Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 375
Total: 376

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: post-exposure obsessions... please help me move on..  (Read 11791 times)

Offline wondering

post-exposure obsessions... please help me move on..
« on: June 16, 2006, 05:11:37 am »
Dear helpful people in this forum,

i was here before, and i had one encounter with a sex worker about a year or two ago.. i tested negative at 3 months and forgot about the whole incident for a while...

recently, i got a girlfriend.. while it was such a blessing, part of me felt guilt and part of me was scared of transmitting whatever i might have caught from that one night of foolishness i had to her, an innocent party.

Since we've been together, we frequently engage in mutual masturbation, and lots of kissing and frenching, and occasionally some oral sex. there was this one time when i kissed her that she said she could taste the smell of iron (i guess from the blood from my unhealthy gums?) in my saliva.

while i know that oral and masturbation is low risk, what are the chances that from that incident of kissing (my saliva having blood and all) that i could infect her, if i had any in me at all?

i've never told her anything abt this, and fear that i could harm her in any way. please let me know if i should get tested again, if any of my actions have brought her unecessary risks.?

Edit: oh, and she told me that she's had some white secretions from her vagina.. is this in any way, a sign or symptom?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:25:15 am by wondering »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Am i at risk of transmitting?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:46:30 am »
Since you tested negative for HIV at 3 months, you don't need to worry about transmitting HIV to your girlfriend or anyone else for that matter. Read the Welcome Thread and follow the links to the lessons section of this site.

Oral sex (for the insertive partner) and masturbation are not risk activities for the tranmission of HIV. Let me reinforce that, NO RISK not low risk.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:19:50 am »
Wondering,

I agree totally with Matty - nothing you have done with your girlfriend has been a transmission risk. But as you have reliably tested negative, you haven't put her at risk anyway.

You need to know that you must be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have BOTH tested negative TOGETHER. Of course, your test would be purely routine, as you already know your status, but you can't expect your partner to rely on your word about it, can you. You need to test TOGETHER BEFORE the condoms come off. It doesn't matter if the person you are having intercourse with is a sex worker or the girl (or boy) next door, you need to be using condoms. Period.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, please consider your recent testing as the beginning of a healthy habit. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

And as for your girlfriend's vaginal secretions, it could just be the normal colour changes that most women experience as we go through our monthly cycle. If it seems unusual to her, she needs to go to a doctor and get it checked out. That is the only way to know what's going on.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! Read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wondering

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:56:01 am »
right. thanks a lot for setting my heart to rest... the last thing i want is to endanger her... thanks again

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 07:57:11 am »
I'm glad we were able to help, Wondering.

Regards,

MtD

Offline wondering

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:02:09 am »
sorry i'm still here... just want to be sure about this...so even the kissing with blood in my saliva is not risky?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 08:04:59 am »
sorry i'm still here... just want to be sure about this...so even the kissing with blood in my saliva is not risky?

It's gross, but there's absolutely no risk in terms of HIV. ;) Human saliva contains things which inhibit HIV. Really, don't fret about this. Read the Welcome Thread, follow Ann's excellent advice and you'll be fine.

I promise.

MtD
(Who does not make promises lightly)

Offline wondering

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 08:14:19 am »
i'll go read the welcome thread and recommended texts now!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 08:18:13 am »
Wondering,

The best way you can thank us is by using condoms until you and your girlfriend are monogamous and have tested together. It doesn't matter who she is, how well you think you know her or what you think you know about her health or sexual history. You owe it to each other to test for all STIs, not just hiv, together before you even consider having intercourse without condoms.

And just as a side-note, you need to start brushing your teeth regularly and see a dentist. Not because of any hiv risk, because there isn't, but because it just isn't nice to have gums that bleed so much that your partner can taste/smell it. You'll also end up with no teeth. The health of your gums is very important - please take them seriously.

Again, the best way you can thank us is to use condoms and look after your health. That is the ultimate goal of this forum - to educate people on how to stay healthy and hiv-free. If you've learned something today, then we have done our job.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wondering

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 08:23:41 am »
righto, i'll use condoms when it comes to it... i've even stopped her from performing oral without telling her why since i suspected i might be putting her at risk.. i'm glad i'm not... i suppose we'll have a check when it comes to that sage... thanks for the advices :)

...and i'll brush my teeth more

Offline wondering

post-exposure obsessions... please help me move on..
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006, 01:40:53 pm »
hi... I think i may have landed myself in a situation in which i am unable to carry on my life normally... heres what happened..

about two years ago, i did something wrong, and was faced with the possibility of being infected with HIV. well, it was a painful and worrying wait for the 13 weeks test to come back negative... but life didn't go back to normal as i'd hoped..

i've developed an obsession, a phobia towards any kind of contact with things that (which i think) might have the slightest possibility of having HIV viruses. I know that most of these scenarios may sound absurd and stupid, but my mind doesnt think that way. and i know that most of these are impossible for transmission of the disease, but once again... my mind refuses to accept that rationale. i became paranoid. i got worried over small silly things, like having my dick splashed by my own urine when using a urinal. i wondered if the previous person who used the urinal was positive. i wondered if the flush worked. i wonder if the splash brings droplets from the previous person, and that i could be infected. When i walk on the street and step on a puddle, my mind thinks of the impossible scenario where someone could have bled into that puddle and i have a cut on my foot that enables infection. when i touch the lift buttons, i carry around antiseptic wipes to wipe my finger after pressing the buttons. i am afraid of using public toilets. i shy away from human contact. i dare not shake hands with people i dont know well. i took too many elisa tests. i've registered, and registered numerous times on this forms, and posted too many illogical worries here.

All the while, my mind keeps telling me that i've been through so much to survive that one incident, that i shouldnt be careless and let some other random incident affect me. And all the while i know all those other random things that happens are impossible for transmission, yet i worry myself sick after each time i thought i put myself at risk. It is affecting my life. At the expense of my social life, money and time, this obsession is eating me away. i know i need it to stop. but i don't know how. Can someone please help me? anyone? please... i plead... i need to move on...

Offline RapidRod

Re: post-exposure obsessions... please help me move on..
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006, 01:49:07 pm »
Please keep all your questions, thoughts and concerns in your orginal thread.

Offline wondering

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 01:52:30 pm »
im so sorry... my previous topic was so long ago and  buried behind so many pages i thought it was better to start off a new topic.. and my original, original thread... i don't even remember what username and password i used...

i'm so very sorry...

can we talk in this thread instead?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 01:54:15 pm by wondering »

Offline RapidRod

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 02:04:14 pm »
Man, this is clearly so much more of a mental health issue than an HIV worry...and as such, it is outside the scope of help that this site is trying to provide, I think.  My only advice is to seek out the help of a mental health professional...a counselor or physchologist or the like.  As you have stated yourself, these are not real-world HIV concerns at all.  It is a psychological issue that needs addressing- not a viral one. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 02:16:19 pm »
Well, we know that you have reliably tested negative. So you are definitely HIV negative. Period. End of that story.

Now, as to what you're describing as an unmanageable concern about HIV in general, that's a whole other matter. We're talking feelings and not facts. That's a domain we cannot help you with here.

If you can't let go of these concern then you need to talk with a therapist or other like professional to get some help with sorting it out.

Happily this is not an HIV situation, but that doesn't mean you should just ignore what's going on. Get the proper help as life is way too short to spend this way.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 08:53:55 pm »
wondering,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I'd also like to warn you that we only allow one account per person here. You registered, but did not activate, a new account today. If I catch you creating another new account or using the new one you created today, you will be banned, no questions asked. This is all spelled out in the Terms of Membership you agreed to when you joined.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wondering

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 09:49:17 pm »
hi, ann... thanks... the reason i wanted to start a new account (as is everytime) is i forget my password and account name... until now only i realized that there is the forget password feature and that one of the emails that i have is still online( you know how yahoo deletes inactive accounts.) very sorry about that.

so i should see a psych-doctor now? a mental doctor or something? they're kinda expensive... they charge per hour... right? i'm not sure how i'm gonna afford that..

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006, 06:28:05 pm »
hi, ann... thanks... the reason i wanted to start a new account (as is everytime) is i forget my password and account name... until now only i realized that there is the forget password feature and that one of the emails that i have is still online( you know how yahoo deletes inactive accounts.) very sorry about that.

so i should see a psych-doctor now? a mental doctor or something? they're kinda expensive... they charge per hour... right? i'm not sure how i'm gonna afford that..
Do you have insurance that would cover mental health treatment?  Another option would be if you had a clinic that caters to the more low income crowd and charges on a sliding scale based on your income.  I remember using one in college and since I was rather poor, I only ended up paying $3/visit.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline wondering

Getting infected from a dirty test vial?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:41 am »
Hi people, i am worried if i may get infected through direct IV contact.....

i just came back from a blood test (done so that i can be admitted to a school), and the vial i was handed to take my blood was kinda, dirty... it had these stains.. like patches black, grey maybe?... which i thought, ok since this vial is only for containing my blood, some stains are ok, they won't get me.

I didn't know until too late, that now they take blood with the needle directly to the vial, instead of using a syringe. And I am so bloody stupid to not have stopped the nurse and ask her about the stains before she took the blood. Also, she tilted the vial in a way that i think some blood that was in the vial went back to my veins. I asked the Doc later about the stain, and he said that the vacuum vials are supposed to be clear and clean...

so...

will i have a problem here? suppose that it is not just dirt in the vial... would i get infected the way people get infected from needlestick injuries? do i stand any risk? I hear that a clinic was once found to have used dirty vials, and thousands of people needed to get tested as a result? please answer, thanks. i'm really worried..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:59:31 am by wondering »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Getting infected from a dirty test vial?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 07:02:44 am »
Your questions will not be answered until you put them in your orginal thread.

Offline wondering

Re: Getting infected from a dirty test vial?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 07:05:36 am »
but isn't it a different topic altogether? i would, but i thought this is more appropriate since you know exactly what im asking for just by looking at the topic?

fine. i'll post it in the original thread, but please reply.

Offline wondering

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:32 am »
Hi people, i am worried if i may get infected through direct IV contact.....

i just came back from a blood test (done so that i can be admitted to a school), and the vial i was handed to take my blood was kinda, dirty... it had these stains.. like patches black, grey maybe?... which i thought, ok since this vial is only for containing my blood, some stains are ok, they won't get me.

I didn't know until too late, that now they take blood with the needle directly to the vial, instead of using a syringe. And I am so bloody stupid to not have stopped the nurse and ask her about the stains before she took the blood. Also, she tilted the vial in a way that i think some blood that was in the vial went back to my veins. I asked the Doc later about the stain, and he said that the vacuum vials are supposed to be clear and clean...

so...

will i have a problem here? suppose that it is not just dirt in the vial... would i get infected the way people get infected from needlestick injuries? do i stand any risk? I hear that a clinic was once found to have used dirty vials, and thousands of people needed to get tested as a result? please answer, thanks. i'm really worried..

Offline wondering

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 07:08:32 am »
Rapidrod, i have done as you said. could you pleaase change the topic or something so people know what i'm talking about now and not two years ago?

and please guys, could you treat this as a new case and not be prejudiced by my previous postings? i had moved on from my previous problems. but now this has surfaced - its a completely different story this time
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:10:18 am by wondering »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 07:12:01 am »
You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV in the situation you provided.

Offline wondering

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15:17 am »
could you explain please? i know you are very fed-up with me and my questions. but i'm trying hard to rationalize with myself that i'm not at risk either, and i need some expert advice on exactly why i don't.

so could you please please, not be so combative towards me and elaborate a little on how you think it's no risk? it's a direct IV contact after all... and from what i've heard, hiv survives well in a sealed container?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 07:18:49 am »
Your blood was taken with a vacuum container. The blood is withdrawn not injected. What you thought was a stain was more than likely an Agar slant vial. NO RISK.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:21:04 am by RapidRod »

Offline wondering

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 07:21:25 am »
thank you very much rapidrod. i am very grateful.

sorry, what is an 'agar slant'?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 07:24:24 am »
A medium put in the bottom of vials to run additional cultures.

Offline wondering

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 07:28:43 am »
thanks rapid... am i to assume that these agar are standardly-used in blood test vials? i tried to google this but nothing turned up.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 07:30:26 am »
Yes they are.

Offline wondering

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:27 am »
thank you very, very much rapidrod. thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 07:46:53 am »
I've merged your threads. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

We cannot help you in this setting with your lingering fears and concerns. If you continue to be troubled about HIV, then it's about feelings and not facts based in HIV science. See a therapist or other mental health professional to discuss the situation. That's beyond our domain to address properly.

This is not an HIV situation. Good luck to you. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.