Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Vaccine Trials  (Read 13369 times)

Offline kazoo

HIV Vaccine Trials
« on: June 03, 2006, 07:08:30 pm »
I had posted on the old forum page, freaking out about whether I had HIV or not. Again, it was a low-risk activity and I tested negative at 7 weeks. I just wanted to keep you guys updated on this. I haven't tested again for HIV yet but I really don't think that's the problem behind my lymph nodes at this point. My physician has suggested a biopsy.  :(   So... I just wanted to put this out to all the worriers that symptoms don't necessarily equal HIV. Now we're just hoping it's not cancer...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Rapid Testing...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 09:55:08 pm »
Just in general a negative at 7 weeks is next-best to an all clear. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number who are going to serocovert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

Lymph nodes may become swollen for all sorts of reasons and cancer is hardly the first possibility that comes to my mind. But I won't do any guessing about them. That's beyond our role here.

Wishing you well with your biopsy result.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline kazoo

Re: Rapid Testing...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
Thanks. Hopefully all will be well.

And, thanks to everyone who replied, both in this post and on the old forum. I wish you all well.  :)

Offline kazoo

Protected anal - no risk?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 02:26:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm back, far too soon. I posted a few months ago about a fear from getting hiv from a blowjob. Of course, that concern was unwarranted, and I tested negative following that event.

However I've now given myself something new to worry about. I had anal sex for the first time last week; I was the bottom. We used a condom, and as far as I know, everything went fine. Then three days later I developed a high fever with body aches and a headache. The fever lasted for a couple days and then went down, but then I developed a spotted, non-itchy rash all over my chest, neck, and down my arms. Of course, the first thing that came to mind was HIV ARS. Any thoughts on this situation?

I think I just wasn't built to have sex.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Protected anal - no risk?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 02:35:37 pm »
Kazoo,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

As long as a condom was used, you were protected against hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 03:10:00 pm »
Kazoo,

Symptoms related to hiv infection, if they occured at all, would not happen so soon after exposure.  They generally appear 2-4 weeks post encounter.

And, as Ann said, you had protected sex and didn't put yourself at risk for hiv. 

No risk.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline kazoo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 07:15:19 pm »
So symptoms wouldn't be showing three days after encounter?

My concern is that this was my first time having sex. I assume the condom did not break or slip, but I did not look at the condom after he pulled out. He did not say that anything had gone wrong. Would I have known if the condom had broke inside me?

Dan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 07:46:05 pm »
Dan,

No, symptoms, if they happen at all, don't happen that quickly.

Although it sounds like the condom was used correctly, you need to be more aware of what's happening in the future. It's your responsibility to look after your health - and that includes keeping an eye on your top to make sure they are using condoms and using them correctly. Make sure you have a look at the condom and lube links in my signature line.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

While you don't need to test over this protected incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

You should start having these routine check-ups once you become sexually active on a fairly regular basis. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kazoo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:35:35 pm »
Thanks for all of your thoughts on this.

I'm debating asking this person if he noticed any problems with condom usage, but I don't want to be a nag about this.

Another question (which I know I shouldn't ask)... should these symptoms i'm having be appearing sporadically? The rash did not appear until after the fever stopped. And the rash itself has been inconsistent, appearing as red speckles all over but moving to other areas of the body.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:40:52 pm »
Kazoo,

Symptoms, if they appear at all, come all at once 2-4 weeks post exposure, and go all at once a week or so later.

An intact condom provides excellent protection against hiv infection.  Use them every time to avoid infection.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 06:10:33 am »
Kazoo,

I suggest seeing your doctor about that rash if it continues to bother you. Many, many different illnesses - as well as allergies - can cause a rash. Get it checked out. Your health is NEVER anything to guess about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kazoo

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 11:42:03 am »
Well, the rash is all gone as of this morning, meaning it lasted about 36 hours. I don't know what to make of it. Is this inconsistent with HIV ARS?

My other question is would I have known if a condom broke inside of me? It was my first time having sex, so I had no idea what to expect.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 03:48:02 pm »
I've been thinking back on this situation, and I now realize that it was five days between encounter and symptoms, not three. Yikes! This has me really freaking out about ARS. First the fever, then the rash. I don't know what to think other than negative thoughts.

I could be an instance where the condom failed.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 05:12:12 pm »
Reread Morgan's thread to you. It says weeks not days. Your symptoms are NOT ARS symptoms.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 10:44:08 pm »
Again, thank you all for your thoughts. I really do appreciate it.

It seems that I am breaking out with this rash after my skin gets wet, usually after a shower and it has become more concentrated on my hands. I'm not sure what this means, but it doesn't make sense to me that a viral rash would get worse after a shower.

I'm hoping to talk with the person soon and ask whether there was any problem with the condom. I agree, I should pay more attention. I think I was too caught up with this being my first time.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 05:18:54 am »
Kazoo,

If you're having problems with your skin, we aren't the people to talk to and neither is your sexual partner. The person you need to see and talk to is your doctor. We cannot diagnose you over the internet - no one can - and unless your partner is a doctor, he cannot diagnose you either.

You had protected intercourse. As it was your first time and you have not complained of pain, I imagine that plenty of lube was used. If I am correct, then it is unlikely that the condom broke. The use of lube goes a long way to preventing condom breakage, as you will know if you read the links in my signature line.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kazoo

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 05:18:23 pm »
We used a considerable amount of lube and the pain I felt was fairly minimal. This was not my top's first time, so he knew what he was doing. I didn't know this would help prevent condom breakage though.

I also spoke with him about my concerns. He was very kind and said that I have nothing to worry about.

Here's to hoping that this was simply a big coincidence.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 06:36:37 pm »
Kazoo,

It really doesn't sound as though you have anything to worry about.

In future, make sure you remain aware of what your top is doing and make sure he's using the condom correctly. You can even put it on him yourself to make sure no air remains in the tip. Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you know the score where condom use is concerned.

And don't forget, regular sexual health care check ups are a part of being sexually active.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kazoo

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2006, 01:13:05 pm »
Well, after feeling better for a few days, my fever returned last night along with vomiting. This has obviously peaked my anxiety. I'm feeling better again today but I have no idea what's going on.

I didn't think I could get HIV if I used a condom. The only other things we did were deep kissing, mutual masturbation, and him performing oral sex on me. I didn't think these could transmit HIV either though.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2006, 03:59:39 pm »
You're right, they can't.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 11:07:11 pm »
I'm so scared to get tested given these new developments. It's so easy to for me to link these symptoms to a primary HIV infection.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 11:17:14 pm »
Then we have failed to educate you. I apologize.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kazoo

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2006, 11:29:20 pm »
You haven't failed at anything. All of your responses mean a lot to me. I'm just stubborn.

I'm just trying to go back and figure out what (if anything) happened that could have led to transmission. So far, I can't come up with anything.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2006, 11:34:54 pm »
So far, I can't come up with anything

That's because you didn't have a risk. I am baffled as to why you are seemingly obsessed with HIV, when it's possibly the ONE thing you absolutely DON'T get from the activities you mentioned.

I really don't know what more you expect from this forum. It appears that the conversation has been circling itself here.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline kazoo

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 02:23:40 pm »
Well all my symptoms are gone, but I'm noticing a lot of irritation around my anus, especially after going to the bathroom. Sorry that was pretty nasty. But there seems to be some kind of wound there, even though it was two weeks ago that we had sex. Could this have been a possible source of infection?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 02:26:51 pm »
If you think you have injured your anus, see a doctor. No need to be discussing it on the internet.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 11:23:44 am »
Could mutual masturbation have placed me at risk? This person had a lot of precum and I am sure that some of it got on me. The only point of entry though would have been at the head of the penis... is this possible?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 11:27:40 am »
Mututual masturbastion is not a risk.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 11:52:12 am »
You were not at risk. Your mind may continue to churn up more "what ifs." That's about feelings and not facts.

You have no basis in HIV science for further concern about HIV in relation to the incident which inspired you to begin this thread.

Please don't come up with another what if. Go see your doctor if you have physical concerns. We can't diagnose anything here.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline kazoo

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2006, 08:30:59 pm »
It has now been over six weeks since this latest concern with the anal sex. I know, a condom was used. I'm debating getting tested soon but I'm so frightened.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 08:35:20 pm »
If you come up positive, it will not be from this situation that you have explained.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 09:39:05 pm »
Alright, it has been over three months now since my incident and I still have not been tested. I am trying to work up the courage to do so. I recently moved out to Seattle and I know there are many options available to me for getting tested.

I also have not engaged in any sexual activity since this, so I know that my status is the result of my "protected" anal sex over the summer. I know, we used a condom, and my symptoms are unimportant.

Why can't I get the courage to take this test?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 06:02:12 am »
You don't need to test in the first place so you don't need the courage to do anything. You had protected sex. NO RISK. End of Story.

Offline kazoo

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 10:51:43 pm »
I was able to get a friend to go with me to get a rapid HIV test today. It was negative.  :)

I'm so relieved, and thankful for all of your comments.

Best wishes,

Kalamazoo

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 08:41:34 am »
Congratulations on that not unexpected negative result.

Now you have something to be really thankful about during the holiday and as you get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline kazoo

HIV Vaccine Trials
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 01:03:35 am »
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but I have a question regarding false-positives during HIV vaccine trials. I recently enrolled in a trial, and I understand that participants may test false-positive when taking a standard antibody test, depending on whether they received the vaccine or a placebo. Thus, we are instructed to test only at the study site, where different testing is used. My question is how long after a vaccine trial might a participant still test false-positive using standard antibody tests. Months? Years? Decades? I haven't found a good answer on this.

Thanks for any insight,
Kazoo

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: HIV Vaccine Trials
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 07:22:39 am »
Kazoo,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

I honestly don't know. This is something you need to discuss with the study coordinators. You should have been provided with contact details for someone who can answer any questions or concerns you may have while participating in this trial.

However, it sounds to me like they are talking about false positives on ELISA-type antibody tests. Any positive on an ELISA must be confirmed with a positive on a Western Blot - so maybe another question you need to be asking the coordinators is if the possibility of a false positive also applies to a Western Blot, or if that is the "different" testing they refer to.

It might just be that they don't want you to go and get a rapid test somewhere, get a false positive, then have to wait and worry for up to two weeks before the WB results come back from the lab. They may be automatically testing with both ELISA and WB when testing at their own facility to spare participants from getting a false positive and having to wait.

I would appreciate it if you would come back and let us know what the coordinators tell you about this testing issue. Thank you in advance. And thank you for taking part in these important trials.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:28 am »
Kazoo,

Ironically, today someone posted about a new type of hiv test in the Research forum. (And please, do NOT post in that forum yourself.)

HIV-SELECTEST

HIV-SELECTEST is a serodiagnostic EIA, containing p6 and gp41 peptides, designed to differentiate between vaccine-induced antibodies and true infections. A Rapid Test version of the HIV SELECTEST was developed. Both assays detected HIV antibodies in men and women within 2-4 weeks of infection, with sensitivity similar to third generation EIAs.

Perhaps this is the "different" test the researchers mentioned. Again, this is something you'll need to ask the study coordinators. Let us know what they say.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kazoo

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 09:31:04 pm »
Thanks for your reply Ann. I will get in touch with my study coordinators on this and post what I found out. I'm not sure if the vaccine would result in false positives on the Western Blot. I believe they were most concerned about the ELISA, since it is so sensitive.

I'll also ask about this new HIV-SELECTEST. I've heard from other studies that participants have still tested false-positive 10 years after they were in a vaccine study. But, I would assume that each vaccine study is different.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 06:13:41 am »
Kazoo,

You're welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing what the coordinators say. Can you tell us where the trial is being conducted?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kazoo

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
Yes, it is in San Francisco.

I forgot to add that you are correct in that the study coordinators do not want volunteers to test elsewhere because of the anxiety and confidentiality/reporting issues associated with a positive HIV test, even if it is a false negative.

Also, taking an HIV test outside the study would unblind the volunteer (if I were to test false-positive, I would know I received the vaccine and not the placebo).

I should find out more on Monday. This new HIV-SELECTEST could certainly be a great help in vaccine trials. I was told that the risk of false-positives with current antibody testing is a major drawback for potential volunteers.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2009, 09:12:03 pm »
HIV-Selectest isn't all that new.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/5/2092

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:27 pm »
Thanks for the update, Kazoo. I have to admit I've always wondered how testing issues would go when vaccines make you produce antibodies. This has been an education, so thanks.

HIV-Selectest isn't all that new.

http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/80/5/2092

What's new is that it is now available as a rapid test.

HIV-SELECTEST

HIV-SELECTEST is a serodiagnostic EIA, containing p6 and gp41 peptides, designed to differentiate between vaccine-induced antibodies and true infections. A Rapid Test version of the HIV SELECTEST was developed. Both assays detected HIV antibodies in men and women within 2-4 weeks of infection, with sensitivity similar to third generation EIAs.

Ann
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:48:41 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.