Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:59:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 710
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 695
Total: 696

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Don't fix what's not broken?  (Read 3025 times)

Offline nownow

Don't fix what's not broken?
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:15 pm »
i've been on ziagen epivir lexiva (formerly agernerase) for almost 12 years

should i switch or do you all think it might be OK to keep going (esp. as Sustiva is not an option for me -- seizure condition -- nor Viread (osteopenia since 2001)

i am concerned about heart attack from Ziagen but that could happen for many reasons at 45yo with hiv in NYC on meds for 12 years!

and the one drug that seemed like an option turns ones eyes yellow sigh. I also don't want to take Norvir from that shady gouging gross company that makes it. Other protease 'boosters' are in the drug pipeline i hope for future regimen(s)

Offline Tim Horn

Re: Don't fix what's not broken?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:19:24 am »
Nownow...

I think the jury is still VERY much out with respect to the risk of a heart attack attributed to abacavir use. Our three most recent articles on this subject underscore the ongoing confusion: One study published earlier this month says "yes," articles posted on March 1 and March 25 say "no."

That said, the fact that you've been using Ziagen and Epivir (as Epzicom or Kivexa) for 12 years without incident is encouraging. Something important to keep in mind -- and many experts frequently speak to this point -- is that, even if abacavir does increase the relative risk of a heart attack, it's important to note that this might not mean anything of significance to those with a low absolute risk of a heart attack. In other words, if your cholesterol levels are in check, your blood pressure is normal, you don't smoke, etc., the risk of a heart attack associated with abacavir use -- if, in fact, there is one -- will be negligible at worst.

Sounds as if you're doing well on your current regimen. Do you really need to fix something that isn't clearly broken?

Tim 

Offline nownow

Re: Don't fix what's not broken?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:14 pm »
WELL thank you Tim

I was going by Long Term Survivor friends with AIDS since the early to mid 1980s saying

one should switch but maybe that's "too old school" esp as i am holding out for NO norvir

and clearly you see that i should not switch thanks for the reply with that risk assessment info

it was funny that you ended with the same question to my question which was of course helped to be answered by this first reply from here and other sites.

Your work is much appreciated, Mr. Horn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.