Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:37:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 348
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Depression & Joint pain time for a new Med regimen  (Read 8665 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Depression & Joint pain time for a new Med regimen
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:48:20 am »
OK, so I went in to see my Doc yesterday, and told her how I have been feeling for the past 6 months.....

(bob told me to go see the doc) a few months ago when he noticed my depression was getting real bad.....

have been outta sorts and very depressed, and somehow I kinda lost out on all of the things i use to do, that made me happy....

to some it all up, I told my doc, that most of my days are spent

looking like that grumpy old cat pic that everyone use to post a pic of

so my Doc changed all of my meds and got rid of the COMPLERA & the ISENTRESS

she said, that the Complera is known to cause depression, and that the Isentress

can cause a lot of joint pain, so now I'm on the following regimen:

TURVADA   once  daily (an old favorite I was taking 6 months ago)

INTELENCE  twice daily

TIVICAY   twice daily

she also thur in some  NORTRIPTYLINE for my joint pain and is also a (CNS)

that works on the central Nervous system, and can also help beat some of

my depression....

My doc also noted that my Blood Pressure was off-the-charts 160/100

so she put my on FOSINOPRIL 20 mg daily

she thinks this change will do me some good, and at the very least make me not so depressed

depression can pull you down to depths so deep, that most cannot find there way out of (that was how bad I was feeling)

I hope I start feeling better soon as this last 6 month haven't been very good for me

HUGS

DEN

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Depression & Joint pain time for a new Med regimen
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 11:30:37 am »
Since joint pain and arthritis runs rampant in many LTSers how did she sort out of this was the cause or not? I only ask because I'm having the same issue and have been on Isentress now for six year and will be seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks and will discuss the issue.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:35:22 am »
I hope you feel better soon . I know how rotten depression can make you feel .

Why the tivicay with the Intelence and Truvada ? . Im on Truvada and Intelence and like it, works great for me  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:13:28 pm »
I'm having the same issue and have been on Isentress now for six year and will be seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks and will discuss the issue.

I was on Insentress since 2006 or whenever is came out ( I forget)
so my Doc wanted to change that out a while back, says it also
can cause depression as well as joint pain
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 12:15:56 pm »
I hope you feel better soon . I know how rotten depression can make you feel .

Why the tivicay with the Intelence and Truvada ? . Im on Truvada and Intelence and like it, works great for me  .

don't know Jeff, seem like she had to replace it with something ( I think TIVICAY) might be one of the newer class of meds, as a replacement of Intresses isn't out yet.............i donno

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »
don't know Jeff, seem like she had to replace it with something ( I think TIVICAY) might be one of the newer class of meds, as a replacement of Intresses isn't out yet.............i donno

I take Intelence / Truvada alone as my combo .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:57:25 pm »
Dennis, like me, has always had to take one extra anti-retroviral medication on top of the standard 3-part HAART regimen due to long-standing resistance issues. You, Jeff, are merely a LTS-Lite type and not worthy of the extra gold stars.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
Dennis, like me, has always had to take one extra anti-retroviral medication on top of the standard 3-part HAART regimen due to long-standing resistance issues. You, Jeff, are merely a LTS-Lite type and not worthy of the extra gold stars.

Humpft . My aids is way worse than your aids . I don't want to hijack a good thread simple to school you though .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 01:35:59 pm »
Den, I've been reluctant to discuss my issues with Isentress lest I scare others away from it.  I absolutely had to switch a couple of months ago and it was the best decision ever.

We considered this exact combo but my horrid resistance profile wouldn't have worked with the Trivicay.  Instead, I switched out Isentress to Prezista and Norvir along with Truvada and Intelence.  Yeah, I actually added more pills to take every day ;D

I had such severe insomnia that I could no longer function correctly.  I hadn't even realized that my hand and feet pain had subsided. 

Best of luck with the new combo.
Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 02:39:12 pm »
Next month my Doc has ordered another resistance test, as I haven't had one in a while, the funny thing about all of this is

that when i get all of my VA-doctors sometime this spring, they'll probably change it all over again ( most doctors don't agree on somethings)  ::)

however I have 20 yrs. of medical records dating all the way back to 1989 to 2013
so the VA docs will have a lot of records to comb thur  :-\

HUGS

DEN

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »
Well Den its a relief that whatever occurs you are tackling the depression . I am on Isentreess as part off a 4 drug combo , started at least 7 years ago after I told my Doc I was stopping atripla as it was driving me to consider suicide as a fun option to continuing to take the shit.

Joint pain has been an issue since 1990 so what causes it is most certainly multi faceted.

Depression also an issue but I sort off think you would be truly mad if as a LTS with illness you did not have to deal with a bout or 2 off depression.

Trivicay { who thinks up drug names? } is a new one to me , so thanks I will read up on it and promptly forget 99 % of what I have read.

Hope all this puts a spring in your step

Michael

What are VA docs and why/how can they change what you and your ID Doc have agreed apon?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 05:31:30 pm »
Theyer

I'm a (Navy Military Veteran) so, VA-Doctors means Veterans Administration Doctors

I know it's confusing, but now you know what that all means

YES, I'm just trying to be proactive about my health care, it really

does me no good not to try and address some of my long-term issues

so i can feel better, it's no fun being sick & depressed all the time

I'll do just about anything to feel better

HUGS

DEN

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:25 pm »

that when i get all of my VA-doctors sometime this spring, they'll probably change it all over again ( most doctors don't agree on somethings)  ::)

DEN

I don't think that will happen Dennis.  Whatever medication you will be on, you will most likely continue to stay on.

The VA didn't change any of my antiretrovirals.  That remained the same.  So if things are working for you, with the meds that you are currenty on, it will most likely remain the same.

Make sure to bring a copy of the resistance tests, so they can place it in their files. ( they will scan it into the computer.

Hope things start improving for you soon !

Take care of yourself---Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 07:22:42 pm »
Next month my Doc has ordered another resistance test, as I haven't had one in a while, the funny thing about all of this is

I'm confused -- how do they plan to do this without a detectable viral load?

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 10:46:52 pm »

Really...let me see what fantasies I have tucked away that I haven't seen...do you have live video feed...per chance?

Depression is a b*tch. Even with my meds it will creep in at the oddest moment. Hoping that tackling my sleep apnea will help some in that regard. I've noticed when I'm really tired the symptoms tend to come on more strongly than when I'm rested. At least I can hope.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 03:27:51 am »
Hey Dennis,

I hope the new regimen works out well for you.

I understand the need to switch out for a better quality of life.

I didn't know you were going to switch to the VA? Is this something new?

Also, I would bet your doc wants to do a follow up viral load/CD4 check rather than a resistance test.

I think you have to have a viral load in excess of 1,000 to do the GART. I hope you don't have that.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 10:22:29 am »
Hey Dennis,

I didn't know you were going to switch to the VA? Is this something new?

Also, I would bet your doc wants to do a follow up viral load/CD4 check rather than a resistance test.

HUGS,

Mark

Yes Mark,  I'll be leaving UNMH and NMAS sometime this spring, after I get all of my VA-doctors and medical team in place, this will take a while, so I'll be fazing out everything else out by the end of 2014  :)

Yeah I think that is what my Doc is doing (follow up viral load/CD4 check) one of the RN's at the clinic was new and hasn't learned what to do yet, so my new meds were sent to the wrong RX, so I'm not real sure when I'll get them from DOH, maybe sometime next week............who knows  :-\

I have to go to 2 RX'es as a lot of my other non-formuary meds aren't covered by DOH, and they are very expensive  :-[

You all are wonderful, I wouldn't know what to do without the support & opinions I get from this From
Thanks for the support  ;)

HUGS

DEN

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:44:11 am »
Theyer

I'm a (Navy Military Veteran) so, VA-Doctors means Veterans Administration Doctors

I know it's confusing, but now you know what that all means

YES, I'm just trying to be proactive about my health care, it really

does me no good not to try and address some of my long-term issues

so i can feel better, it's no fun being sick & depressed all the time

HUGS

DEN

Thanks Den do not worry about the confusion bit In an odd way its one off the things I like about the site , its potentially world wide and I like anything that breaks down fences.
With the attitude contained in the last 2 sentences off the above I reckon the outlook is good for you. Plus am I right in thinking that VA hospitals run very much with volunteer help and user involvement.
I had a wonderful day at the Las Vegas VA Hospital some years ago and was very impressed with the vibe ,though not the cooking for a hospital it had a fantastically unhealthy canteen so I gate crashed the staff one. Oh the joy off an English accent ( sometimes in the US }
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.