Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:20:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 326
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: King Street Station (for those arriving by train)  (Read 8288 times)

Offline lipoenvy

King Street Station (for those arriving by train)
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:13 am »
To my surprise, substantial progress has been made in the renovation of King Street Station, but unfortunately nothing that affects the logistics of arriving and then getting around.  I went there today and looked around.

A plaza of sorts has been constructed on the Jackson Street level.  This is good.  It's still fenced off from the station and inaccessible from it.  There is still no elevator from the station to Jackson St.  This is less good.

The dropped ceiling is gone, and the original ceiling is largely visible.  New walls connecting from the horrible dropped ceiling height to the original are under construction.  Ugly plywood arrival and departure gates are still in place.  There are flower baskets outside.  Gosh.

So -- when you arrive by train, you will find yourself in a station which very much under construction, with a large wing blocked off.  The exit doors lead you to King Street, where the taxis are. 

Should you be inclined to attempt a public transit adventure:
If you continue straight out the door, there is a staircase which will take you to up Jackson, which is 30 feet or so above King St.  (A wheelchair lift has been installed on the railing of the staircase, but I have no information on whether or not it's working.)  On the far side of Jackson from the station (the north side), if you go east (right) a couple blocks to between 4th and 5th Aves., you can catch a bus [1, 2, 7, or 36, maybe a couple others] to downtown [3rd & Pike], and shlep from there.  Metro is always a slice of life.

lipoenvy

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: King Street Station (for those arriving by train)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:19:45 am »
James (hope4acure) found out some decent info about the light rail
got any thoughts about this mode of transport?? ???

Light Rail from SeaTac to Downtown:

This leaves from the airport every 10 minutes and will take us to the last stop (westlake Center) which is just 2 blocks from the hotel. It may be the way to get out of the airport fast and into the city. Just a thought. The fair is $2.75 per person.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/Link-light-rail.xml
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:29:03 am »
Light rail is fine, its a different system than the trains at king street. Take it from airport to westlake. Thrn walk 2 blocks east and there is your hotel.  Very simple.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 03:10:43 am »

bug and lipo...thanks for the info.

my train arrives at 845p.  Since it's that late in the evening it sounds like a cab is the best way to get to the hotel.

I sure hope you two can make it Friday night to the Meet/Greet at Von Roast House.  6-9p. 

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 10:31:02 am »
bug and lipo...thanks for the info.

my train arrives at 845p.  Since it's that late in the evening it sounds like a cab is the best way to get to the hotel.

I sure hope you two can make it Friday night to the Meet/Greet at Von Roast House.  6-9p. 

Robert, sweetie, your train isn't arriving,  our train in arriving at 9:45. We can taxi togetther.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 11:11:01 am »
yes, dear. 

But I had to change my schedule.  Instead of Wed to Sun now I'm Thurs to Mon.  I figured with Creighton's big fat reunion with his friend Michael on Saturday night they're would probably be a very good chance I would miss my train Sunday morning.  So I thought it best to play it safe.

toodles.....

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 01:45:18 pm »
In downtown Seattle, light rail and the underground buses use the same tunnel.  The south starting point for buses is the International District / Chinatown station (Jackson between 4th & 5th Aves), in the block east of King Street Station.  The tunnel buses are an option for getting from King Street to the hotel -- they will deliver you to Westlake Station, same as the light rail.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/tunnel/tunnel.html

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
In downtown Seattle, light rail and the underground buses use the same tunnel.  The south starting point for buses is the International District / Chinatown station (Jackson between 4th & 5th Aves), in the block east of King Street Station.  The tunnel buses are an option for getting from King Street to the hotel -- they will deliver you to Westlake Station, same as the light rail.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/tunnel/tunnel.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.