Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:37:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 452
Total: 452

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DOes the time you get your labs work done affect T-Cell Count  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Lovinglife

• Life is too short for fussing & fighting my friend
This may just be a coincidence but when my lab work is taken in the morning my T-cells are significantly higher than if when they are taken in the afternoon.  Do we lose T-cells throughout the day? 
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: DOes the time you get your labs work done affect T-Cell Count
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 04:13:55 pm »
they can change greatly throughout the day.

Many people here recommend taking your labs at the time of day for the most consistency, but even doing so, there can still be a great variance.

That's why trending is so much more important than any individual snapshot of your cd4's.

Offline water duck

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 04:39:13 pm »
Was told by the nurse who do that the whole day ( means she pokes people the whole day)
the best time is around 11 am, something about the blood being 'full' . I did not offer anything much, i just listen, wishing that she does what she need to do ASAP so i can be out of there.

Siang
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:42:52 pm by water duck »

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:46:00 pm »
My Dr. always wants me to be there in the morning before 11:00 and not eat anything after mid night the night before....This makes for some consistency in the conditions......but there are still variances....not much but some ups and downs....The lab is located in his clinic so the same persons do the tests most of the time......
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline water duck

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:00:52 pm »
Funny i asked the question about the eating part that u said, i was told for HIV it make no differences, maybe someone could advise better !!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 08:18:58 pm »

I always manage to get my appointments in between 9:00 and 10:00Am.

Which is also a about an hour after taking my AM dose. I have often wondered about getting the blood drawn, that close to taking the first dose, and if anything is affected,(viral load in particular) or if results may vary because of it.

As oters stated, viral may vary throughout the day.

Have a great day------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 01:00:02 am »

I've wondered about this and even played with it. I ususally see me doctor in the afternoon around 3pm. I've worked out and had a big lunch. CD4=411. And then I just ran out of time and didn't have a big lunch and no work out. CD4=380. That freaked me out. So the next time I worked out and had a big lunch. CD4=430. But my VL was 69,000. I can't win. Am I spiking my results when I workout before the blood draw? I don't know. I guess I'd just rather see how high I can get than how low if it is even having an effect.

brian

Offline chris_in_georgia

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:37:11 pm »
Remember that the labs collected are more than just cd4 / VL %. Usually you also have a basic CBC w / diff included to show your doc a lot of overall numbers beside just the cd4 or cd8 numbers. For people on meds usually a set of specific labs are also included to see things that show how some sides are effecting them (lipids, cholesteral, liver function, kidney function, etc , etc) - this is actually good even for non-med patients too if your doc will order them.

I always get my labs done on the same day of the week (Wed) and close to the same time of the day (around 11:00 am). I must be fasting (water only) for 12 hours prior to labs. I was told many years ago to never get labs on Thurs or Fri's (I think it was due to freezing of labs and weekend shipping). It may no longer really be applicable, but I just stick to my Wednesdays just the same.

Getting labs drawn / processed by the same lab is important for consistency too - some labs report or process a little differently which could skew some lab results.

In any event the most important thing to pay attention to is your overall trends in different areas vs the numbers of any single test.

Good luck and happy testing.

Chris
"I wear my life right on my sleeve. Where I've been has left it's mark on me."http://www.jodeemessina.com/music/index.html

Poz since '88 - in it for the long haul.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.