Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:35:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 211
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Interesting Observation  (Read 2246 times)

Offline RobbyR

Interesting Observation
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:04 am »
Something curious I've been wondering about lately, and wondering if there's any correlation between my meds & an interesting thing I'm experiencing. Disclaimer, this is purely speculation and questions on my part. Also, if you don't currently smoke, don't start! It's a bad habit. Now to my question.

I have smoked for years, some more, some less. Ultimately I do want to quit because I know it's bad for me. Right now, I'm down to maybe half a pack a day on average, but many days much less than that. I have smoked for about 18 years. I started when I was in high school. Through my 20s I was a pretty heavy smoker, sometimes 2 packs a day. The curious thing to me though is before I was diagnosed hiv positive, and before I started meds, I literally could not go 20 minutes without needing another cigarette. Once, I thought I had another pack at home and it was snowy out and I couldn't get to the store and I about lost it. I would get terrible physical symptoms and become a raging bitch if I didn't smoke really regularly. But when I started hiv meds, and ever since, it's completely different. I still smoke, not as much as before, but now, even though I smoke the same brand, I can go hours without needing another cigarette. I don't get terrible physical cravings. Is there some kind of effect that hiv meds have in terms of eliminating nicotine cravings or something that nobody has looked at? Because I am telling you, I still smoke, and still inhale, and I can go hours to even a day or two and not have any physical nicotine withdrawal symptoms. But before I started my meds, it was totally different, I was like a heroin addict towards cigarettes. And this has been the same regardless of which HIV med I have been on, atripla, stribild, genvoya. Same thing. I can smoke like a chimney and then go a whole weekend and not crave a single cigarette. And then I can go right back and smoke more and stop again, same thing. Just wondering if some of these HAART meds are replicating something like Chantix in some way that has not been detected yet.

This has purely been my own experience, and didn't know where else to share it so thought I would here. Maybe some of you have had similar experience? Bottom line it's best to quit smoking if you can, but it's the hardest thing ever.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Interesting Observation
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:15:13 am »
I haven't smoked in 13 years and quit cold turkey, but I was a heavy smoker even while on meds.
Everybody reacts differently, so maybe that's how they are affecting you.
If this is the case that's great. :)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 12:28:57 pm »
I had actually quit for a brief time too, shortly before I started hiv meds in fact. But that attempt failed I am I have been smoking again ever since. Though never to the extent as before. I just wonder if a positive side effect of hiv meds for some could be blocking nicotine receptors to an extent..because I still smoke quite a bit but never crave them any more.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:56:38 pm »
Hi Robbie,

After smoking for about 38 years of my life, I quit when I was diagnosed with aids, only had one cigarette about 5 months after that day and thought I was going to puke and had to throw it away after a couple of drags..

Could the meds have made it easier to quit? maybe since I was on them when I did.. but I just thought it was my desire to live during a time when I thought I would surely die that nailed the smoking coffin shut..

Robbie, I don't mean to sound preachy but If it's that much easier for you to go without a smoke bc the meds are helping curb the desire.. then this may be your opportunity to rid yourself of the cancer sticks for good..

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »
I didn't encounter any toning down of urge to smoke following meds, so think this may be fairly unique to you Robby.

As said by others...if this is the case then seize the moment
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.