Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:56:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 474
Total: 474

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Husband with low numbers, me with decent ones...what next?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline blackcat28

Husband with low numbers, me with decent ones...what next?
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:39:27 pm »
Hi all -

First time poster here.  Thank you all for your openness, honest, and kindness.  It helps to read these postings.

Anyway, my husband and I tested positive this year and have both just gone to our doctors this fall.  We are semi certain that our infection date was approximately 3 years ago.  We didn't know we were positive until I had a test related to a life insurance policy I was applying for (denied...lol...go figure).

So our test results have recently came back, mine came back pretty good - CD4 692 - but he was not so lucky.  His CD4 was 112.  He must be what they refer to as a "fast progressor."  The doctor started him on Bactrim immediately while they waited for his Genome test to come back.  He went back to the doctor today and he was put on Atripla.  He just took his first pill 5 minutes ago.  He did mention that the pill was huge!

My question in this: is he going to be ok?  I need him to be around for me and our families for a long time.  We are scared and worried.  Is the Atripla going to fix him?  Is it enough?  What can we expect next?  If his numbers do come up, are we out of the woods?  And if so, for how long?

I am sorry if these questions sound dumb, we are just looking for some real stories here as well as a little support.

Thank you all!

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: Husband with low numbers, me with decent ones...what next?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:13 pm »
Welcome to the forums. 

You will probably both do just fine.  It's good that he started Atripla and Bactrim before he actually got sick with anything.  There is the potential for some heightened risk over the next few months as he gets his immune system back up and running, but it isn't very likely he will have problems.

You might find the lessons on this site helpful (and comforting) too.  They are here  http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Introduction_4702.shtml

Hope things go well and we hear more from you

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:43:07 pm »
Blackcat28
Welcome, you are going to find a lot of good, open and honest information on this site.
My BF started Atripla on October 6, his numbers were CD4's 106 and his Viral load was 190,000
On November 3 he had another blood draw and when the numbers came back he was at CD4's 134 and Viral load 830, amazing progress for one month of meds.
Our doctor told us of a 80 year old woman he has treated for HIV over the past years and when she started Atripla her CD4 count was 4 and her viral load was over 3,000,000 and after Atripla she has had CD counts over 1000 and undetectable viral load for over a year. 
I understand your fear and worry, but think positive and see where his levels are at the next blood draw.  Reading the stories of people on here and their successes helped me to get through that first month of worrying, the posts and stories let me know that there is hope, and there is a very good chance my boyfriend would be better off in time after taking meds.
Hang in there, you guys are in my thoughts.

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:15:37 pm »
You will both be okay,  my partner started cd4 10 and is now over 600 on atripla,  it is taking me a bit longer to get my cd 4 up but I am not sick, have not gotten sick and follow the regimen.
You WILL be okay!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 09:18:13 am »
Hi Blackcat, welcome to the forums.

I've moved your thread from the "Someone I Care About" forum into the "Just Tested Poz" forum. As you are also poz, this is the more appropriate place for you to post. The "Someone" forum is for people who have a loved one or friend who is hiv positive, while they themselves are not.

There is every reason to believe your husband is going to be just fine. We have quite a few members here who have had even worse numbers than his and are doing good - great, even - now.

Hang in there, Blackcat. While the first year of diagnosis is bound to be a roller-coaster ride of emotions, it will eventually settle down. You're both going to be ok.

If you haven't already, you might want to read through the forum's main Welcome Thread (found in the Living forum), where you will find links to other sections of this website that you may find useful, such as the Lessons. If you have any questions after reading the Lessons, please feel free to come back into the forums to ask whatever questions you have. Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Hang in there!
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.