Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:38:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 650
Total: 650

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am seeing black floaters...  (Read 5415 times)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
I am seeing black floaters...
« on: September 07, 2006, 03:54:30 pm »
I am seeing a little black floating speck out of my right eye...and after finding out yesterday I am on of the 80% of adults with a +ve CMV, I looked up on the net about CMV retinitis...

Okay...so call me a WW if you want to, but there is definately something there...it's really annoying...so, I forgot to mention this yesterday when I at the dr's office...so I will be calling in the morning...

Oh, well, what to do...what to do...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: I am seeing black floaters...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:30:11 pm »
Listen Jeromy,  CMV is nothing to mess with.  Blindness can follow in six weeks to three months, so please don't delay with this one. 

Now, I want to know what your CD4 is right now.  There is very little possibility that the floaters are caused by CMV if your CD4 is well above 200.  Blindness is out of the question at that level.  I have what is called the "Amsler Grid" taped to the inside of my medicine cabinet, and this is one thing you really need if you are already CMV+.  This will tell you if this is just a normal event, or otherwise.

I wouldn't panic just yet, but thankfully, you are doing the right thing in going to see a doctor tomorrow.  Please don't let this one wait for one second; blindness is one thing that most of us are not ready to accept as a side effect of HIV.  I have known far too many people that have suffered with this one, and it almost always was because they got lazy and didn't do anything proactive about it in the very beginning.  Others were in such bad shape with their immune systems that they couldn't fight off the very fast progression of the disease.

Please be careful, and take care of yourself sweetie.

In Love and Support.
(edited to correct a bad spelling)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 04:33:25 pm by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 04:38:01 pm »
Luckily my CD4 in July is 693...so who knows...I just want to have it checked out. It's been annoying me for about a month now...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 04:41:48 pm »
Gee, Jeromy, we are almost twins.  My CD4 in July was 692, but alas, yesterday the new reading came in at 499.  Oh well, guess we will have to wait a few months and see if it will be in the 700 range again, or if this is a permanent drop.

OH Well!
Lynn Lavne

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:44:50 pm »
Does this mean I am Danny Devito and you are Arnold Schwartznager???
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:47:23 pm »
Jeromy, you are way too strange, but really funny!
Lynn Lavne

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:53:06 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:25:10 pm »
Jeromy, take heed to Moffie's advice. He said it plain and clearly.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 10:31:03 pm »
here from the Mayo Clinic regarding floaters

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eye-floaters/AN00885

I get clear floaters...tiny little distortions that pass by sometimes. Must need the goo in my eyeballs filtered.

I saw brown floaters this morning, but that is a whole other story.

Jeff

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 01:31:27 am »
Floaters come to many and most, hiv or not. Just one of those getting older things. Mine come and go but can be ignored. I started seeing them back when I was still neg and just at 40 years old. I ask some people if it was something to worry about and they all said no. But I ask "gee, whats next with aging". No one ever warned me that your bod falls apart as you get older.
Some days my floaters are almost non noticable. So thats life I guess.
Yours night be gone tomorrow, and back next week, like mine.

Dont worry. And PUT A SHIRT ON, you're driving me horny...    ;D
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Christine

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 10:33:23 am »
Hi Jeromy,

I was diagnosed with cmv retinitis about three years ago. I had floaters, and it looked like I was looking through a dirty window. It can be treated.

But it progresses quickly. Have an opthamologist exam your eyes right away. Today right away...not in a few weeks.

That all being said, your cd 4's are really good, so I am guessing the floaters are just the benign, annoying floaters. But, better to be safe than sorry...so go to the Dr.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 10:47:17 am »
Hey Jeromy,
Since Moffie, et al, have already told ya to be checked, and you are doing it anyway, I'll just add that floaters seem to be a way of life for most folks as they age.

With a CD4 as high as yours, you are most likely not in any danger from CMV. I always qualify statements like that because someday, someone will prove me wrong.

As Christine pointed out, too many young people fail to faithfully see an ophthamologist regularly. For you, every couple years would be fine. But there are a lot of things that can happen to the eyes.

I go every year. My eyes are in tip-top shape, medically, even with the floaters. Now, if someone wants to adopt me and pay for Lasik . . . . but I digress.

I can see pretty well, well enough to see the reason all those young men are chasing you!  ;D

All I can say is, nice photo!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 11:30:10 am »
As many of you have pointed out...it is indeed a minor, benign annoyance...I had lasik a month ago, but I had the little bugger prior...so...I am not going blind from CMV...I will though from something else my mother warned me about!!

Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 01:39:15 am »
I dismissed my mothe ron that point, else I would have been blind long, long ago.

Can you describe these "floaters" at all? i experienced something that sounds similar when my CD4 was much lower, but to me it seemed more of a localized disturbance - like when they pixelate a face of someone testifying on the news - than it did a dark/black area. At first I thought it was just a small hair on the surface of my eyeball, refracting light in an unusual pattern. As I wear contacts for hours on end, I just doused my eye with some saline and remove the lens - but the distortion remaind. I've not had any relapses but being educated about this event never hurts. I also tested CMV+.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 10:12:28 am »
I get white floaters every so often. My friend with a similar prob was told it has to do with calcium loss. Any way talk to your doc. And at least you don't see dead people- then again you'd get a bad tv show!
Johnny
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 10:20:26 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.