Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 368
Total: 372

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: VANHIVAX Has Cured AIDS Patients. Is this true?  (Read 38716 times)

Offline queenmail123

VANHIVAX Has Cured AIDS Patients. Is this true?
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:10:26 pm »
Hi all,

I am sorry for being so troublesome! But I have came across the very nice article as the followings:

http://www.icicemac.com/news/index.php?nid=9879&pid=38

Could you believe that this is true?

I hope this is TRUE!

I love you all,

Queen

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: VANHIVAX Has Cured AIDS Patients. Is this true?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:28 pm »
No, I'm certain this is bullshit.

Prof. Anomah Ngu is the former Public Health Minister of Cameroon.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »
 . . . and more to the point, I think you're meant to stay in your own thread in the AMI forum.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 10:23:25 pm »
No, I'm certain this is bullshit.

I agree with Matty and I'm also calling BS on this one.

I'm sure you mean well but please stay in the AM I forums.

From the posting guidlines in the AM I forum:

With the exception of the “Am I Infected?” and “Off Topic” Forums, the AIDSmeds.com Forums are intended for people who have been diagnosed with HIV (or their loved ones/caregivers).  If you are questioning or unaware of your HIV status, please refrain from posting messages or questions in the Forums intended for HIV-positive people.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Jan
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:25:52 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:20 pm »
I think it went the way of the AIDS cure from Ghana the year before.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:30:06 pm »
We understand the government gave you FCFA 5 million to promote your activities, how beneficial has been the money?

"It has been useful. I have bought a few things with it".

I bet he has..and probably not much to do with his "Medical research"

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 08:44:18 am »
. . . . cue Bimazek ;)

MtD

Offline komnaes

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 09:28:52 am »
I think it went the way of the AIDS cure from Ghana the year before.

MtD

I heard that a few AIDS patients - including a kid called Cartman or something - were cured by injecting liquefied cash (like some USD100K) in this place called South Park in the US. Somehow Magic Johnson is instrumental in the discovery of this cure. I wonder where I can get more information about that... ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:17 am »
Professor Ngu sounds like the man to ask, given he has all that cash. :)

MtD

Offline denniss

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 08:54:30 pm »
This may be BS. But just as i  would ask for evidence from someone claiming a cure, why is this written off as BS? I raise my hand as one of those who think it  is BS. The problem I have is that my only reason is that I dont expect a cure from those parts especially that multi-million pharmas have failed to come up with one.

Can a cure come from Africa? Is a cure not one unless it is approved by FDA? Is it only treatment that goes through FDA-style clinical trials that is effective against the virus ("im fucked! its got FDA written all over it", said the virus). Is effective treatment only that which is in line with the understanding from commercial research?

Obviously some cure claims have come and gone. But there are a few from Africa that have been around for while  and all have similar patterns. 1. the inventors are trained in western medicine. (VANHIVAX inventor was trained under the supervision of the "discoverer" of penicillin - maybe wrong here) 2. the treatment never gets put through well planed clinical trials (due to luck of funding) 3. governments  quickly step in to stop the "charlatans" (usually this is done by some Minister of Health) without any scientific proof that the treatment does not work or is indeed "poison" 4. At this point the treatments that have no merit at all just disappear (eg those passed down from up above thru dreams). However, those that claim to be based on some scientific principle still persist. Governments are torn between loosing handouts from the west  and offending locals so they turn a blind eye. In some cases, governments have even turned around and  tried to help financially while being careful to distance themselves. By this point we take the safer option about the treatment (& probably rightly so) - "it is not FDA approved so it is BS".

Here are some of the BS that wont just go away.

Prof Tian Shengxun, Tian Immunity Booster
http://www.times.co.zm/news/viewnews.cgi?category=4&id=1105311064

Dr Jacob Abdulahi, Winniecure
http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-96620.0.html

Dr Jeremiah Abalaka
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/hiv/dn6451-controversial-aids-vaccines-are-plausible.html

Prof Anomah Ngu, VANHIVAX
http://cellularwisdom.org/

Note the similarity between the last 2 and the following
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_opal_immunotherapy_1667_14441.shtml

For the safety of vulnerable  sufferers, there must be an effective way of shutting these treatments down once and for all. The best way is to have a neutral body not in any way under the control of some govt or a body of parmas assess these treatments. Every minute counts and we do not want the case of the prophet who was not  accepted by his own people.

Offline hahaha

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:06:24 am »
This may be BS. But just as i  would ask for evidence from someone claiming a cure, why is this written off as BS? I raise my hand as one of those who think it  is BS. The problem I have is that my only reason is that I dont expect a cure from those parts especially that multi-million pharmas have failed to come up with one.

Can a cure come from Africa? Is a cure not one unless it is approved by FDA? Is it only treatment that goes through FDA-style clinical trials that is effective against the virus ("im fucked! its got FDA written all over it", said the virus). Is effective treatment only that which is in line with the understanding from commercial research?

I second Denniss word.  "FDA Approval" is quite an "American Ego" thing. Not all the invention need to file for an US approval.  It take million and million to get an FDA approval, and, at the end of the day, it become a rich men's game. 

Do remember that, FDA need you to do in vitro --> in vivo for animal --> phase I (safety) , phase II (quantity)  and phase III; and it requires thousand people's test to approve the vaccine.  It will suspend if any one of the testant die or has some side effect. 

However, the poor country may directly use human being to try the vaccine, and if he/she die, sorry, he/she die. That is it. period.   There may be no "beatiful" test report like what American did, but does it work? Possibly yes.

Of course we know that with the endorse of FDA, it will be more trust-worthy.  However, science is science, no matter whether it is from Africa, Middle East, Asia, Russia or south America.  For poor country and middle class science, there might not be enough $$$  to "prove" what they found.  But please don't, p-l-e-a-s-e DON'T, treat them as bull shit just because the results comes from those country or people.

Just show them some respect.  OK?
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:53 am »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 02:17:59 am by philly267 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 02:22:30 am »

However, the poor country may directly use human being to try the vaccine, and if he/she die, sorry, he/she die. That is it. period.   There may be no "beatiful" test report like what American did, but does it work? Possibly yes.

Nice.  You should click on my Dominican Republic link up above and scroll down towards the end to see what happened to all of the little children that friendly doctor vaccinated.

Not everyone in the esteemed Ngu's country of Cameroon seem to be celebrating yet.  Of course, that was four years ago.

Offline denniss

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 10:35:55 pm »
Nice.  You should click on my Dominican Republic link up above and scroll down towards the end to see what happened to all of the little children that friendly doctor vaccinated.

For as long as claims are written off on the basis of non-scientific reasons, we will always have the Dr Baez every now and again bcose they know there is always some sufferers willing to take a chance if there is no concrete proof against such treatment.

Not everyone in the esteemed Ngu's country of Cameroon seem to be celebrating yet.  Of course, that was four years ago.

All these doctors have no concrete scientific proof the treatment is useless - its all political. Remember most of these doctors belong to organizations that rely on western govt hand outs. In turn, they would say anything to show loyalty and keep receiving handouts. I find it hard to accept that over 15 yrs of work can be written off in just a days meeting because the methods "are not like those they use in the US". Can you imagine what would happen to the western financial markets should any of these cure claims be found valid? 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 11:52:51 pm »
sure

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:54 am »
I call bullshit because of the claim that "HIV has been cured" and no evidence has been advanced by the author of the article or the subject to support the claim.

I call bullshit because this claims comes out of Cameroon. Outlandish and unsubstantiated claims of HIV "cures" arise with tedious regularity from third world nations Like Cameroon. As other have noted Ghana and the Dominican Republic have are noted for this stuff. So too are "doctors" from India.

Like so many nations in the developing world, Cameroon is run by an authoritarian regime and corruption is wide spread. Unsubstantiated claim + corrupt third world nation == bullshit.

I respectfully reject the arguments advanced by Denniss and Hahaha here as well intentioned but ultimately misguided and rather patronising. They should not eschew scientific skepticism and rigour in favour of sympathy for the less well off.

MtD

Offline sanitex

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:09 am »
Matty,i think you're very crazy by renting africans continent with that such word,don't you know that most of the American doctors came from Nigeria and other african countrys,forget about corruption,in times of corruptions you most mention America no 1 and Australia also with their racism.if you do not belive on what they say keep your mouth shot for eat,let me tell you many pastors in Nigeria can heal but you most belive.
27/12/07 cd4 20 vl 1m
10/4 /08 cd4 86 vl 63
1/7/08  cd4 186 vl un
16/10/08 cd4 196 vl un
23/1/09 cd4 248 vl un
10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
13/12/11 cd4 410 vl un 23%
24/2/12 cd4 545 vl un 26%
22/2/12 chge trv to Recovir-em.10/9/11 cd4 418 vl <40 %22
7/7/12 cd4 359 vl <40 22%
23/8/12 cd4 400 vl <40 23%,
testosterone test 7.5 ng/ml and
thyroid (TSH)1.32 ml.
13/12/2012 cd4 523 24% vl <40
18/3/2013 cd4  513  23% vl <40
03/8/2013 cd4 429 22% vl <40
13/11/2013 cd4 455 23% vl <40
Anti-HBs testquantitative Anti-HBs pos
Titer 16.95 mlu/ml <10.00
22/3/14 cd4 396 vl <40 24%
24/7/14 tevir
24/9/14 cd4 517 vl <40 22%
16/3/15 cd4 545 vl  85 24%
12/4/16 cd4 626 vl <40 25%
16/8/16 cd4 396 vl <40 27% changNVP/recovir-em 22/7
8/12/16 cd4 511 vl ud 23%
5/6/16 cd4 688 vl ud %27
17/9 /20  chng TLD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 01:18:06 am »
Matty,i think you're very crazy by renting africans continent with that such word,don't you know that most of the American doctors came from Nigeria and other african countrys,forget about corruption,in times of corruptions you most mention America no 1 and Australia also with their racism.if you do not belive on what they say keep your mouth shot for eat,let me tell you many pastors in Nigeria can heal but you most belive.

Indeed. :)

/emphasis added by Matty the Damned/

MtD

Offline NYCguy

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 01:20:46 pm »
Hey komnaes, don't you think some people on here are being very "HIV negative"?
11/9/06 = #$%^&!
sometime early Dec 2006:
CD4 530 20%/VL >250,000 (&*$$%!!)
started Reyataz300mg/Norvir/Truvada 12-27-06.
1/30/07 CD4 540 30%/VL <400
4/07 CD4 600+ 33%/VL <50
6/9/07 CD4 720 37%/VL <50
10/15/07 CD4 891 (!) %? VL <50
1/2010 CD4 599 (37%) VL<50 (drop due to acute HCV)
9/2010 - looks like HCV is gone for good! And I'm finally drinking again, thank GOD
2013 - considering a switch to Stribild. but I love my Kidneys (but I hate farting all the time!)...
June 2013 - switched to Stribild.  so far so good...

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 02:26:24 pm »

I know Matty is quite capable of defending himself   :), but I think the gist of his comments were that we shouldn't put too much credence in news reports from countries where press freedoms are curtailed by corrupt authoritarian regimes.

But I was also puzzled by this statement "don't you know that most of the American doctors came from Nigeria and other african countrys" because it is not at all representative of my experience.  Turns out the American Medical Association publishes stats on this with some frequency.  As of 2006-2007 there were about 900 thousand doctors in the US of whom about 25% were international medical graduates.  India supplied by far the most (almost 20% of the IMGs).  The only African country in the top 10 was Egypt at 2% of IMGs.  That's not to say that there are not talented doctors of African origin -- there's just not a lot of them that have decided to move to the US and they are a very small percentage of US doctors.

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama1/pub/upload/mm/18/img-workforce-paper.pdf  see Tables 2 and 3

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 02:59:43 pm »
You read my mind and I didn't even have to do any research.

Offline denniss

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 04:53:32 pm »
All im saying is let us not allow race, govts, politics be used in deciding the validity of potential  treatments.

I agree with Matt when he says most bogus claims come from the third world. But the irony is this is partially possible because of some of  the attitudes we have here. Bogus inventors know that there are some unproven treatments which,at the very least are much better than the expensive commercial chemicals the mainstream are focused on,  but are not given any recognition. Charlatans too try their lackSP by claiming their treatment work but is "new & not accepted". But if there was a way of checking out persistent claims we would not have so many oil pedlars.

Take away race and nationality from Prof Ngu's profile and see what u remain with. As a matter of fact there is a possibility plausible researchers in the 3rd world are easily suppressed because of their corrupt govts who are led by the nose by the west. Instead of writing off claims as BS simply on the basis of race,nationality and politics maybe we ought to be thinking about ways we could get some neutral credible people to scientifically quash these claims. Can you imagine what goes thru some open minded sufferers' minds when they read this and realize  certain treatments are only written off because the "inventors" are African? I have always believed forums like this one are meant to help protect such people. As such, writing off persistent treatment claims on the basis of race and politics is just as bad as selling bogus medicines to sufferers.

Offline denniss

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:07 pm »
..............let me tell you many pastors in Nigeria can heal but you most belive.

Matt now look what u gone and done lol

Sanitex, I dont we think we are talking about that kind of healers. Btw those are found all over world! ;)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 05:36:07 pm »
Actually the notion that a cure was found by an African or that something had been invented by an African had no bearing on whether I believed it was factual or not. 

I've been positive many years and have seen many cures come and go. I am pessimistic about all claims for a cure reguardless of where they come from. In order for me to believe a cure was real I would need to see concrete evidence  before I would even consider it was anything but fraudulent. And even then it may take me a while to believe it was true.

I am hopefull that a cure is possible but I don't believe a cure is likely to be found.
And since I dont believe in faith healing I guess I'm screwed if one ever comes my way. my opinion...

I do however think that being positive in attitude and happy in general will make a person do well healthwise.

Laugh a little more. love a little more. enjoy life.  sing out loud and remember your never too old to play. 

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 10:26:34 pm »
All im saying is let us not allow race, govts, politics be used in deciding the validity of potential  treatments.

I agree with Matt when he says most bogus claims come from the third world. But the irony is this is partially possible because of some of  the attitudes we have here. Bogus inventors know that there are some unproven treatments which,at the very least are much better than the expensive commercial chemicals the mainstream are focused on,  but are not given any recognition. Charlatans too try their lackSP by claiming their treatment work but is "new & not accepted". But if there was a way of checking out persistent claims we would not have so many oil pedlars.

Take away race and nationality from Prof Ngu's profile and see what u remain with. As a matter of fact there is a possibility plausible researchers in the 3rd world are easily suppressed because of their corrupt govts who are led by the nose by the west. Instead of writing off claims as BS simply on the basis of race,nationality and politics maybe we ought to be thinking about ways we could get some neutral credible people to scientifically quash these claims. Can you imagine what goes thru some open minded sufferers' minds when they read this and realize  certain treatments are only written off because the "inventors" are African? I have always believed forums like this one are meant to help protect such people. As such, writing off persistent treatment claims on the basis of race and politics is just as bad as selling bogus medicines to sufferers.

I might agree with you if the only groups that were checking out potential cures were profit seeking entities who have a vested interest in not finding a cure.  But that simply isn't the case.  There's tons of non-profit organizations looking for new, simple and cost effective ways to treat diseases, starting with governmental public health services (CDC and NIH in the US), foundations (e.g. Bill and Melinda Gates), universities, AIDs research groups . . .

If someone feels that they have a legitimate cure that can withstand inquiry, what's to stop them going on the Gates Foundation website and completing a letter of inquiry -- its a 3 page form  or from contacting AIDS research organizations to say they'd like help in figuring out how to get proof of concept etc?  But you don't see these folks inviting scrutiny and their claims seem to sneak into the media mainly in places where the media is weak . . .
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 11:27:47 pm »
I'm not just talking about the media in Cameroon or <insert dictatorial backwater of choice> being weak, but the entire institutional fabric of the nation.

The former Minister for Public Health is now running an outfit which claims to have cured people of AIDS. Clearly he's a worthy of the regime and in such cases we can question the independence and integrity of academic institutions, scientific foundations and the like.

What's more (and as was pointed out to me this morning by a Wise Woman) these experimental "cures" pop up in places like Cameroon because there life is cheap. The regime doesn't wanna fork out the money to buy it's citizens the life saving, proven remedies that we have in the first world. Not because they can't afford them, but rather they'd prefer fund the military or build palaces or whatever. The people of Cameroon have no voice so they can get fucked as far as Monsieur Le President is concerned. He doesn't need them to stay in power.

I could go on but I think my point is made.

MtD

Offline denniss

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 11:29:13 pm »
I might agree with you if the only groups that were checking out potential cures were profit seeking entities who have a vested interest in not finding a cure.  But that simply isn't the case.  There's tons of non-profit organizations looking for new, simple and cost effective ways to treat diseases, starting with governmental public health services (CDC and NIH in the US), foundations (e.g. Bill and Melinda Gates), universities, AIDs research groups . . .

If someone feels that they have a legitimate cure that can withstand inquiry, what's to stop them going on the Gates Foundation website and completing a letter of inquiry -- its a 3 page form  or from contacting AIDS research organizations to say they'd like help in figuring out how to get proof of concept etc?  But you don't see these folks inviting scrutiny and their claims seem to sneak into the media mainly in places where the media is weak . . .

Some have tried to get their inventions put to test. Do they trust US institutions with their discoveries? Apparently, it is not that straight forward if you are from a certain part of the world and broke.
http://www.aegis.com/news/pana/2001/PA010751.html

Offline denniss

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 11:33:16 pm »
I'm not just talking about the media in Cameroon or <insert dictatorial backwater of choice> being weak, but the entire institutional fabric of the nation.

The former Minister for Public Health is now running an outfit which claims to have cured people of AIDS. Clearly he's a worthy of the regime and in such cases we can question the independence and integrity of academic institutions, scientific foundations and the like.

What's more (and as was pointed out to me this morning by a Wise Woman) these experimental "cures" pop up in places like Cameroon because there life is cheap. The regime doesn't wanna fork out the money to buy it's citizens the life saving, proven remedies that we have in the first world. Not because they can't afford them, but rather they'd prefer fund the military or build palaces or whatever. The people of Cameroon have no voice so they can get fucked as far as Monsieur Le President is concerned. He doesn't need them to stay in power.

I could go on but I think my point is made.

MtD

Sounds like hell in Africa & they don't stand a chance.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2008, 12:11:55 am »
Hey komnaes, don't you think some people on here are being very "HIV negative"?

I can't speak for the others but at this moment I am being a bit negative for being HIV positive.. but then it comes and goes..  ;)

In any case I would believe in a "cure" when it cures ME.. otherwise, while still not required to be on meds, I am sticking to magic mushroom..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 12:38:10 am »
Sounds like hell in Africa & they don't stand a chance.

I wouldn't say that Denniss. They've got you and Hahaha on their side. That's gotta count for something.

MtD

Offline denniss

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 01:14:20 am »
Here is the profile of the former Minister of Public Health for a certain lawless African country who apparently gets away with experimenting on cheap lives only because his president does not care about his country.
http://cellularwisdom.org/van_cv.html

Boy oh boy they even let him get into Harvard Medical School and John Hopkins Hospital Medical School. Surely this must be lies!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 01:28:54 am »
I feel like I'm watching Blood Diamond.  And Matty is Leonardo.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 01:41:49 am »
Here is the profile of the former Minister of Public Health for a certain lawless African country who apparently gets away with experimenting on cheap lives only because his president does not care about his country.

Boy oh boy they even let him get into Harvard Medical School and John Hopkins Hospital Medical School. Surely this must be lies!

Alright Deniss,

You're a regular denizen of the Space-Under-the-Fridge known as the Research Forum, why don't you demonstrate why the substantive matter raised by the OP (a WW as it happens) is worthy of serious consideration? I mean HIV Research is your thing, why don't you explain the validity of Professor Ngu's research?

MtD

/edited to sharpen the point with like capital letters and pronouns and stuff/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:33:33 am by matty.the.damned »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 01:49:56 am »
Do they trust US institutions with their discoveries? Apparently, it is not that straight forward if you are from a certain part of the world and broke.

There's a recurring theme in your past posts concerning Western Imperialism that reeks of some sort of PTSD as a result of colonialism.  While I appreciate the affliction it seems to be effecting any sort of critical thinking in certain spots.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 02:12:13 am »
Its like saying "I love you" to get you to look at an email.

Just say

"A Cure for HIV has been Found".

I don't care where it comes from, East, West, 3rd World, Greenland.

There is no "cure" for HIV. There are Treatments. Virus's are not defeated/cured. One might prevent the spread, one might help the body suppress the virus by any number of means, one might be able to reengineer an immune system to resist the virus.

But non of these are "cures", they are all methods to treat HIV or Prevent HIV Transmission.

Never trust anyone or anything that say "A Cure has been Found!". It is not how a treatment, even a powerful successful treatment, will be announced by the creators of that treatment. The press might get carried away and make simplified claims, but not the originator.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 02:19:58 am »
Denniss?

I'm waiting for an answer.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 07:52:35 am »

He was at Harvard and JH in the early 60s. LONG before hiv came on the scene. There is nothing in his CV that points to any knowledge or experience in treating hiv.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Basquo

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:16 am »
A former friend has a Phd in mechanical engineering and is hypersmart, unfortunately her degree wasn't in biology or we might still be friends.  Here's how it went down, about the time I starting lurking on AIDSmeds:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/favorites/is_a_virus_considered_an_animal_.html?contentInstanceId=377787&siteId=7151

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2008, 11:36:53 am »
Now THAT was a juicy little nugget to read.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2008, 11:56:16 am »
hee

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:16 pm »
I'd really LOVE to take your worm expellant, but Dr. Gallant says you're a complete loony, so I can't.
LMAO

Offline denniss

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2008, 05:07:51 pm »
Denniss?

I'm waiting for an answer.

MtD

'Sup Matt, sorry i had to hit the sack (im on the other side of the pond, UK).

All  Iam saying or trying to say is writing off some claims on the basis of race nationality & politics is just as bad as peddling bogus cures.

I have found this forum very helpful and useful because there are some knowledgeable contributors who are able to pick things apart and give well grounded & convincing reasons. Dont
get me wrong - I am not saying these are valid cure claims. Not any claim warrants scrutiny but If we are going to write off a persistent treatment let it be on the basis of good reasons or at least make positive suggestions - Abbursanipal did this very well.

And no I dont claim to be an expert in HIV research and, if it's ok,  I will now just crawl back into the Space-Under-the-Fridge.

Offline denniss

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2008, 05:12:02 pm »
He was at Harvard and JH in the early 60s. LONG before hiv came on the scene. There is nothing in his CV that points to any knowledge or experience in treating hiv.

Ann

I was just trying to say he has a good profile and a good grounding in research unlike some doctors whose inventions come to them in dreams.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2008, 05:18:36 pm »
I was just trying to say he has a good profile and a good grounding in research unlike some doctors whose inventions come to them in dreams.

Unlike the psychiatrist with the AIDS cure in the Dominican Republic a year ago that you also stood up for -- you know the one that ended up that the good "doctor" was injecting this snake oil in 10 year old girls?

Offline denniss

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2008, 05:38:25 pm »
Unlike the psychiatrist with the AIDS cure in the Dominican Republic a year ago that you also stood up for -- you know the one that ended up that the good "doctor" was injecting this snake oil in 10 year old girls?

I was not saying that was a cure. Brings me back to the point I am trying to make - the best way of stopping such peddlers is to make sure they know there is a mechanism in place that will quash their claims. The way things stand now it is free for all. Get the damn things tested and see how many charlatans will be willing to use the "C" word.

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2008, 05:59:59 pm »

Ann

To be fair he does list 8 "papers" on HIV on his website

http://cellularwisdom.org/hiv.html

-- however it seems quite telling that most of the HIV papers were published in Medical Hypotheses  which appears to be largely antipathetic to the idea of peer reviewed science.  In fact its editorial board says "Even probably untrue papers may be judged worth publishing if they contain aspects (ideas, perspectives, data) that are potentially stimulating to the development of future science."

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/623059/description#description

It also appears that he published his results on Vahnivax (as a web publication) in 2002, which is when he said he was working with Western researchers in the press article.  It would appear surprising that no-one would have taken up a legit cure/strategy in over 6 years.  The same website has a press room with two articles, one of which is a 2002 interview with Robert Gallo in which Gallo tells the interviewer he has just heard of Vahnivax -- seems odd that nothing more would have come of it if there were anything to it.

Looking more fully at his other publications, he appears to have had a distinguished career, publishing a number of peer reviewed articles in the 50's and 60's, serving as government minister of public health, advisor to WHO, president of the African Association of Universities (taking his CV at face value).  This is precisely the type of individual who, if he had a legit claim and were willing to submit to scientific scrutiny, would be likely to be taken seriously.  But, unlike his prior publications, his HIV publications are published solely in speculative rather than peer reviewed journals.

He is now in his 80's . . .frankly it all seems rather sad as an end to what appears to have been a distinguished career. . .
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 08:10:39 pm »
Scientists and Engineers certainly have been known to be smart people. But they can fall prey to the same ego driven aspects of personality as us less distinguished folks. It seems that folks who have early success in their lives perhaps are more vulnerable to overstating, overreaching or just plain lying in their later years to perhaps satisfy loss of prestige and the ability to generate new works of interest.

We have seen evidence of this as others have essentially made similar claims about being able to Cure HIV or all Infections with electricity, Curing HIV with Lemon Juice and Olive Oil, etc. etc. etc.

And because we are desperate for a cure, they receive attention from us. And i don't blame us or say we are fools to believe. All we can do is watch each others backs and question and scrutinize as we are inclined to do.  ;)
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Ozzie23

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 11:47:59 am »
Hello all...

according to the good proffesor Lipid sciences has 'stolen' his methods for the therapeutic vaccine...

It does seem interesting that Lipid Sciences are trying to raise funds for a 'potent' therapeutic vaccine themselves now!!

maybe there is something in this after all... imagine if the potential Lipid Sciences vaccine actually does cure someone,,

well there is always hope

Ozzie 23

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 03:06:07 pm »
sure

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.