Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:08:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Got my 2nd test results and they look very confusing  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Japito

Got my 2nd test results and they look very confusing
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:43:36 pm »
I was diagnosed 2 months ago, my 1st results came out not bad according to my doc CD4 484, VL 7080, 27%.
Yesterday, went for my 2nd test results and they look very confusing, CD4 383, VL 5080, 21%.  I got concerned about the 100 drop in CD4, it's a lot.  It's true I'm been deeply depressed, but 100 drop seems to be too much to blame depression for it. I've been having issues with my stomach as well, and have lost around 10 lbs since diagnosed. My stomach has been bothering me for a while and I feel like it's inflamed, I'm afraid I might have a poisoned stomach.
My doc recommended to start taking pills against depression and I said we'll consider it. 
Do this number behavior seems normal to you guys? Am I going through the average "newbie to poz adaptation period" or I should get concern about my health?
Thank you,

Offline darwin

Re: Got my 2nd test results and they look very confusing
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »
I am still fairly new to all this as well:  As I understand it, CD4 count varies with circadian rhythm, diet, age, temperature... many, many factors.  I think changes of 100+/- are normal even in HIV- folks.

We'll need a more experienced poster to back me up though :)
October 2007 - Chose love/stupidity over protection
23 April - Diagnosed
30 April - CD4: 364/22.1% VL: 2,198
11 July - Started Viramune/Truvada
13 August - Undetectable

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:43:43 pm »
Japito, given your recent diagnosis, it's not at all abnormal for your t-cells to jump around for awhile.  And your viral load might as well.  Your % is good.  It takes the body time to get used to the new "invader."

About your stomach, since you mentioned depression, I would guess that maybe your tummy problems are due to the depression.  I'm not trying to diagnose you; if you have serious problems, seek the advice of your doctor. 

I would suggest that you try to get into a good therapist to talk out what's going on with you.  Depression can play lots of tricks on one's mind and one's body.  You might want to get in contact with your Aids Service Organization; they could recommend a good therapist, and a support group if warranted.  About the antidepressant, well, that's really a call between you and your doctor.  Good luck.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:42:32 am »
Numbers can jump from being high to extremely being low.  Since you are newly diagnosed its nothing very surprising.  It might take 2 or more test to find a trend in your numbers.   

As for stomach problem i cant really say its associated with depression.  Your Dr should be able to rule this out for you.  I think for now it would be ideal to find a professional counsellor whom you can open up on one to one basis so that he can find out the route of your depression.  Its easier to turn to hiv as a route when actually its other underlying problems which are causing the depression.

personally i was on antidepressants for five days and i stopped them because how i felt on them was worse than how i felt without them,  i realised I can deal with depression by talking to someone i feel comfortable with even if i know the person might not offer that much help but the fact that someone is listening makes it feel better for me.

Please seek medical advise on health issues and its my hope you get to grips with things as soon as possible, have a great better day
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline Bicepguy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:11:14 am »
Dont worry about the 100 drop - as stated above.  Also time of day, working out the day before, diet, being tired, and especially fighting an infection (eg in your stomach) can all effect CD4 and lower it. CD4s have a job to do - if you have an infection they wil e busy fighting it.

Once you reach a steady state and your body starts to re-gain control then CD4 becomes more stable and it will be monitored for a trend.  Your body will be killing of copies of HIV, whilst HIV continues to multiply, and the battle starts.

The trend in CD4 numbers is measured over 6, 9 12 months.  Each time you get blood results it adds to the trend data.  This way you can ignore blips up or down and see the long term pattern.
Co-infected HIV/HepC Geno 4. HIV HAART = Truvada/Sustiva, <50 VL, CD4 350-450, 30%.  Vast HCV V before starting Peg Interferon/Ribavarin Nov 2007 - zero VL after weeks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:46:02 am »
Japito, others have already said what I would about the numbers jumping around. Just make sure your doctor is keeping an eye on them and on your health in general.

As for the emotional part, you're bound to have a whole range of feelings coming up. The thing to avoid is isolation. I don't know where you're writing from and what is available to you in your area in terms of informed support like AIDS service organizations. If there is anything like that in your area they will likely offer either individual or group counseling. You are of course always welcome here to talk, to ask questions and to bring up anything that's on your mind.

If your stomach is really bothering you that's something to let your doctor know about. As far as medicating in relation to feelings I'm in a minority about that. We have our feelings and they come and go for good reasons. Sometimes medicating maybe helpful, but if one can tolerate them and know they aren't permanent, that's what personally I think is best.

It's good to hear from you. How is your day going today so far?

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline aliveinla

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 09:35:42 pm »
Don't worry about the jump. See my signature.
4/24/07: Last tested Neg
1/22/08: First tested Poz
1/30/08: CD4 393; 28%; VL: 44k
3/18/08: CD4 218; 26%; VL: 222K
4/24/08: CD4 402; 26%; VL: lab forgot
7/22/08: CD4 405; 25%; VL: 6,780
10/15/08: CD4 340, 26%; VL: N/A
2/4/09: CD4 394, 26%; VL: N/A
Jun 09: CD4 300, 25%; VL: 4000
Oct 09: CD4 324, 23%, VL: 10K
11/22/09: started Atripla
11/20/11: CD4 405; VL: UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.