Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:56:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 735
Total: 737

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I'm 99% sure I'm about to be diagnosed with HIV.  (Read 8783 times)

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
I'm 99% sure I'm about to be diagnosed with HIV.
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:21:11 am »
I'm a gay male. I have only had one sexual partner in the past two years. Prior to this sexual experience, I was conclusively tested negative for all STDs including HIV well beyond all window periods. This is my timeline.

On June 1st, an ex-boyfriend that I haven't spoken to in 5 years contacted me and told me he would be in town for a night on business and asked if we could get together. He assured me he was negative for all STDs. As we had dated for a brief time years ago, I trusted him. That night we engaged in oral sex WITHOUT ejaculation. We both finished on ourselves by mutual masturbation. These aren't particularly risks as far as I'm concerned. What concerns me is that before we even began the oral sex, he was cuddling me from behind, and briefly inserted his penis into my anus for about 3 seconds. I heard this is called dipping. I was angry with him, but he assured me he was negative for HIV and other STDs, so I believed him and as I had no insurance at the time, didn't seek PEP. Besides that brief dip, no other anal sex occurred.

Two weeks later I wake up with an illness that had knocked me flat on my back. Chills, low-grade fever (99.3-99.5 at it's highest), extreme fatigue that took my breath away, headaches, neck stiffness, terrible muscle and joint aches, muscle twitches, a rash on my elbows, and a bad metallic taste in my mouth. As a gay man who knows his fair share about HIV, I was assuming this was ARS because of the timeline and symptoms. (Who gets the flu in the summer)? This has lasted up until now (3 months of this illness) and it is only now showing signs of letting up. Since then, he still claims to be negative, but has been acting sketchy and avoiding me. I didn't believe him so I waited to be tested.

9 weeks post exposure, I went to the doctor and they tested me for basically everything. All STDs including HIV, Hepatitis A, B, and C, thyroid, other autoimmune diseases (lupus) etc..., lyme, complete blood count, lipid panel, toxoplasmosis, mono (ebv), cmv, sarcoidosis, endocarditis, etc... A whole gambit of tests. Everything came back negative and normal, yet everyday I wake up feeling like I have been hit by a bus and have a bad case of the flu. The doctors can't figure out why. My symptoms are not the psychosomatic kind. They are very real and debilitating. Recently I've developed a severe dry, rough, flaky patch on my face that I believe to be seborrheic dermatitis.

These are my HIV test results thus far:
At 9 weeks post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative
At 12 weeks post exposure I had an ORAQUICK oral home test-Negative
At 13 weeks post exposure I had an ORAQUICK oral home test-Negative
At 14 weeks (more than 3 months) post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative

I was constantly preparing myself for a positive result, so it shocked me to repeatedly get negative results. It was like I was holding my breath for my life to change forever, and it didn't happen each time. My doctor told me she no longer thinks it's HIV because I've consistently tested negative and outside the window period.

My symptoms have continued to this day (3 months later). I'm miserable. Essentially bed-ridden because of the fatigue. It kind of feels like I've run a marathon and lifted weights all day, then was hit by a truck afterwards. The mornings are terrible. It feels like I've had the flu for the last 3 months. The only thing I know I have is an enlarged spleen, but I've had that for almost a year now and that was found long before any of this ever happened. (October of 2016)

Do I need to test out to 6 months? The CDC says 97% of people have detectable antibodies by 3 months. I guess it's possible that I'm a late seroconverter.

Should I take a PCR RNA test? My doctor is extremely reluctant to give me one. She says she will only give one to me if I test positive on an antibody test, so I would have to go out of pocket to pay for this test. It's pretty expensive.

I have no clue what this could be at this point, and am still convinced that it is HIV because of the timing and symptoms.

If anybody has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:26:21 am by dunnoNEmore8 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: I'm 99% sure I'm about to be diagnosed with HIV.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 02:26:38 am »
RNA testing is not recommended for routine testing, it has a high false result rate and your doctor is correct to be reluctant to run unneeded and expensive tests

You are HIV negative, the result is conclusive, 99% of people will produce sufficient antibodies to test for HIV within 3 months, (No matter how low the Viral load) the outliers are patients receiving cancer treatments and on autoimmune suppression medication.

I presume you are neither.   

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:15 pm »
Thanks Jim, I appreciate the response. I am not on cancer treatments or autoimmune suppression medication.

Are you sure I shouldn't take a PCR RNA test? I'm really ill and it all started after a sexual encounter. Shouldn't I take one to rule out the possibility of being a late seroconverter or someone with a seronegative infection (someone who never develops antibodies but is indeed HIV positive)? I've read that this is extremely rare, but I have no clue as to why I'm so ill other than HIV. I've already tested negative and normal for so many other ailments and conditions. I feel like I've left no stone unturned.

Maybe I should stop pursuing the HIV angle, and work with my doctors to find other possible reasons for my symptoms. I'm just so confused and hopeless.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 03:33:24 am »
Shouldn't I take one to rule out the possibility of being a late seroconverter or someone with a seronegative infection (someone who never develops antibodies but is indeed HIV positive)?

No such thing in this decade, also if your illness was caused by HIV you would have tested positive already.  This is because the only reason you get ill from a HIV infection initially is due to the antibodies response from your body, not the HIV itself.

RNA testing is not needed, unreliable and expensive.

I am sorry you are ill but its not caused by HIV from the incident you posted about, so unless you had a different exposure in the last 3 months, you are HIV negative.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:36:32 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 06:25:14 pm »
I still hadn't been feeling very well, so I went to get another 4th generation ab/ag blood test at the 18 week mark. I just tested positive. I thought three months was conclusive? I'm devastated.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 07:09:23 pm »
Three months is a recommended guideline by many experts, which means that the vast majority of tests after 13 weeks are "conclusive."  Some experts recommend a longer time and there are always outliers (the Bell Curve distribution).

Since you have had negative tests previously, please check with your health care provider to determine whether you should take another test to confirm your 18-week tests.  False positives do occur.  Work closely with your healthcare provider on this.

If it does turn out that you are conclusively "positive," it is not at all the end of the world.  You will live a long and healthy life, once you are on an appropriate antiretroviral regimen (if you are, indeed, positive).

Please continue to use this forum for support, guidance, and education, and keep us informed of your ongoing developments in order that we can provide you the advice you may need.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:05:18 pm by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline momtobe2

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 12:54:02 pm »
How are you, dunnoNEmore8?

Did your doctor confirm the result?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 01:08:06 pm »
momtobe2:  though your thoughts are in the right place, for quality control and assurance, the "Am I Infected?" forum can only be responded to by the moderators, so please don't post in this forum again.

However, in the spirit of your question, I'll ask it for you:  dunnoNEmore8, how are things?  Did your doctor confirm your most recent test result?  Please let us know.  There are many here on these forums who are willing to support you, whatever your confirmed results may be.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:26:28 pm »
I still hadn't been feeling very well, so I went to get another 4th generation ab/ag blood test at the 18 week mark. I just tested positive. I thought three months was conclusive? I'm devastated.

It simply a reactive result so first go and confirm the results with conformation testing. Keep in mind a reactive result is pretty common so no need to panic.

To answer the question what does it means if you are positive, well its means you simply had an exposure since the window period ended of your last (sets) of negative results, so negative result over the past incidents but something far more recent.

Jim
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:29:59 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 02:46:40 pm »
I found out that the 4th generation test result at 18 weeks was a false positive. A subsequent 4th generation test, as well as confirmation tests have turned out to be negative. My doctor says I'm HIV negative. That was a scare. Thanks for the support through this. I really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 03:01:32 pm by dunnoNEmore8 »

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:20:07 am »
I'm not sure what to do. I'm emotionally and physically exhausted. I've been sick with what feels like a bad flu since mid-June, and the doctors cannot figure out what is wrong. Two weeks prior to me getting sick was the sexual event I talked about at the top of the thread. It seems strange to be this ill and not have any answers. I promise you this isn't a psychosomatic illness. The symptoms are real and debilitating. I don't know where to turn at this point. I had a scare earlier this week where I thought I had a positive test, but have since been told it wasn't positive. The test failed to work properly so they ran further tests that turned out to be negative. At this point, I have a negative HIV 4th generation ab/ag blood test at 4 months. Is that enough to rule out infection? I just don't know. My doctor won't refer me to an infectious disease doctor because I have no positive tests for any infection. I'm lost. Can I safely assume I'm HIV negative?

At 14 weeks (more than 3 months) post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative
At 17 weeks post exposure I had an ORAQUICK oral home test-Negative
At 18 weeks post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:46:04 am by dunnoNEmore8 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 04:35:25 am »
Hi

Look the HIV findings are conclusive, 3 months ago you did not have hiv and if you had no exposure since than its a confirmed result

We do not discuss symptoms here, simply because it means nothing in terms of HIV. Most people experience none initially and/or too mild to notice. Also if any of your symptoms were caused by a reaction to HIV it would definitely mean antibodies would be present and your results would all be positive

They are not so In short your symptoms, like the vast majority of posters here simply have nothing to do with HIV.

Listen I do wish you well but there is nothing more we can do for you in this setting, continue to work with your doctor to find out the true cause of your illness and treatment.

Take care

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:13 am »
I'm still not feeling well. I've been sick for 5 months now, and I'm not showing any signs of getting better. I decided to keep testing out to 6 months because this illness only started after the sexual encounter I described in the first post. I have not had any exposures since the exposure on June 1st. I've not even as much as kissed someone since June 1st. At the beginning of this month I had yet another ORAQUICK test. It seemed like a negative result at first, but then I started looking at the test stick and could make out an extremely faint red half-line at the T mark. It was so faint that you had to hold it up to a flashlight to even see it. I panicked thinking that I was finally seroconverting, so I decided to go to the lab and have another 4th generation ab/ag combo test. This test came out negative. I'm assuming the ORAQUICK test must have been a fluke, because the 4th generation test taken afterwards was negative. From what I understand, blood tests tend to be more accurate than the oral tests. At the beginning of this week I went to see an infectious disease doctor. He said that at this point he thinks it's safe to assume that I'm HIV negative, but he decided to run a RNA Viral Load test for my peace of mind. I have a bad feeling that it will detect something because of how I've been feeling these past 5 months. This whole thing has been a nightmare.

At 17 weeks post exposure I had an ORAQUICK oral home test-Negative
At 18 weeks post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative
At 22 weeks post exposure I had a 4th generation HIV ab/ag combo test-Negative
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:08:52 am by dunnoNEmore8 »

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:13:32 am »
HI,

There really is nothing more we can help you with here...you have tested conclusively negative.  Continue to work with your doctor and find out what's wrong.

In the mean time please do not post anything more about your negative results as it will lead to a time out/ban.
This is out of kindness to seek the help we can not provide in this setting.

Wishing you the best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline dunnoNEmore8

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:17:48 am »
Thanks for the response Wade. I'm sorry, I will stop posting about my negative results. I'm going to continue working with my doctor to figure this situation out. Thank you all for the help.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:23 am »
Good luck with getting things sorted out and I hope you are able to move past this and enjoy your life.

Best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.