Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:27:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 620
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Scared and don't know what to do.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline WorriedAussieGuy

• Standard
Scared and don't know what to do.
« on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:24 am »
Hi everyone,

Sorry if you've heard this story before but I'm worrying myself sick about an incident I had a couple of years ago in June 2011.  I, identify as a heterosexual however, I have always been curious about what it would be like to be with another guy.  So, one night after a couple of beers I decided to give it a go.  I downloaded an app for my phone and started the search.  After a couple of hours I found a guy to have my "first time" with, I was nervous as hell and didn't ask any questions about his past.  I performed unprotected oral sex on him, and then after that I was the receptive partner.  I said to him in my original messages to him, to bring condoms and lube as I only practice safe sex.  When I was on my back and I could clearly see that he had a condom on, however when we changed positions I couldn't see whether he had the condom on or whether he had taken it off.  After a little while, he finished and I couldn't feel him ejaculate inside me and when I turned around I see that he had the condom on, but not much ejaculate inside.  After he left, I tried to see if he had ejaculated inside me, but nothing came out.  Now, this is where it gets a little tricky.  This all happened on the 16th of June 2011. 

I went to the doctor and got tested for all STD's including HIV.  I got blood drawn and a urine test on the 16th July and got the results back on the 22nd of July which all tests were negative.  Now, ever since I have been worried about this guy removing the condom and infecting me with HIV.  I have been reading about ARS symptoms and there is a bit of information out there about it, but I can say that I did have night sweats, probably a couple of nights at most.  I did get a temperature but this didn't last long, not sure about swollen lymph nodes cause I certainly didn't notice anything and they didn't hurt, weren't swollen from what I can remember.  I did get a dark rash on chest and back, but this disappeared quickly, didn't itch and there was no blisters / strange lesions on the rash.  I didn't get a sore throat, diarrhea or vomiting.  Minor headaches in the morning.  No strange sores or thrush symptoms in the mouth either.  Nearly 2 years on, I have been diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety, but I am having problems with my hearing, memory and vision.  I feel that my toe nails feel different, and I have a raised horizontal ridge across my two big toes.  Probably all not related at all.

Now I am scared that all the symptoms that I did have are related to HIV. My questions are this.  Even though I tested HIV negative at 30+ days, what's the chances that I remain HIV negative and all the symptoms are related to anxiety and stress?

Given that I did not agree to having unprotected sex, and this guy potentially took the condom off and has infected me with HIV, what are my options to get this guy charged with intentionally infecting people with HIV?

Are there any symptoms after 2 years that would be evident?  I know you can't rely on symptoms alone, but I am scared out of my mind.

The doctor didn't tell me what type of test the HIV test was going to be, all it had written was "HIV antibodies", so I am not sure what test it would have been.  Would it be accurate at 30+ days?  I have read that its 98% accurate at 4 weeks, but then again, some other posts indicate a different timeframe for accuracy.

Since this was my first and only receptive anal experience, is there a chance that I am HIV negative, or do all the symptoms point towards a Positive diagnosis?

As you can see, I am scared shi#less, and I am worrying myself sick.  I am scared of taking another test and potentially getting the positive verdict.  I don't know what will happen if its positive.

PLEASE HELP ME. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Scared and don't know what to do.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:34:08 am »
Guy,

You can stop talking about prosecuting this guy right now. You said yourself the condom was on him when you finished. So what if there wasn't much cum in the condom - you yourself should know that if you engage in a lot of wanking, the amount of ejaculate you produce can be lower than if you hadn't cum for weeks.

You won't find any advocates of hiv criminalisation here. Criminalising hiv is counter-productive and leads to fewer people being tested.

You didn't have a risk for hiv infection when you experimented with another man. Condoms have been proven to prevent hiv infection and a condom was used. It's as simple as that.

I find it telling that you've only tested over being with another man. How many women have you been with? Straight people get hiv too you know and it's the height of discrimination to believe otherwise.

As a sexually active adult, you should be testing regularly regardless of who you're having sex with.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WorriedAussieGuy

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for getting back to me, it's greatly appreciated and I value your feedback. One thing that you have raised is valid about being in a monogamous relationship and after reading my post I forgot to add that I have been married to the same woman for the last 11 years and I have 3 kids. A part of the pregnancy we were checked for all STIs including Hiv which came up as negative.

I didn't mean to sound discriminatory in my post and believe me when I have read enough posts and blogs about heterosexual couples with hiv, probably not doing me any good by reading all these posts, but I am scared out of my wits. As for criminalising hiv, I understand your viewpoint and totally agree but if I was lead to believe we were having safe sex, and in fact we weren't, I think thats enough reason to prosecute, I am sure you would think the same?

I value your feedback and any further thoughts from you or advice you can give would help put my mind at ease.

Thanks,

Guy

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:06:04 pm »
Hi Worried Guy ... Forgive me for being blunt , you never had a risk and all this talk of some guy tricking you into unsafe sex is frankly beyond paranoid . If you cant except the fact you are HIV negative then go test again , collect your negative result and move on with your life .

I have had HIV for 30 years , I got the virus because I had unprotected anal sex . It never once entered my mind to hold anyone other than myself responsible and it strikes me as odd that you are talking about hypothetically prosecuting a guy instead of testing to alleviate your unreasonable fear that some guy decided to take off a condom and deliberately infect you with HIV .

I suggest counseling , then maybe you can deal with the guilt of cheating on your wife and then perhaps you can stop looking for a villain to prosecute . I'm wishing you the best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.