Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:10:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 372
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is there any benefit in partners being on the same medication?  (Read 4471 times)

Offline fearless

Is there any benefit in partners being on the same medication?
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:16:51 pm »
that's the question.

Is there any benefit in me changing my medication which is working and which I have no side effects issues with so that I'm on the same medication as my man?

I'm on Prezista (with a Norvir booster) and Truvada.
He's about to start treatment with Reyataz and Truvada. (Prezista is not available in Aus for those starting treatment for the first time)

The immediate benefit to me in a switch is that I could go from twice a day dosing to once a day. Are there any other benefits/pitfalls that I should know about.

Stephen
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Cliff

Re: Is there any benefit in partners being on the same medication?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:49:41 am »
Don't know.  But I would have guessed one detriment is the risk of you or your partner becoming resistant to the meds and passing it on to the other more easily since you're on the same meds.  But since I think that risk is low, I would go with switching if the once a day is better for you!

Hope all is well.  This may be the year I get off my bum and come down there!

c

What happened to 'Lil Steve'?  Has it been retired?

Offline fearless

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 06:05:44 pm »
Thanks Cliff,

I hadn't thought of that. Will chat to my doc I guess.

Yay. hope you do make it here. would be great to finally meet.

Lil Steve still exists. I guess I must have been in 'work' mode where I am Stephen. Or, am I just getting a little more mature!!! (somehow, I doubt that).

Lil Steve ;)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:45:47 pm »
If you are both undetectable and have unprotected sex there is no susbtantial risk of transmitting resistance here. Its a moot point if there is even if one of you is on treatment and undetectable.

Prezista can be done once a day 800mg with a 100mg ritonavir boost. This is not recommended for people with treatment experience, but it bears discussion. There just hasn't been enough research to say. The pharmokinetics of Reyataz are better, but it has a different resistance profile. Why wasn't this drug chosen instead when you switched to Prez? Perhaps resistance rules the handy R out for you? Your resistance test, if it's on file, will tell you.

There are benefits of being on the same meds, certainly because if these is a risk of transmitted resistance, this is eliminated provided you both stay undetecatable (but Prez being stronger and more versatile, this is not really your problem) but also the practical question of short-term stock-outs/boyfriend refills -- handy, and same time, lovey-dovey dosing -- cute.

But I really wouldn't worry about the resistance thing if/when you are both undetectable.

Good to hear from you.

Enjoy the hot tub. Be careful with matches.

- matt

Edited for crap spelling
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 06:47:58 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:51:40 pm »
Thanks Matt,

I have no resistance issues but rather chose Prezista over Reyataz at the time I switched from Kaletra. I'd heard such good reports about Prezista that I wanted it and demanded it over Reyataz  ;D
I was only allowed to get Prezista as I was in a trial (me in the control arm taking Kaletra with adverse side effects got me the guernsey).

I take 2 300mg tabs of Prezista twice a day. We don't have the 400mg or 800mg tabs in Aus yet and the 'guidelines' so far don't allow treatment naive access, or single daily dosing for treatment experienced.

Would be nice to go to once a day dosing - always have my morning one and always on time. Evenings not always on time, but within a couple of hours.
And, as you noted the practicalities of it, esp as boyfriend lives in the bush - one of us is gonna forget to bring his pills one day. And, we could do the whole yellow thing together when we start.  ::)

My doctor will laugh, sarcastically, as he was trying to get me onto Reyataz two years back.  :D

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:49:26 pm »
Uh, so this is no longer just a "trick"?  We've gone up to the "P" word now, have we?  tut tut
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:08 pm »
Believe it or not, it's been 9 months now??? man, how time flies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:33 am »
Wow Steve, nine months? It seems like only yesterday I was telling you what a great bloke you are and that your prince charming was most likely just around the corner. I'm really happy for you both.

Good luck with the Razzmatazz and being colour-coordinated!

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:17:34 pm »
I have been on the once a day Prezista ( 3x 300mg)  + Norvir combo for more than a year  ,,no particular issues with side effects  except  a whole lot less  "D"  .....now that the 400mg has been made more available I will go to two 400mg + Norvir   from the  3x300 mg I was taking   My Dr says he has seen very favorable results with this combo from many patients...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:48 pm »
Cheers mate to your relationship.  And may it last forever...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 12:27:33 am »
Hey Steve,

I just wanted to say congrats with the nine-month anniversary.

Your man still living the good life in the country?

I remember those great photos.

I've not heard of coordinating meds before, but there is a first time for everything.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.