Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:11:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 492
Total: 494

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: green tea anyone?  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Peacock

green tea anyone?
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:45:26 am »
I love tea, normal black tea, or decaffenated..nothing like a lovely cuppa tea.
I also force down many cups of green tea, throughout the day.
Why?
because I feel I need to drink more liquid and I dont like tap water, and at least after boiling the water I can let my cup stand for hours while the green tea bag soaks..I can sip it throughout the day, and when its finished I just top the cup up with more boiling water. To the horror of my work collegues!
Another reason why I speciifically enjoy 'LIPTON' Green tea is because if I sip it while its very hot it actually makes me feel kinda ''high''. a nice high where I feel alert but calm  and relaxed at the same time. (strange ey?!) a bit like how you feel after a cigarrette.
I had to recently try a different (South African brand) Green tea- but it doesnt give me the high that Lipton gives me. Lipton is more bitter tasting but so much more pleasing.
I hope its not toxic to consume about 3 cups a day.
Anybody experienced health benefits from Green Tea? I must admit I suffered from constipation throughout my 20's but its been a very long time since Ive last suffred from terrible constipation.
Its not a wonder healer, but its the one thing Ive stuck with since I first started it..Im more consistent with my Green tea than I am about my vitamins.
Anybody else drink green tea religiously?

Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline Scotian

Re: green tea anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:30 pm »
I don't drink green tea "religiously'...but now and then I'll have a cup. I like the earthy taste. I drink a local organic green tea...never had Liptons...maybe I'll give it a try. I must admit, I find black tea the only one that gives me that 'hit'. I quit drinking coffee about 6-7 years ago, so the black tea is as close as I can get  :)  No doubt green tea ( and most teas) have antioxidant properties and you can definitely drink more (than coffee) without adverse effects.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:30:28 pm »
I certainly became enamored with Green Tea Supplements when there was some evidence that Green Tea seemed to boost immune function in a Japanese study regarding cancer patients.

The logic is that if Green Tea boosts the immune system, then perhaps we can benefit.

So being that my CD4 was hovering in the low 400's. I gave it a try using a decaffeinated concentrated Green Tea Supplement that focused on the Catchetins (ECGC), equivelent to 10 cups of Green Tea per capsule. I would take one in the morning and one in the evening.

After i added it to my supplement program, my CD4 and percentage went up over 6 months. 20% (480). But my VL also went up 100%. (about 100k).

But after a year, my CD4 dropped back to the low 400's, and the VL did drop back. Funny how getting my CD4's up coincided with the increase in VL.

While I have nothing scientific regarding the boost I experienced. It did happen after I added the supplement. What also happened is that the effect was temporary, if in fact it did happen. And i decided to drop it from my routine. After my test in Winter, my CD4 dropped below 400 and my doc said it was time. I thought I give GT a go again to see what would happen.

This time, no upward swing, in fact VL increased back over 100k and my CD4 dropped into the 290's. And now I'm on PI based regimen.

Drinking GT as a beverage is probably fine. Hard to drink 20 cups a day.

I essentially was taking what cancer patients were taking, 20 cups of GT equivalent.

I can't make any claims, but in retrospect, I'm not sure personally from my experience, that GT in excessive quantities is a good idea.

Its hard, however, to think long term with HIV, except when to start meds. If GT helped, it was temporary. And perhaps the increase of VL, which may be unrelated, may have shaken my equialibrium with HIV that I had been experiencing. Regardless, in the end, how much difference could it have made. Even if I didn't take GT, how long could I have held out in the low 400's?

That's the problem with supps. I take them still. But much of it is guesswork, and the effectiveness, if any, is probably highly variable.

Supplements certainly won't pass any FDA panel for the treatment of HIV. The efficacy alone is probably so low as to be regarded as ineffective.

Still, if you take CD4 and VL off the table as the focus. There is a place for supplements in dealing with Diarrhea, (glutamine), General Immune and skeletal support (D3), and Metobolic and PN effects (Acetyl L Carnintine.)

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 11:28:29 pm »
i love a cup of tea it always makes me feel cozy and soothes my stomach or scratchy throat when i get sick.
its that feeling of comfort you get like when you know mom is taking care of you and brings you some tea with honey and lemon.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:42:08 pm »
I drink water mostly, but I do like a glass off diet green iced tea. I think I may have to pour myself a glass now.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:32 pm »
Risred1, what is a "PI based regimen"? thx

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:23:54 pm »
yes every day a few glasses of iced green tea with fresh lemon.

its supposed to be great for you.  I dunno. I hope it counterbalances all that champagne I drink.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:12 am »
Hi,

I buy it buy the jug I don't prefer the hot green tea, but I do like the cold tea ! I have a glass just about everyday.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.