Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:25:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 448
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to get hiv meds in thailand  (Read 7859 times)

Offline soccerboy85

How to get hiv meds in thailand
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »
I am traveling to Thailand soon and want to buy a couple years worth of meds. Just wondering how you go about this or what it all entails. Also wondering if generic tivicay is available there yet. Thanks!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: How to get hiv meds in thailand
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:09:33 pm »
I am traveling to Thailand soon and want to buy a couple years worth of meds. Just wondering how you go about this or what it all entails. Also wondering if generic tivicay is available there yet. Thanks!

You can buy meds at the anonymous clinic but you might very well have trouble buying a years worth and even more trouble if you plan on taking them out of the country .

I'm not saying this with certainty, its just an educated guess .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline soccerboy85

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:35:46 pm »
Assuming my luggage doesn't get checked very thoroughly :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:45:13 pm »
Assuming my luggage doesn't get checked very thoroughly :)

I'm hoping you get meds if you need them for personal use but you really wouldn't want to get caught in a foreign country with more meds than the law allows but I'm sure you know this already . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline St Ives

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:49:28 am »
Ridiculous. Do you think the anonymous clinic is your own personal cash and carry?
1 months supply first visit. 30 days later, maybe, just maybe 2 months supply until they are happy you are not abusing their system.
The red cross is there to help the less fortunate who can not afford the costs of their meds from an expensive hospital, not for people who fly in and out just to save a few quid.
It makes my blood boil.
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Offline soccerboy85

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:37 am »
Look I'm just wondering if it's possible to buy bulk generics in Thailand, for personal use. maybe it's not but I'm definitely not going to take anything from the red cross so relax.

Offline puuchai

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:10 am »
The maximum you will get anywhere in Thailand is up to 6 months worth,and you will need to submit a prescription from an authorized doctor for each month you get,the pharmacy or Red Cross anonymous clinic will insist on keeping the prescription also,so that your not able to abuse the system.

Offline St Ives

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 05:44:22 pm »
My ID doctor at Bumrungrad gives me a one year prescription. As Khun Puuchai says, Anonymous clinic will photocopy said script and keep original. They can give you 6 months worth when you become a regular patient. (After a couple of years or so).
Come to Thailand, enjoy the hospitality, get an emergency supply.....and relax. 8)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:48:45 pm by St Ives »
Nov 2011 cd4,12.vl750k - 138lbs      atripla
Feb 2013 cd4,78.(3%) vl<40  - 160lbs    atripla
May 2014 cd4, 127 (6%) vl<40 -157lbs     atripla

Offline joemutt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »
The Christmas Spirit! Depleting Thailand's health system.

Offline ratcat

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 11:05:31 am »
lol.  A 4 month supply is the most that I have asked for, and that is from Bangkok Hospital.  I live here.  You could probably get a 10 year supply....in sub saharan Africa!!!! ;D     If i were you, I would go to a good private hospital (bumnumgrad or bkk), cunsult with the ID doc, explain what you want and go from there.  It's not expensive to buy meds from the private hospitals, and you wouldn't be depleting the supplies from the Red Cross.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:11:28 am by ratcat »

Offline xasxas

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 10:54:06 pm »
I don't think buying meds from the Anonymous Clinic is depleting their supplies as to my knowledge they don't sell it below cost.  It's just cheaper because it's not a for profit organization (like the private hospitals) that marks up its drugs substantially.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with someone buying as much drugs as they need, particularly if its for their own use.  That said, I think the six month drug limit is a hard limit, so you probably can't buy more than that as a single individual.

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 03:13:16 pm »
Whats the latest procedure for getting meds in thailand?

I'm considering my options for retirement in the next few years and Thailand is a possibility.

Is there anyone on here who liv ein thailand that I can PM?

I've read that the Thai Red Cross is an option, but thats in BKK,, I would rather not live in BKK, are there other options outside of there?

Offline Mindless

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 08:22:41 pm »
At a Thai Red Cross you can get for sure up to 6 months of meds (not sure if even more). Only need a prescription from a Dr. That may be an option: traveling to Bkk every 6 months (or more). I live in Bkk and don’t know the situation in other location in Thailand.

Hope this helps
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 08:57:54 pm »
thanks mindless

Offline joemutt

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 12:41:02 am »
I think only BKK red Cross/ Anonymous Clinic sells meds.
I am sure Red Cross/ Anonymous Chiangmai does not, from my own experience
Maybe someone has experience in other cities?
So I went to Nakornping Hospital Chiangmai, they gave me 3 months upon showing print of recent lab results and copy of Bangkok prescription.
Price was same as Anonymous BKK, I also had checked RAM hospital, they charge 5 x more,
also call before to see if they stock your kind of medicine, you can do that by calling the hospital's pharmacy.
The waiting time was long; from 9AM to 4PM;
lines at registration, doctor, cashier and, ultimately pharmacy.
Also better speak Thai if heading there, or take someone who can.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:08:34 am by joemutt »

Offline Gladragsguy

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 01:34:31 am »
There are several places to get medications in Bangkok depending upon your prescription. There are hospitals and private clinics. You can get them also at TRC, again depending upon your prescription 1-6 months supply at their discretion. You will need a prescription from your doctor and to register there.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 03:36:26 am »
Sure. My reply was specific to regional anonymous clinic/red cross places; there is one in Chiangmai but it doesn’t have/sell meds, the only solution there is hospitals.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:59 am »
100% you can get 6months at a time. You do NOT need to be  "regular" customer. I got 6 months on my first visit. I buy the generics because they re much cheaper.
As mentioned, you must have a prescription for the 6 months worth of meds.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 08:37:53 pm »
Not sure what county the OP is from but upon return from abroad most countries will x-Ray scan and possibly search your luggage (especially if returning from Thailand)... Two years worth of medication will most likely be seen as beyond what is needed for personal use and will be subject to seizure...

Here is a link to the US policy (check your own countries policy)...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2018, 12:55:20 pm »
so if i understand the precess correctly,,, i can get any perscription (thailand doctor or doctor here in the USA) and submit that to the anoymous clinic in BKK or any hospital in thailand and they will fill it with 6mos worth of meds???? 

also, where do you Thailand residents get your CD4 and viral loads tested at???

Offline Expat1

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 10:42:08 pm »
i get tested at a private clinic called Lifecare in Pattaya, the CD4 test 500 baht, the VL 2300 baht the general labs 500 baht.   I take those results to my doctor at Pattaya Memorial Hospital and get a 3 or 4 months of recovir EM and Endurant and the cost of the doctor, drugs for 3 months is around $400.

Bangkok hospital in Pattaya is about 50%more expensive. I go there for specialized care (like a surgery). 

The biggest worry here is really getting in a motorcycle accident so I have private insurance for that.

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 11:55:51 pm »
thanks expat1,, yea i don't want to live in BKK too much, but down in pattaya would be much better.   thanks for the tips

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2018, 12:08:30 am »
@TGun
I refer you to a post of mine from mid 2018 (not that far back)
Hi KD123.
Yes, you can definitely buy your meds (6 months worth) in BKK. You need to bring a prescription in ENGLISH for 6 months worth of meds. If you do not have one with you, you can see a local doctor and he will write one for you. Here is some info from an old post (if you search in this forum for "Bangkok" or "Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic" you will get more info). Here is my old post. Good luck!
"Hi Peeps,
I just wanted to post some info for anyone who might be searching about Thailand/Bangkok.
Yesterday i had to do my 6 month blood test and renew my prescription. So, even though my doctor is at Bumrungrad (a well-known private hospital), he recommended that i use the Thai Red Cross Anonymous Clinic for tests and buying meds since it is MUCH cheaper (http://en.trcarc.org/?page_id=632). [link may no longer work]
I did a VL and CD4 test, full blood test (CBC), phosphates, potassium, sugars and lipids. I also bought 6 months worth of semi-generic Complera (Edurant and Ricovir Em). All this cost me around 6,500 THB ( around $200 USD).
The doc appointment at Bumrungrad should cost around 40-50$. So around 500$/Year if all goes well and is stable.
So, in case you are wondering costs, i hope this helps.."

So at the Thai Red Cross, you can get your bloods done (CBC given free with CD4/VL test) and buy your meds (generic or branded). They also have doctor services if you need a prescription. It is very convenient to do there.
I still see my doc at a private hospital and he still recommends i do my bloods at the Red Cross and buy my meds there. They can email you your results if you want. As a new patient of theirs, you need to fill out a questionnaire and then you will get a member card (you can use any name you want). Then you get a number and wait in line. Easy peazy!

Offline WriterWrong

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 01:42:19 pm »
THANKS to all of you who have shared your personal experiences on this topic. I am considering retiring to Thailand, and joined this forum specifically to find such information. You have all helped to put my mind at ease. Thanks!
Living in San Francisco. Retiring to SE Asia "soon."  Mostly-retired filmmaker & writer. Avid traveler.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 01:50:50 pm »
@WriterWrong

Welcome to the forum, as a new member could you please open an introduction thread and, introduce yourself to the forum members that would be greatly  appreciated. Either in the "I Just tested Positive" section if you are newly diagnosed or "Living with HIV" section if you have been living with HIV longer.

You could perhaps start with as an example; How you are getting on? What treatment are you taking, how is that going? What your labs are like etc etc

Thank you

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.