Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:08:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 194
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is the College of William and Mary ranked 31 on U.S. News Top US universities?  (Read 8541 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
In another thread a totally separate topic came up and I'm moving it here to stop hijacking that thread.

If you use the link below you'll arrive at the U.S. News and World Report's list of top ranked national colleges/universities.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

The 31st school is William and Mary. For unknown reasons the person quoted below states, even though I've shown him the link to their TOP TIER NATIONAL SCHOOLS, this list is wrong and there is another list of top national universities, although he offers no evidence to support his claim.

Quote from: scotttt
Boo,

U.S. News has different categories for ranking schools.  The ranking among Nationally ranked schools represents the "big leage" of higher education.  Local and regional schools are the "lminor leagues" of education.  If you look up the 2007 U.S. News ranking of nationally ranked schools you will see that WIlliam and Mary is not present among the top nationally ranked schools.  That is the only ranking that really matters, just as the major league in baseball is the only league that really matters.  Sure U.S. News throws a bone to smaller less significant schools, but schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford and all of the U.C. schools are listed among the major league or nationally ranked schools.  Some people in your local region might be impressed by a local school, but in the big city blue states such as California and New York, only nationally ranked schools has the chachet needed to truly impress people.  Sorry , that is just how it is.

It demonstrates what a small town girl Aupoint is by being impressed with such unimpressive credentials.  It shows your inabiility to distinguish between minor educational institutional rankings and nationally ranked educational institutions.  Your inability to comprehend this is funny, I thiink.  Go back and look at the list of U.S. News Nationally ranks schools, not the local or regionally ranked schools.

I know this is ludicrous but anal-retentive as I am I'd like someone to explain to me why I'm wrong or to explain to him why he is wrong.  It shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your time!

Thanks,

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
I think its pretty black and white.  William and Mary is #31.

Here is how *I* googled it...

2007 us news top nationally ranked universities

and here is the first link i get

www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php  <-- Remarkably the same link Boo got.

It doesn't get any clearer than that I would say.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:09:04 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
I'm a small town girl?  I didn't see that thanks to the beauty of the ignore button.

Wow... I better tell my dad that all those trips to New York to visit family there were essentially visits to Podunksville.

And being born in DC and spending a significant portion of my life there probably doesn't count for much either. 

I'll have to call Germany and let them know that spending two years in Frankfurt (a tiny hamlet which is laughably called the "Banking Capital of Europe") was just like living in the middle of nowhere.

As well as growing up in Hampton Roads, the largest demographic cul-de-sac on the East Coast.   All those 1.6 million people living in such parochial darkness. 

But as far as I can tell, that list is fairly straightforward in that it says "National Universities: Top Schools."  But I guess "national" means different things to different people.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think an institution of learning that has been around since 1693 would know a thing or two... but we're all so dim-witted here in Virginia... I could be wrong.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Of course this might be an interpretation type thing.  scottt might consider the top schools to be those 20 and above.  There by William and Mary being 31 is not in the top.  But in the big scheme of things does it really matter.  After the beginnings of one's career the school isn't nearly as important as career accomplishments.  I mean who would ever think the GW is a graduate of Yale.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
One thing about William and Mary, is if you take account of the SIZE of the school as it's rather small, it ranks way higher in terms of small liberal arts colleges.  It all depends on whether you want to be a useless clog in a wheel at a massive university.

At any rate, It's one of the 2 best colleges in the state of Virginia, and unless you attended an Ivy League school you'd be hard pressed to do bettter.

Should we all compare SAT scores now?  This is about the DUMBEST conversation we've yet had on here, and yet another example of how so many are bringing the tenor of discussion down to the depths of a southern mud pie.  Way to go, Keisha.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
My school isn't even listed on the list at all! 

Gawd I must be retarded and dumber than dumb.

Bailey (who attended Embry-Riddle Aeronautical Univ aka: the harvard of the skies)

Offline Miss Philicia

that's a very good school for aeronautics... I have a friend who went there.  Do you have a pilots license?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?

I better not see any flame-baiting or personal attacks in this thread. Some of you are very close to being given time outs as it is. Please consider this a very serious warning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

Of course this might be an interpretation type thing.  scottt might consider the top schools to be those 20 and above.

Woods,

Thanks for your response.  If scottt means a ranking of top 10 or 20 or whatever he has not stated it.  If he stated W&M isn't in the top 20 I never would have responded.

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
Here is a list of the rankings from all the Universities in the world.  HOORAY for UC Berkeley and UCLA.  ;D :D

http://www.webometrics.info/top3000.asp

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
isn't berkeley the school that has doucheburg on their faculty?

Offline Boo Radley

Even though the mods have issued 2 warnings to those of use who allowed the other thread to be diluted, one of the primary offenders has responded in the same thread:

the genius responds

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Read and weep, no William and Mary.  Sorry to be so petty but......

BTW these are the rankings of the National, read top schools.

scottt provides me with the same link to the data I posted and again William and Mary is #31. 

What's missing here? 

Boo

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
I am reminded of this awesome job I had working at the Prince George Street Market when I was 21.  It was a deli/sundries market kind of place.  I got to make sandwiches, listen to Johnny Cash, and drink free Anchor Steam.  Needless to say, I had it so made it wasn't funny.

I also got to babysit my boss' 13 year old daughter.  He knew she was completely safe with me, even though she had something of a crush on me. 

I repaid his trust by getting her into Stereolab and A Clockwork Orange (book first, then the movie). 

She's turned out to be a pretty cool chick.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
This is amusing if you're at all familiar with Virginia's college and universities

How many Virginia University students does it take to change a lightbulb?

How many William & Mary students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Three, one to change the bulb, and two to crack under the pressure.

How many Old Dominion students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Four, two to change the bulb, and two to figure out how to get high off the old one.

How many Mary Washington students does it take to change a light bulb?
    The whole student body, there's nothing better to do on weekends.

How many Georgetown students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Two, one to change the bulb, and one to throw the old bulb at American U students.

How many UVA students does it take to change a light bulb?
    One, he just holds the bulb and lets the world revolve around him.

How many Virginia Tech students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Three, one to change the bulb, and two to discuss how they did it as well as a UVA student.

How many James Madison University students does it take to change a light bulb?
    None, Harrisonburg doesn't have electricity.

How many Virginia Commonwealth students does it take to change a light bulb?
    None, downtown Richmond looks better in the dark.

How many Eastern Mennonite U students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Two, one to hold the candle, and the other to strike the flint.

How many George Mason University students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Three, if they get lucky and one of them has taken the course at NOVA.

How many Washington and Lee students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Four, one to change a bulb, and three to write up a complaint to the board of directors stating that they could have gone to a better school if they had wanted to.

How many Mary Baldwin students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Four, One to change the light bulb, and three to figure out how it will help them meet their future husband.

How many U of Richmond students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Two, one to mix the martinis and one to call the electrician.

How many Hollins College students does it take to change a light bulb?
    None, that's what maids are for.

How many Radford University students does it take to change a light bulb?
    Just one, but it takes six years.

How many Sweet Briar Students does it take to change a light bulb?
    The entire student body, once they hear the word screw.

How many Randolph-Macon Woman's College students does it take to change a light bulb?
One, if she can handle four majors she sure as hell can handle changing a light bulb.

Offline RapidRod

Zero, you can't get on I-495 to buy a light bulb and back to class during rush hour in a days time.  :D

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Zero, you can't get on I-495 to buy a light bulb and back to class during rush hour in a days time.  :D

Ha ha!  It's funny because it's true! 

And by the time you get home taking the Beltway, your headlights have burned out... so it's time to go back to the store...

Offline Cliff

I don't understand why this turned into an issue.  William and Mary, Berkley and UCLA are all good schools.  Great schools actually.  Where they rank on one magazine's listing (which isn't the sole authority on what constitutes a good school) shouldn't be a big deal.

Offline ACinKC

This discussion PALES in comparison to the discussion on HIV infected BEES!!!
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Cliff, it was a lightbulb changing contest gone awry.  Lightbulbs... everywhere!

And much like a floor covered in broken lightbulbs... we shouldn't go over it... and certainly not again.   :D

My simile ends there.

You are, of course, correct. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Honestly, I don't see a problem with a person having pride in the school they attended. Maybe we should get a Pep Rally going or something. I agree with Philly, this is kinda an idiotic thread, but that's just me. Boo, I love ya baby but sometimes it's just good to walk away and let that person have the last word. In my eyes, it's being the better man.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline ACinKC

OR, you can kick them in the balls and THEN turn around and walk away! Which truly is the best of both worlds dont you think!!!

KIDDING!!! 
RIDE!!!

Offline Boo Radley

... I agree with Philly, this is kinda an idiotic thread, but that's just me. Boo, I love ya baby

Love ya, too, Queen, but when a friend is being unjustly attacked my adrenalin starts rushing and I'm ready to rip out eyeballs.   If you'd seen the entire incident as it played out you would probably understand better.

It has nothing to do with William and Mary, it's the principle.

Boo

Censored at 8:21PM CST
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:25:17 pm by Boo Radley »

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Why is this so contentious? 
Does anyone actually believe that these lists are 100% objective?

I don't know what to say without setting someone off here, but I went to top five schools both for u.g. and grad.   There were good students and bad students at both.  Poor little rich kids and rich little poor kids.  The faculty at both had stars and slobs.   And I certainly don't see what warrants calling someone "smalltown" about the fact that they might think that an attendee of W&M might be impressive.  Not that being smalltown is all that bad. 

Funny thing is, the smartest person I think I have ever met didn't attend one of the big shiny schools, but went to SDSU, supposedly a party school.  Not that I haven't used my education to get me places in life, to claim otherwise would be disingenuous.  However, I do think that a blue ribbon education might open doors, but it doesn't teach you much about how to function in real life.

The thing that impresses me most about a person's education is usually his/her passion for learning, not the words on the diploma.  I guess having spent so many years evaluating people's skillsets has led me to the conclusion that having a degree in basket weaving doesn't mean you know how to weave baskets.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline ACinKC

You're a basket weaver?  Thats funny cause Boo is a basket case, aaaaaaaaah the similarities!
RIDE!!!

Offline Life

• Member 2005
We have more PHD's in my town waiting tables than I can count....  I ask you....... why.......?

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Maybe they studied structural linguistics and Russian literature.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Maybe they studied structural linguistics and Russian literature.

Or Russian linguistics and post-structual literature.   ;D

Offline koi1

I gotta hand it to you Woodshere,

You made great point here.

Of course this might be an interpretation type thing.  scottt might consider the top schools to be those 20 and above.  There by William and Mary being 31 is not in the top.  But in the big scheme of things does it really matter.  After the beginnings of one's career the school isn't nearly as important as career accomplishments.  I mean who would ever think the GW is a graduate of Yale.

Woods

I think the best thing is if you can choose a career that you enjoy arriving to every morning. After all of that, nothing else really matters. That's why dropping the name of your school is really just pretentious and unecessary. That is the only time it became an issue. And yes I agree, some of the most intelligent people never stepped inside a college. College is based on drive and opportunity for a lot of people. I wish it were available to all who ever dreamed of going.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Miss Philicia

It has nothing to do with William and Mary, it's the principle.

Boo

exactly, but you'll still get banned

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
exactly, but you'll still get banned

This is true. I would hate to see you or Boo get banned. I don't know what I would do if the both of you got banned. I would prolly have withdrawls because with y' all gone I would miss the sarcasm, you know Rod and AC can't do it alone..... ;D
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.