Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:51:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773467
  • Total Topics: 66368
  • Online Today: 320
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 286
Total: 287

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: anal cytology, anal Pap smear and preparation?  (Read 7559 times)

Offline giangie92

• Standard
anal cytology, anal Pap smear and preparation?
« on: December 13, 2022, 07:06:40 am »
Hello!!! i am a new user and I have hiv.
 I have to take this test tomorrow.
is there a preparation to do before the pap test? Or enema?
did you have an enema before doing the cytology?  did the doctor tell you to do a preparation?

are there any guidelines about anal cytology?

forgive me for the mistakes.  I don't write English very well

Thanks to all
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 07:16:33 am by giangie92 »

Offline giangie92

• Standard
Re: anal cytology, anal Pap smear and preparation?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 11:07:19 am »
Nobody?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 12:17:22 pm »
Hiya,

Never had one but as far as I have heard, there is no special preparation for an anal pap smear, but this is something your doctor should have covered with you. Prehaps give them a call and check. https://www.verywellhealth.com/anal-papilloma-screening-47925

Sorry to hear you are living with HIV. How are you getting on and how is treatment going for you?
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline giangie92

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 02:19:50 pm »
Hiya,

Never had one but as far as I have heard, there is no special preparation for an anal pap smear, but this is something your doctor should have covered with you. Prehaps give them a call and check. https://www.verywellhealth.com/anal-papilloma-screening-47925

Sorry to hear you are living with HIV. How are you getting on and how is treatment going for you?

my doctor recommends the enema.  but I read on the internet that it is not recommended because the result is distorted.  I have had HIV for almost 3 years, acute infection.  immediate therapy with DOVATO

Offline giangie92

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 02:20:32 pm »
Can someone else who has already done the pap test answer?  thank you

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 03:21:53 pm »

I have had HIV for almost 3 years, acute infection.  immediate therapy with DOVATO

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you are on treatment and doing well, I presume. Now I got a few more details, I've moved your post into a different sub-section of the forum, and people can reply to you here if they so wish.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:26:37 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 05:06:15 pm »
HI,

The procedure is very simple and easy, and quick. I made sure to take a good bowel movement, prior to the procedure. Did NOT have to do an enima.

My Doctor inserted I believe about 4 different swabs, one at a time. It was painless and not uncomfortable.

Because I had gone through 2 of these previously, the 3rd pap smear was done, just a few hours after I did a fleet enima.

I will have to go through this again in February, where another one will be done, at that time, if A typical squamous is found, an appointment will be scheduled where they will do a further scan. This will be done in an operating room, under mild sedative and that procedure I was told. will also be very quick. At that time , the doctor will remove, anything of suspicion.

If there is a way to contact the doctor performing this, check to see if a fleet enima would be necessary for you. If t is required, read instructions carefully.  A fleet enima is not like what they do, prior to a colonoscopy, it only empties what is in the bowel or rectum area.

Here's a link :

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75836.msg777550

Good luck ---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 05:18:06 pm »
Here is another informative link:

https://healthtalk.unchealthcare.org/whats-an-anal-pap-test-and-do-you-need-one/#:~:text=The%20anal%20Pap%20test%20is,dysplastic%20(precancerous)%20or%20cancerous.

My infectious disease doctor did my first anal pap smear. We were discussing labs, and all of a sudden she ask " Would you like a pap smear done? " I said of course. I was not expecting it, took me by surprise, ans I did no prep for it.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 05:25:40 pm »
One more thing,

If you have had any issues with Condyloma or Anal warts, it's a good thing to have this Pap Smear done !

I had anal warts and condyloma removed many years ago. Also happy to say they have never returned. They were surgically removed.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline giangie92

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 06:51:40 pm »
so I don't do any preparation.  I understand that there is not much difference.  indeed making the enema can be worse

Offline giangie92

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 05:25:38 pm »
I had a pap smear today.
if there were traces of faeces in the collected sample, would the results come out wrong?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 05:37:29 pm »
I had a pap smear today.
if there were traces of faeces in the collected sample, would the results come out wrong?

Hi,..

I highly doubt it. did they tell you when you would get results ?

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline giangie92

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2022, 07:05:03 pm »
Hi,..

I highly doubt it. did they tell you when you would get results ?

Ray

Next time that I have hiv checkup, so in abril.
Anyway I will contact my doctor to receive it by email first part of report in about a week.
there will be 2 medical reports and both will be ready in about 3 weeks:
1 part is anal cytology
2 part is test HPV DNA.

I already did this pap test last year and the result was: AIN 1 and HPV 31 and 68.
they said that anoscopy HRA was not necessary but only to repeat the check with the pap smear after 1 year  and that’s now.
what do you think about it?
Thanks you

Ps: I have already had 3 gardasil 9 vaccines and 2 years ago I had one small perianal warts removed in the clinic by curettage of the lesion.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 07:09:12 pm by giangie92 »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2022, 10:19:29 pm »

I already did this pap test last year and the result was: AIN 1 and HPV 31 and 68.
they said that anoscopy HRA was not necessary but only to repeat the check with the pap smear after 1 year  and that’s now.
what do you think about it?
Thanks you

Hi,.

I would never want to second guess you Doctors. From what I am reading, your doctors seem very competent.

If you have concerns, you could probably try and get a second opinion. The good news is, you don't have HPV - 16 or HPV - 18. Those two have a better chance of developing into HPV cancers.

Let us know when you get the results, and don't hesitate to ask your doctors as many questions that you can.

Take care of yourself--Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2022, 10:28:44 pm »

I am not sure if I supplied this link to you or not, but would suggests you print it out, and show it to your doctor. And then, Voice your concerns and questions.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/infectious-agents/hpv-and-cancer#:~:text=High%2Drisk%20HPVs%20can%20cause,for%20most%20HPV%2Drelated%20cancers.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.