Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:12:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 724
Total: 726

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atheist Anti-Holiday Sign Stolen Then Returned to Washington Statehouse  (Read 2168 times)

Seadickrun

An atheist group put up a holiday sign at the Washington State Courthouse right next to the Nativity Scene saying the following:

"At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

Bill O'Reilly dedicated 8 minutes of his show to this controversy asking viewers to call Governor Gregoire demanding it be removed.  Then, someone stole the sign and dropped it off at conservative radio talk-show host Ichabad Crane, who promptly called the police. 

The sign has been redisplayed in the courthouse (now with with a note quoting the bible's commandment against stealing) and officers are viewing video footage to see if they can make an arrest.  And of course, Christians are rushing to the courthouse to protest and add more signs. 

As you can see from all of this drama, life here in Washington State is pretty easy and we can't find more pressing things to do with our time:))

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_120508WAB_atheist_holiday_display_KS.3284f26e.html

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: Atheist Anti-Holiday Sign Stolen Then Returned to Washington Statehouse
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:10:28 am »
People are really remarkably stupid. I forget sometimes.  :-\

I really liked the grungy cigarette-voiced woman that talked about it killing the spirit. LOL.

Seadickrun

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
Last year at SeaTac airport, all of the Christmas trees were taken down after a Rabbi threatened to sue the Port of Seattle because they wouldn't allow an 8-foot nemorah to be displayed. 

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/295428_trees11.html

I think next holiday season, things will be pretty neutral in all of the public places.  Otherwise, I may have to exercise MY constitutional rights and display a Solstice Circle on public property. And I always cast my circles in the nude:)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:17:37 am »
I think next holiday season, things will be pretty neutral in all of the public places.  Otherwise, I may have to exercise MY constitutional rights and display a Solstice Circle on public property. And I always cast my circles in the nude:)

You cast a Solstice Circle skyclad in December!?!

It must be warmer in Washington than it is here. BRRRRRRR!

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Seadickrun

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:43:34 am »
Today, protests were held at the Capitol in response to the atheist display.  It was led by Steve Wilson and attended by the notorious anti-gay Pastor Ken Hutchinson.  http://www.gaypatriot.net/2005/04/28/the-hullabaloo-over-microsoft/

Now someone is going to put up a "Festivus for the Rest of Us" display at the Capitol.  This season just keeps getting better. http://www.komonews.com/news/local/35616504.html

You cast a Solstice Circle skyclad in December!?!

It must be warmer in Washington than it is here. BRRRRRRR!

HUGS,

Mark

Bonfire!!  Plus I was thinking of indoors at the Capitol Building:)

Frosts are uncommon here, snow is a big deal and is almost always gone the same day, and December should be in the 40's everyday.  I've lived here 21 years and have only seen enough snow to slide downhill twice.  However, 40 miles away in the mountains, there is usually 10' of snow and it sticks around till June.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.