Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:00:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 301
Total: 302

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Early blip a concern?  (Read 9690 times)

Offline texashouston1

Early blip a concern?
« on: May 11, 2021, 10:27:01 pm »
Hi everyone,

I have been lucky to find this forum. Honestly reading everyone's experience and learning we all go over the same issues and questions gives me some piece of mind.

One of those issues is that I started my treatment early December 2020, with a VL baseline of 400,000. VL went down to 500 two weeks after treatment, and after my first covid vaccine (Moderna) in April the test was >20 (UD).

However, doctor asked me to have labs again after two weeks from second covid vaccine shot, and VL came up as 50. Is that considered a blip, even so early after initiating treatment?

Thanks!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Early blip a concern?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:10:16 am »
Hiya,

Glad to hear that you have started treatment and the labs are doing well.
How are you otherwise feeling/doing?

Regarding the 50 copies, it's not even a blip yet and you are in the first 6 months of treatment. I presume you were also newly diagnosed when you started treatment back in Dec?

Now, minor blips can happen for various reasons. However, I would not even think twice about this had it been my own results unless it was a continuously increasing trend over time and in the high hundreds to low thousands.

There is also strong evidence that as ART takes care of the active viral load some transient blips are nothing more than the detection of the low-level release of virus from existing reservoirs, including defective copies and that those who blip more often tend to have larger HIV reservoirs and hence it's not a concern for with the treatment etc.

See link for "What’s All This Fuss I Hear About Viral “Blips”?

Treatment wise, it's still generally accepted anything under 50 copies is fully suppressed (UD) so keep taking your meds correctly and this micro blip should be gone the next time you test.

Blips
What’s All This Fuss I Hear About Viral “Blips”?
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/70/12/2710/5573119

http://i-base.info/guides/changing/viral-load-blips

Viral Blips Don't Raise the Risk of HIV Treatment Failure
https://www.poz.com/article/viral-blips-raise-risk-hiv-treatment-failure

http://www.aidsmap.com/Spanish-study-gives-reassurance-small-HIV-blips-do-not-predict-treatment-failure/page/3085173/

Q&A on persistent low-level viremia.
https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline texashouston1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 08:44:17 am »
Thanks Jim!

And yes, I was newly diagnosed on November 24th 2020.

I am feeling really good so far. It felt really good seeing my first UD result mid April but this VL 50 result made me a bit anxious. I guess I am just being inpatient  :)

Thanks again

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 04:36:03 pm »
I also found this link on blips..
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4915053/#:~:text=Viral%20blips%20are%20defined%20as,time%20period%20of%20six%20weeks.

I was diagnosed in 2014 and it took me over 6 months for my viral load to go from 230,000 to 110.
For the first 3 years I would jump from an UD viral load to something under 200 while on triumeq, I felt like a yo-yo. But since 2017, I have not seen a blip and still on the same medication.

Not insinuating that this will happen to you, I had the virus for over 10 years before the aids diagnosis.. just saying you are doing well and one blip, especially in the beginning of treatment, is nothing to over worry about.

Your doctor is keeping an eye on your viral load "just in case", but if you're adherent to your treatment chances are that the blip is nothing but a blip.

It's like turning off a water faucet.. it drips a little bit before it totally dries up  ;)

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 10:41:34 pm »
Hi Texas,

It isn't technically a blip. Back in 2014 when I was diagnosed, 50 was the cut off for UD.

Not sure why your doctor wanted labs so soon after your vaccine shot, but you were in the window when your body is still making antibodies for Covid.

So it is probably like Jim said, just your immune system shedding some of your reservoir and the test is picking on that.

I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

Offline texashouston1

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 12:33:20 am »
Thank you everyone.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:05:19 am »
I felt like a yo-yo
this is a really interesting comment. Many people (if not most) seem to think that our body functions work in straight-line functions. In our situation that would be thinking that the viral load goes straight down to zero, with no blips back up; or CD4s going straight up from 200 to 1000 with no dips. That is not how bodies work. All day long, your blood pressure, temperature, cd4 and 1000s of other functions jump around. You could take 20 tests in a day and get 20 answers.

Taking meds don't even work in a straight-line function. An antibiotic doesn't immediately wipe out all the bacteria. It can take a week or more of antibiotics to completely do the job. ARVs don't immediately kill off HIV. ARVs simply stop viral replication of some of the free-floating virus. As time goes by, there is less and less virus, and so the med efficiency actually gets better as there are more meds in your body and less HIV.

a few other notes of interest to mention:
successful HIV treatment as defined in scientific studies as a viral load of <200. The word "undetectable" is not an accurate medical term. While there is test an expensive test that can accurately count down to a VL of 2, the average test these days counts to 20, labeling that as "undetectable" or "not detected". A micro-blip of cd4 count less than 200 means absolutely nothing to your health or effectiveness of the meds.

a single test with any size blip (25 to 5 million), especially when someone has remained adherent, means little by itself. Since our body functions are so variable, some results (like cd4 and VL) need to be viewed as the result of at least 3 tests over at least 3 months time. For example, viral load counts of UD, 250, UD graph out basically as a straight line of no change. Another example, a VL of 250k, 10k, 20k, 200, UD graphs out to a downward trend, even with that blip of 10 to 20k.

Unfortunately, HIV is never completely eradicated by the meds, and some latent HIV remains in reservoirs in our bodies. (that's why we have to keep taking meds for our lifetime) At any time, some of this HIV could become active and register if you are tested at that moment. this could easily result in a small "blip" that doesn't mean med failure.

Back in 2014 when I was diagnosed, 50 was the cut off for UD.
in 1992 (when I was diagnosed) there wasn't a viral load test. By 1996 (when I was first hospitalized with AIDS and PCP), a test had been developed that could count only as low at 10k. by 1998 (when I was hospitalized a second time with PCP), a viral load of 500 or less was considered successful treatment.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.