Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:24:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773299
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 575
Total: 577

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I am going to become an alcoholic...  (Read 8180 times)

Offline blondbeauty

I am going to become an alcoholic...
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:58:09 pm »
My new pills for anxiety are a shit. I am feeling more drunk than with sustiva and I still have anxiety. Next time I will drink a bottle of red wine. It should work much better and it is good for cardiovascular health.
I want my Lexatiiiiiiin. I  :-* Roche Pharma. I  >:( Admirall Prodesfarma.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 06:59:47 pm by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline blondbeauty

Re: I am going to become an alcoholic...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:31:15 am »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:58:48 am »
What are you taking for anxiety?  Klonopin works best I think.  It has the longest half-life of any benzo so the ride is smooth on it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 02:22:15 pm »
I am taking Esertia (Escitalopram) from Almirall Prodesfarma. It is only one pill a day. The anxiety has gone but it has caused me headache, upset stomach, diarrea, I feel dizzy, drunk and sick. I am also very thirsty and it has changed my sense of taste. All that with one single pill of 10 mg. Much worse than my first days of HIV treatment. If you want the rest of the box (i still have 27 pills left) I can send them to you immediately by mail.
Tomorrow I must fly again. I will go back to the Dr. on Monday for a prescription for bromazepam. I prefer not to try anything new. Thank you, anyway, for your advice.
Here is a link to this awful drug:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a603005.html
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:25:15 pm by blondbeauty »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 05:29:02 pm »
Blond, can you say some more about what else is going on?

More pharmaceuticals are not always the answer by any means. What about getting some support from a therapist or other mental health professional? Any thoughts about that?

What's very clear is that you're stressed out. So talk to us. You can also PM me if you think that might be preferred and helpful.

Andy Velez

Offline koi1

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 09:20:42 pm »
Hi blondy,

I take half a milligram of ativan, and that has really helped me sleep. Klonopin is a very strong drug and I have known people who have gone nuts on it. So I personally would not recommmend it, especially if you drink. Someone chased me down the street with a knife after mixing Klonapin and alcohol, so think twice before going down that slippery slope, since it is linked to homocidal/suicidal behavior. Again, this is from personal experience and documented cases.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 10:16:15 pm »
I've used Klonopin for 7 years, NO PROBLEM.  In combination with behavioral therapy it is extremely effective for persistent anxiety problems.  There are abuse potentials with many things in life -- be responsible and make sure you are monitored by a psychiatrist.  They will not give out prescriptions for abnormal amounts of milligrams -- you'd have to actively doctor shop to do that.  Again, be responsible and it's a very good treatment.

Just because one person chased you down the street with a knife is no reason to slam a drug -- blame the person's behavior. 

ps:  you DO realize that Ativan is in the same class of drugs as Klonopin, don't you?  I have a problem with people who give Miss Cleo medical advice on the board.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:05:19 pm by philly267 »

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 10:18:25 pm »
I've used Klonopin for 7 years, NO PROBLEM.

Klonopin+booze= Me walking around in a stupor saying things like "Catnip bees on the political stereo!  Off to the state-run toilet farms!"

Xanax+booze= Me calling my friends in New York crying, "I don't know how to get home!  I don't know how to get home!" when I was two blocks from my house.

Nummy treats.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 10:20:13 pm by aupointillimite »
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 10:20:23 pm »
Only a moron combines benzo class medication with alcohol.  Ask Betty Ford.  It seems the notion of personal responsibility does not exist with many on the board.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 10:21:49 pm »
Only a moron combines benzo class medication with alcohol. 

Namely, me.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 10:36:04 pm »
The only thing that helps me sleep is Klonopin. Maybe I don't drink enough for the crazy.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 11:02:52 pm »
Just don't carry a knife!

Offline koi1

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2007, 09:41:40 am »
Gee,

It does not take a Miss. Cleo to predict that silly philly and Will and Mary will show up whenever anyone posts anything discouraging the drinking and the drug use. Iva hope was just posting what his doctor told him and there shows up leather daddy ready to whip him.

Not all of us have cockroach metabolisms like alpo brags about. And philly just cokes out and gets tanked twice a year, give the bloak a cookie or a whippin'.

Blond beaty drinks. Klono not a good idea! Case closed. But what do I know I am just a flame baiter like philly and his possey.

rob, Who has better things to do than be on the boards all day

Drawn 02/10/07

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2007, 11:00:17 am »
Leave it to you Rob, to not argue the facts but resort to name calling.  Ativan is in the same class as Klonopin.  Want to try and argue your way out of a paper bag for once?  Your deflection tactics are both disingenuous and transparent.

My statement about how a question is structured to a doctor is extremely relevant.  I've had doctors who are quite realistic with this issue, and certainly state that the OCCASIONAL glass of wine or pot smoking is not of any issue.

Of course, what's applicable to me with +700 cd'4s and someone with 119 is a different issue.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 12:02:57 pm »
Yes.  In my posts, I'm clearly showing the good aspects of mixing alcohol and benzodiazepine derivatives.

And how I'm lucky I didn't end up in the hospital due heart stoppage.  That was sweet.  So very sweet.

Offline koi1

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 12:15:25 am »
Hey, Philly,

That's 160 cd4s to you. :D

Sorry for the confuzeon. Hey if you can take pot shots at my meds...

P.S. my empathy for the shits, been there, not pretty.

LOL
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 12:54:03 am »
I wonder if there are not factors that even supercede the TCell count.

Like a history of anger management issues, or chemical depression. Or chemical abuse. Or other mental illness.

Anything that impacts the brain is going to have an impact on systems already functioning, whether they are functioning correctly or not.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 01:09:18 am »
160 then.  Congratulations are in order!

Jonathan, I swear I think a lot of it is simple genetics.  After all it's the immune system, and in a very Darwinian fashion some animals are better at staying healthy than others.  We're just being weeded out by a virus, but since we're humans we can fight back.

Personally I know someone who can snort coke like no tomorrow, be REALLY REALLY  bad at adhering to any HIV regimen, drink a sufficient amount, hold a REALLY stressful job and do this all for 15 years, and right now he's on a 2 year HIV medication "vacation" treatment interruption.  Someone please explain this to me.

Oh, he also goes twice a year to Ecuador to see a mystic in the mountains... I'm not kidding.  He's offered to fly the old man up to see me and treat me.  I declined but maybe I should reconsider all things considered.

Offline koi1

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 07:56:46 pm »
Thanks philly, it has been a struggle climbing up from the 70's. Hope to break 200 and become undetectable on my next visit to the docs. Yes, I am aware that ativan and klono are both benzos. I hate the shits. I started taking all my pills at night,sustiva, truvada, dapsone, ativan and  including the 8-10 lopermide/lomotil tablets. For some reason this has helped. Very strange. Ah the joys of regulating the bowels.

Cheers,

Rob
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 08:01:52 pm »
Hey Rob

Haven't seen you around in a while. Sorry to hear about the diahhrea issue. I really really hope it goes away soon or gets better. I also take all my meds at night and it has helped me cope with them better.

When are your next labs? I get my first lab result on meds in 2 weeks or so. I am sooo nervous, I hope they come out good.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline northernguy

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »
Klonopin+booze= Me walking around in a stupor saying things... Off to the state-run toilet farms!"

Hey, did you see Urinetown? :D

Philly thanks for the word about ativan (take it for flying) and alcohol.   I was wondering why last time I inexpicably missed half of the Harry Potter movie.  I was sitting beside the pilot's wife, and she was too polite to respond when I asked if I had been snoring too loudly :-[
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 08:27:39 pm »
Considering I obsess and worry about so many things, I never have done so with lab results.  I do not think about it the night before having it done, nor waiting for the results.  I just take my medicine and everything else is outside of my control.

I was like that when I tested for HIV.  Didn't even ponder that it could come back positive.  Ha!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
After so many years, and hundreds of blood draws and doctor visits, I Am a little immune to the stress regarding the numbers. I get the results, am fascinated, then sort of file it in the back of my head. Trends over time can concern me, but any single bit of lab work is just not worth my energy. I'm not being arrogant when I say that. I just don't have the energy to stress each time I get my labs done.

Welcome Thread

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 09:26:38 pm »
Pharmaceuticals for anxiety...its called buspirone in the uk and works for me. Without sounding too hippy dippy feverfew as a homeopathic remedy has worked but you'lll have to check with your doc coz I know certain things can react (st johns wort). Bachs rescue remedy NOT a good idea with meds...it was messy. Theres nothing wrong with a couple of glasses of wine unless you really have been told its harmful to you. A little of what you fancy and all that (although isn't that how we got here?). Hope it calms down soon for you x 8)
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 09:40:53 pm »
buspirone is not in the benzo family.  Interesting.

Klonopin is still manna.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 12:09:12 pm »
Thank you all for your help. Andy thank you for your advice. I have never been to a psychologist or a therapist but I am feeling very well again. I finally didn't become an alcoholic. I just had a beer two days ago when I was still suffering the drowsiness of "escitalopram". Something happened, maybe it was the pill, the beer or whatever... but the anxiety is gone.
I had not had any anxiety since staring meds, so I don't really know what has been going on for the last days. But I am sure is related to work. I feel fine till the night before having to work.
But as I have told you before I have been working really hard since Friday (I have a arrived home a few hours ago) with no signs or anxiety.
I hope it does not come back.
Thank you again for caring.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline koi1

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 12:20:18 pm »
Que bueno que ya te sientes mejor. Los ataques de panico son muy feos pero no se si sufriste de esto. Lo mejor es siempre tratar de solucionar los problemas sin mediicamentos cuando es posible.

rob
Drawn 02/10/07

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 05:20:53 am »
Gracias Rob!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 04:26:37 pm »
I just had a beer two days ago when I was still suffering the drowsiness of "escitalopram". Something happened, maybe it was the pill, the beer or whatever... but the anxiety is gone.

Doll you've learned what Matty the Damned and Laura "Pickles" Bush have known for years:

Pills + Booze == Internal Peace.

MtD

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 04:48:35 pm »
I just had a beer two days ago when I was still suffering the drowsiness of "escitalopram". Something happened, maybe it was the pill, the beer or whatever... but the anxiety is gone.

Doll you've learned what Matty the Damned and Laura "Pickles" Bush have known for years:

Pills + Booze == Internal Peace.

MtD

In the immortal words of Hank III.

Well, I've been awake for eight days straight:
Well, it must've been them pills I took.
I been twitchin' an' turnin' an' seein' visions:
It must've been them pills I took.

Well, I don't know if it were an' I don't know where I got 'em,
But they sure did make me feel good.
They kept my heart from feelin' blue,
An' kept my thoughts away from you.

Well, there's blood on the carpet an' holes in the walls:
Well, it must've been them pills I took.
Yeah, the mirrors are all busted an' someone's cryin':

I've lied an' I've stole an' I ain't fuckin' jokin':
Yeah, the mirrors are all busted an' someone's cryin':

I still don't know if it were an' I don't know where I got 'em,
But they sure did make me feel good.
They kept my heart from feelin' blue,
An' kept my thoughts away from you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.