Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:39:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 311
Total: 312

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: alternatives to Atripla suggestions  (Read 4310 times)

Offline mitch777

alternatives to Atripla suggestions
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »
I'm sure there is tons of info already posted here but I am sick with a cold and sinus infection and really can't think to clearly (probably due to 6 years on Atripla).
My ID doc is ok with the change but has gotten pretty poor with followup lately.
(that's another worry/ subject as i have always thought very highly of him during at least 16 of the past 18 years that he has been my doc)

more and more of my days are "zombie" days.
I am not looking forward to another set of side effects but something has got to give soon.

thanks for your recomendations.

tired and fuzzy.
M.

ps-Complera seems to not be an option in my mind from what i have read.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:34:19 pm by mitch777 »
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: alternatives to Atripla suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:35 pm »
I don't notice anything on Isentress, Truvada.
It seems quite neutral.

Also, for a year i take a daily dose of time-released Focalin - dexmethylphenidate - which sped me back up to what feels like "normal speed".

Also - chocolate, coffee, green tea, bitters, amaros, spicy foods, umani, umeboshi - all these can jolt my brain awake.

Also - pot. Though for many its a chill-out drug, it makes me considerably more alert.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:08:10 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:49:31 pm »

ps-Complera seems to not be an option in my mind from what i have read.

Curious why Complera would be a no (I dont like the restrictions against using antacid medications with it).

There are quite a few options available.  If your kidneys are good I would go with Stribild.  Otherwise Isentress/Truvada would be my choice, then Prezista.

Other option is to wait for Dolutegravir (which seems to be a great choice if you can waut)

You shouldnt have to deal with Atripla if its causing you problems.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:41 pm »
prezista, Issentress, Norvir I take has had no side-effects compared to the Atripla i was taking.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Newguy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:25:10 pm »
Hi Mitch

Sorry to hear about your experience about Atripla. My friend and I just started medications. Even though we have both suffered from depression and anxiety, neither of us have experienced any side effects with our regimens. I am on Truvada and Isentress and he is on Complera. We both feel amazing on these regimens. Although I get lower back pain sometimes and rare headaches, these side effects are tolerable. Remember one thing, when you hear horror stories about certain meds there are countless of people on them who have no problems. This reminds of a lesson in a marketing class. When people have a bad experience they are likely to tell ten people about it but when they have a good experience they tell far fewer people. So maybe you should try Complera and see how it works for you. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the riplivirine is a nano tech 2nd generation of the class Sustiva is in? Is this true? And the fact that there is only 25 mg of rilpivirine in complera and the rest is Truvada is pretty impressive. I think sustiva in Atripla is 600mg?

Whatever you decide good luck to your health and a great 2013!

Offline Matts

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:37:33 pm »
I'm quite happy with once-daily 150mg Celsentri,100mg Norvir and 600mg Prezista for 3 years. I skip it at the weekends; its not recommended but it works anyway.
Got a bit stomach, but I'm sure it's the Zyprexa - seems worse than any HIV Med.
Dovato

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 04:13:16 pm »
I love my reyataz/norvir/truvada taken daily with dinner.

the good news right now, mitch, is that there are all sorts of other combos you might use ;) Good luck getting the right one and changing off this one that is causing you issues.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »
thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!
my tummy is pretty sensitive so that is the major reason that i would try to avoid Complera from what i have read.

i know everyone reacts differently, so i don't want to discourage anyone from anything.

the combo choices seem to be a bit overwhelming with more on the horizon.

Atripla was good for me for awhile but i think the Sustiva part has taken a toll.

The good news is that i am starting to feel a bit better today as far as my sinus infection and cold are concerned.
Taking Amoxicilin. Ugh!
NOT fun on the tum tum but i will survive. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.