Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 324
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help - bad insomnia  (Read 8170 times)

Offline george

Help - bad insomnia
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:46:40 pm »
Hi and thanks in advance for your answers,

I started the Isentress \ Truvada combo last week. Went throuhg a few side effects that subsided and the only persisting one is insonmia.

I been away from work for almost 3 weeks and plant o go back on Monday. Is it possible that I am not tired enough because I do not work these days (and hence the insomnia)? Or is this a side effect that you may have encountered?

FYI:
HIV + Diagnosis: 03/17/10
last test results : VL = 35, 000 copies and CD 4s at 650
Decided to start HAART because of a nasty parodonthia

Again, thanks for your anwers!

George

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Help - bad insomnia
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 05:00:17 pm »
Yes, sleep disturbances can occur with Isentress. It's plainly written on their web site as effecting 4% of patients.

I take it you had no insomnia issues before starting this medication.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Gary S

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:52:44 am »
I started Isentress and Truvada about 3 months ago (after about 7 years on Kaletra and Truvada) and am also having sleep disturbance. For me it's been nonstop vivid dreams (not nightmares) all night long waking me several times throughout the night and taking some time to fall back to sleep. I don't think I'm ever going into the deepest sleep where dreaming does not occur and is the most restful rejuvenating part of the sleep cycle. Some mornings I wake up exhausted.

It's good (maybe not for you) to know I'm not alone after reading so many posts singing the praises of Isentress because of no side effects!! Not the case for me!! I'm still hoping this will lessen or subside in time.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »
I started Isentress and Truvada about 3 months ago (after about 7 years on Kaletra and Truvada) and am also having sleep disturbance. For me it's been nonstop vivid dreams (not nightmares) all night long waking me several times throughout the night and taking some time to fall back to sleep. I don't think I'm ever going into the deepest sleep where dreaming does not occur and is the most restful rejuvenating part of the sleep cycle. Some mornings I wake up exhausted.

It's good (maybe not for you) to know I'm not alone after reading so many posts singing the praises of Isentress because of no side effects!! Not the case for me!! I'm still hoping this will lessen or subside in time.

That's very odd this side effect has only been reported in users of Sustiva which isn't in your combo.

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:58 pm »
I too suffer from bad sleeping patterns since i started Isentrees over a year ago and informed my doctor but he kind of brushed it off and said it was probably stress related and not my med combo. He never heard of anyone suffering from insomnia on my combo and felt like I going crazy but I have heard a couple of people going through the same.

I now have to go to bed at around 9pm to fall asleep at 11:30 pm and I almost always wake up at 6 am and have awful dreams. I wonder if i should start asking for sleeping pills.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:42:51 pm »
Once more, it's clearly listed on the Isentress web site. What more do you or your doctor want?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »
Once more, it's clearly listed on the Isentress web site. What more do you or your doctor want?

I was specifically talking about the vivid nightmares, but as Philly says, insomnia is a potential side effect of Isentress.  Apparently you guys are the unlucky minority.

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:26 pm »
I have only been on Atripla, so I can't comment on other regimens, but from what I've heard, the sustiva in Atripla can cause some sleep issues, more typically than in your Isentress/Truvada combo. But as Miss P said, it CAN mess with some peoples' sleep patterns. I actually have been considering whether or not to ask my doc for a different combo, perhaps I/T, mainly because it has been taking me awhile to fall asleep lately, something I never noticed before meds..If I were you. I'd just give it more time to see if the sleeplessness goes away, if not, you can either ask for a sleep aid, or ask your doc to try another regimen. It's totally up to you, good luck!  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:13:49 pm »
I made the change from Atripla (6 years) because of memory/cognitive issues.
My new meds are Truvada/Isentress as of March 1st.
I had NO problems sleeping with Atripla.
In fact it seemed to always have helped me sleep.
Now the Isentress is giving me problems.
Traded one bad sympton for another. :(
It takes me longer to fall asleep and I sleep very restless all night.
I DON'T want to go back to Atripla and don't really want to change meds again if this is temporary, OR maybe take a sleep aid to help.
Really not keen on the idea of taking a sleep med if it is addictive or will make me feel like shit in the morning.
Any ideas?
Also, is this a reasonable thing to push for with my next visit to my ID doc?
(I am such a wimpy patient :P.)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
Sweeties, does it matter so much if its stress, or HAART, or something else? If you are more or less fine on your HAART combo, the next step is find a solution for the insomnia.  There must be dozens of websites with good tips on how to combat insomnia without sleeping pills.  And then there are sleeping pills...
Also the HIV doc should pipe in his/her two cents worth for finding a solution...

_____
IMO - a doctor hasn't finished the job with a statement such as, "this isn't my problem, my speciality, my expertise, my responsibility."   If there really is a health challenge, like insomnia certainly is, then the doc should come up with an idea where to go next to find a solution.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:21:55 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »
Sweeties, does it matter so much if its stress, or HAART, or something else? If you are more or less fine on your HAART combo, the next step is find a solution for the insomnia.  There must be dozens of websites with good tips on how to combat insomnia without sleeping pills.  And then there are sleeping pills...
Also the HIV doc should pipe in his/her two cents worth for finding a solution...

_____
IMO - a doctor hasn't finished the job with a statement such as, "this isn't my problem, my speciality, my expertise, my responsibility."   If there really is a health challenge, like insomnia certainly is, then the doc should come up with an idea where to go next to find a solution.
thanks mecch.
was wondering a bit more about suggestions on what sleeping aids helped others with isentress that fit the bill.
i know i could google and do research but struggle these days with my energy and thought someone here might make life a bit easier.
lame and lazy of me. :(

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 08:39:23 pm »
I bet non-medicine and behaviour solutions can be very effective. I'm lazy though. So I've used zoldem with success. Zolpidem tartrate
Yes I'm on truvada isentress.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 08:45:57 pm »
I bet non-medicine and behaviour solutions can be very effective. I'm lazy though. So I've used zoldem with success. Zolpidem tartrate
Yes I'm on truvada isentress.
thanks mecch.
me lazy too of late. :(
saw others posted about another drug that might help with my headaches and insomnia. (a 2 fer pill?)
too tired to look it up now.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2013, 07:22:12 pm »
trazodone was the med i couldn't remember last night.
i read the thread again and now think it might be a 3-fer. (doubt it but one can hope.)
depression.
headaches.
sleep aid.
hey, if it only helps with ONE of the above it will be good.

does it have the side effect of morning "fuzzy-head"? (anyone?)
thanks.

PS- George, sorry, didn't mean to take over your thread.
hope you don't mind me adding a few concerns of my own. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 07:25:36 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »
trazodone was the med i couldn't remember last night.
i read the thread again and now think it might be a 3-fer. (doubt it but one can hope.)
depression.
headaches.
sleep aid.
hey, if it only helps with ONE of the above it will be good.

does it have the side effect of morning "fuzzy-head"? (anyone?)
thanks.

PS- George, sorry, didn't mean to take over your thread.
hope you don't mind me adding a few concerns of my own. :)

Hi Mitch . Trazodone , like any drug effects people differently . My doctor friend used to not prescribe it to his patients because he had such a tough time with it . He changed his mind in part because of the excellent benefits I reaped from being on it .

Im one of the lucky one's , 50 mg of Trazodone not only allows me to fall asleep it also worked on my depression when other medications failed . Its a case of one mans pleasure another mans poison and you wont be worse the wear for trying .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 07:44:58 pm »
thank jeff.
it's worth a try.
i will bring this up in mid april to my id doc.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 10:01:16 am »
Ambien works very well for me.  I love it and without it I have so much trouble falling asleep.  I've been taking it for years and am aware of the dependency it can cause and I've discussed this with my doctor.  I said its either Ambien or I don't sleep.  Whats the alternative.  Melatonin never worked blah blah blah

I don't want to take anything that lingers over to the next day, so Ambien has worked the best for me

You just have to find a doctor that will continue to prescribe it for you if you need it.  I've been going to my doctor since 96, he is like family.  I don't have a problem sleeping once i fall asleep, its just falling asleep that is the problem.

BTW I have been having sleeping problems since before i was HIV  positive, so I'm not sure that the meds did anything worse, but sleep is very important
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline mitch777

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 10:51:52 am »
Thanks Mikey.
I just looked up zolpidem tartrate from Mecch's reply and see that it is Ambien.
Glad to hear that it doesn't linger into the next day for you.
Guess I have a couple of alternative suggestions to pose to my doc.
Thanks again all of you. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 11:46:13 am »
Hi Mitch ... I was talking to Ann about you and she found this link about Trazodone , its a good read .

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/trazodone-common-sleep-drug-is-little-known-antidepressant/index.htm
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »
Hi Mitch ... I was talking to Ann about you and she found this link about Trazodone , its a good read .

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/trazodone-common-sleep-drug-is-little-known-antidepressant/index.htm
hmmm...
after reading this^ article, i googled Trazodone and read several other sites about it.
confusing as usual.
read about how some people get horrible headaches from it.
read on another site that it is used to treat headaches.
hear that it doesn't give you a foggy morning brain and then hear that it does.

i guess it's like any other med.
they affect people differently.
kinda wonder why they even bother listing some of the side effects. (half-kidding) ::)

maybe by the year 2072 we can all just submit a sample of our DNA to find out from birth the "perfect" pill to solve all of our ailments. :)
(not sure if i can make it another 59 years. bummer >:(.)

thanks for the link!
"you can't win if you don't play"  quote from the Connecticut State Lottery. :P

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 02:38:18 pm »
Hey Mitch, if any of this is helpful to you, I've been on 50mgs of Trazodone for the last 3 yrs.

it help me sleep, and also helps me with my mood during the day (however I only take it @
bedtime) I sometimes have to take 100mgs, but only if I really cannot get to sleep

so, I had my ID-Doc subscirbe me 60 of the 50mg ( just in-case I need more) but very rarely do have to take the 100mgs or 2 50mgs

it really cleans my clock , so to speak, and that's just a warning to you, the effects differ for many, my doc used it to replace a benzo that I was taking

I'm sure glad I'm off those horrid benzo's, those things were very scary for me  :-[

it's worth a try, it's also (are was once used as an anti-depressant)

trazodone (TRAZ oh done)
Brand names: Desyrel, Oleptro, Desyrel Dividose

just me 2 cents, I hope it helps you..............good luck

HUGS

DEN  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.