from  NY to PR with their HIV meds? I also understand that one does not need a passport (just driver's license or birth certificate) if a US citizen traveling to PR.

Thanks!
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.