Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:12:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 593
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Alternating Days - Biktarvy Med - Not Taking Meds Every Day  (Read 6535 times)

Offline jcelvis

Alternating Days - Biktarvy Med - Not Taking Meds Every Day
« on: March 31, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »
Just got off the phone with my Dr, about the side effects of Biktarvy (weight gain/fat distribution in the lower abdomen region) . I've been undetectable for 10 years now.

My Dr says the Biktarvy drug is so powerful, that it's safe for me to not take the drug everyday. He says I can start taking the drug 1 day on/ 1 day off (alternating days, such as taking it every odd day).

Is anyone doing this?

I have been adherent for 10 years, but the weight gain in the stomach area is causing me undo stress.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline Grasshopper

Re: Alternating Days - Biktarvy Med - Not Taking Meds Every Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:15:59 pm »
Sounds odd ???

https://www.biktarvy.com/taking-biktarvy

What should I do if I run out of medicine?
When your BIKTARVY supply starts to run low, get more from your healthcare provider or pharmacy. This is very important because the amount of virus in your blood may increase if the medicine is stopped even for a short time. The virus may develop resistance to BIKTARVY and become harder to treat./b]

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 03:27:35 pm »
the side effects of Biktarvy (weight gain/fat distribution in the lower abdomen region) . I've been undetectable for 10 years now.
halfway taking an antiretroviral is a terrible way to compensate for side effects.

so some questions to consider:
how long have you been taking Biktarvy?
when did you start having this side effect?
Why did you change to this regimen?
Was your previous regimen working for you?
what other regimen has your doctor suggested that might not have this side effect?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 04:00:19 pm »
Guinea pig, interesting.

I don't know of any real world studies to back up the doctors claims on Biktarvy. Last and most recent attempt with modern ART and non daily treatment came with mixed results and a heatlh warning.

Anyhow, best of luck whatever you decide to do.

i-Base report urges caution over French study only taking ART 4 days a week
@IAS_conference  see: link: http://i-base.info/htb/36517
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:21:55 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 06:20:52 pm »

My Dr says the Biktarvy drug is so powerful, that it's safe for me to not take the drug everyday. He says I can start taking the drug 1 day on/ 1 day off (alternating days, such as taking it every odd day).

Is anyone doing this?

Short answer--Not me

I think your Doctor is wrong in suggesting this to you. We all know what the insert says: "One pill per day,  with or without food". 

It doesn't say anything about every other day.

Now ,  I can understand what you are saying about the weight gain. I had exactly the same issues, with Biktarvy, when I was on it.  And the weight gain came on quickly over a short period of time.

I switched back to Viramune and Epzicom on January 20th, 20. So its been about 2 months and 10 days or so.  I have dropped 6 pounds all in the mid section, since dropping Biktarvy. I feel a hell of a lot better about myself with the weight loss.  And I'm sure it's healthier all the way around.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Matths

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 07:04:10 pm »
Hi there, I can only second what the others here said: there are no data supporting an approach to take ART only every other day in order to prevent side effects including weight gain. In fact, you state you have good adherence and I assume this results in being undetectable for an extended period of time. I personally would never risk this accomplishment. Instead, I would do a careful analysis of treatment history and select a treatment that keeps the U status and doesn’t increase the risk for metabolic changes including weight gain. And there are dietary and life style changes that you could consider before risking to set you up for going through treatment failure. I would revisit this topic with your doctor. Good luck! Matt

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 07:24:02 pm »
Guinea pig, interesting.

I don't know of any real world studies to back up the doctors claims on Biktarvy. Last and most recent attempt with modern ART and non daily treatment came with mixed results and a heatlh warning.

There are studies: https://www.poz.com/article/atripla-taken-every-day-still-suppresses-hiv-high-rate

Alternate-day therapy is different than intermittent therapy and my dr explicitly expressed not skipping 2 days in a row, which is what they study your referring to does (4 days on 3 days off).

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »
Hi there, I can only second what the others here said: there are no data supporting an approach to take ART only every other day in order to prevent side effects including weight gain. In fact, you state you have good adherence and I assume this results in being undetectable for an extended period of time. I personally would never risk this accomplishment. Instead, I would do a careful analysis of treatment history and select a treatment that keeps the U status and doesn’t increase the risk for metabolic changes including weight gain. And there are dietary and life style changes that you could consider before risking to set you up for going through treatment failure. I would revisit this topic with your doctor. Good luck! Matt

You assume that I haven’t done any dietary and lifestyle changes. This issue has been going on for 3 years, it’s related to the new drug class TAF. I’ve been complaining about weight since this drug class was released and finally studies are confirming my observations:

https://www.sfaf.org/collections/beta/what-we-know-about-descovys-impact-on-weight-cholesterol/

It’s not a minor issue for me. Its wrecking my metabolism and cholesterol.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 08:05:09 pm »
There are studies
atripla is not biktarvy

You assume that I haven’t done any dietary and lifestyle changes. This issue has been going on for 3 years,
why did you not return to your previous regimen or try a different regimen for the last 3 yrs?

You should have a discussion with your doctor about your side effects, and demand another regimen rather that suffer with this problem
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Matths

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:57 pm »
Obviously you tried a range of measures but as you have noted you are experiencing what science seems to confirm now. I would recommend you go back to your doctor and discuss alternatives. And also read the literature with focus on switch studies in chronically suppressed patients, ie the TANGO study or others. But in any case you should create a timeline of all treatments you had in the past and list how you responded including side effects. Hope you can figure this out quickly! Matt

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 09:28:08 pm »
atripla is not biktarvy
why did you not return to your previous regimen or try a different regimen for the last 3 yrs?

You should have a discussion with your doctor about your side effects, and demand another regimen rather that suffer with this problem

I’ve been on 4 meds Atripla, Stribild, genvoya, biktarvy

Atripla and stribild are no longer accepts therapies by drug companies.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 09:55:02 pm »
There are studies: https://www.poz.com/article/atripla-taken-every-day-still-suppresses-hiv-high-rate

Alternate-day therapy is different than intermittent therapy and my dr explicitly expressed not skipping 2 days in a row, which is what they study your referring to does (4 days on 3 days off).

197 small sample size over 48 weeks with Atripla does not make Biktarvy last time I checked  ;)

Atripla is well known in small studies but it's not a first line (modern) treatment anymore. What your doctor is suggesting has not been studied in large human trials with modern (first-line) treatment as far as I know, only 4/7 days with mixed results, hence I said Guinea pig,

Weight gain is a known issue although there are multiple factors to it, I would suggest discussing it more with your doctor, cut out the binge dieting as you put it recently and prehaps re-discuss/review other treatment options instead of experimenting with dosages.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best and hope you find a resolution that works safely for you.

Guinea pig, interesting.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:00:45 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 10:11:18 pm »
Realizing why I quit this community a long time ago.

Jim- interesting that you’ll cherry-pick the articles to try to prove your point and on the other hand try to discredit mine.

I don’t need a lecture on studies. Are you a doctor?

I’ve been going to my dr since I was diagnosed. I’ve had multiple discussions with dr, I’m not new to this.

I asked who’s trying this, not should I do this.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 10:15:36 pm »
Look, knock yourself out, no lecture intended.

I was just pointing out to be careful, consider alternatives and re-discuss, like most of the people who kindly took their time to reply to you. I don't need an article to point out Atripla is not Biktarvy.

What your doctor is suggesting is unstudied in current first-line treatments.
I would point out the same again for anyone posting about an unproven treatment regime here.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:55:58 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:52:45 am »
What your doctor is suggesting is unstudied in current first-line treatments.
I would point out the same again for anyone posting about an unproven treatment regime here.
especially when there are other regimens that might not have the kind of side effect related here.

During the early years (90s-00s) I changed regimens a lot because side effects and then because of the huge improvement in treatment. Even though I have used 27 different meds through the last 28 years of treatment, I've been on my current treatment for nearly 6 years now, and before that I was on my last regimen for 10 yrs.

as someone who has switched meds, I would make a few more points for the OP and others to consider:

1. you don't always have to take a single pill regimen. there are plenty of two and three pill regimens

2.  you don't always need to change a regimen. Stopping side effects, saving money, reducing pill burden, moving to a more effective treatment are all good reasons. But if those issues aren't an issue, there may not be a reason to change.  While Atripla is not a first-line treatment, plenty of people have stayed on it for years. With my work in the Ryan White program, I know lots of people who still take Atripla - because it works for them. (personally I had horrible issues with Sustiva like a percentage of people did but if it works for these other people, good for them)

Is your regimen working for you (ie no side effects or manageable mild side effects, and remaining undetectable)? Sometimes not fixing something that isn't broken is the best option (and doesn't risk dealing with side effects the new med might cause ;) ).
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2020, 01:04:24 pm »
We’re in 2020. Quite a bit of advancements are occurring for people with suppressed viral loads

A couple of years ago no one was discussing two-drug regimes either.

As much as you want to argue with me about this, there’s also no longitudinal studies on the how the constant level of elevated drug levels in the system is damaging our bodies. Toxicity is a concern for doctors and studies on regime simplification are happening and that includes methods such as alternate-day dosing.

You can be as conservative as you want in your approach to your medical treatment, stop treating me as I am unknowledgeable or that my doctor is incompetent because you don’t agree with his strategy.

I’m looking for people who are trying this method and you’re hijacking this thread with your holier than thou, my method is better than your method, attitude. 

Offline zach

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 03:04:59 pm »
Edited... it wasn't nice

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:08:23 pm by zach »

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 05:18:42 pm »
Realizing why I quit this community a long time ago.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 06:59:13 pm »
my method is better than your method
LOL
it's not my "method", it's just the CDC/FDA approved dosage, but whatevs :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 09:51:08 pm »
I'm not sure why folks are digging their feet in here.  The OP has made his stance clear -- a number of folks have (rightly) expressed their thoughts and provided some facts on his question.

Piling on like you are doing and going tit for tat with him isn't going to change his mind.  He trusts his doctor and is clearly planning to go forward.  So, if you don't agree, you gave your advice, now let it go.  Why push him away - it makes no sense.

To the OP -- you can't ask a question like yours and NOT expect pushback.  While, I feel, some have gone a bit too far and have delved into condescension, it was important to point out that this approach is unorthodox.  We certainly don't want newbies to think it's OK to do everyother day on their own.

It sounds like you are going forward with eyes wide open and with a doctor's blessing, so I wish you good luck.

Mike

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 10:42:36 pm »
@All

A small ask, if you're not posting in the thread to discuss the topic with the OP then please just let it be at this point. No point in continuing.

@OP

Nobody has denied that progress has been made, nobody has said your doctor is incompetent either or mentioned anything against the general idea of reduced drug levels and regime simplification. Bi/mono therapy conversations are nearly as old as me.

You posted something, so expect comments and if you react, then expect a response. It's a forum and not everyone will see eye to eye with you, neither do you have to agree with people, nobody until your last post was arguing beyond reasonable discussion giving the topic or attacking you, so no need for the drama.

People have expressed slightly different points of view, or experience than you, and/or genuine concerns regarding what you are suggesting, it's not surprising.

To keep this in good order, if you have issues with peoples posts and don't wish to discuss it reasonably then here are your limited choices:.

One, you can use the Report to Moderator link found at the bottom of any post.

Two, you can put that forum member on Ignore by using the link that appears at the bottom of the user information next to their post. You can unignore a member by going into your profile and taking them off the ignore list.

Three, and my favourite, simply ignore it.

Jim 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:01:02 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:17:48 pm »
Just got off the phone with my Dr, about the side effects of Biktarvy (weight gain/fat distribution in the lower abdomen region) . I've been undetectable for 10 years now.

Is anyone doing this?

I have been adherent for 10 years, but the weight gain in the stomach area is causing me undo stress.

As explained by my ID, one the meds in Biktarvy (and I don't recall which) has a median life of 36hours or so. BUT not the others which have a considerably less half life. According to my ID, the imbalance of having one drug still active while the others have decayed can prove to be troublesome as these components need to act together. I asked if I could go the same, one day on one day off...  Stay your course!
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.