Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:21:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 441
Total: 441

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: STREET FIGHT  (Read 11110 times)

Offline PAULS

STREET FIGHT
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:58:10 pm »
Hello Everybody

My Name is Paul , I m from a very wired country , where till now have troubles between religious and political sects, called Lebanon , each party and as a part of our daily life  attack the area of the other party “ burn cars , destroy shops and hit people “.
So as protection to our area we try at night to stay ready for any attack.

Anyway my story , that one night a gang of 20 persons fully equipped attack us, we were 3 persons on the street with no arms , they have guns , automatic guns and knifes , thanxs God they did not use guns just knifes , so first they attack a guy known on the area to be a drug user and hit him I saw a lot of blood going out so I was so afraid and try to run away but as I told you they were 20 persons so they catch me and hit me on my stomach with the same bloody knife .

At this night My whole concern was to go to the hospital and to take my treatment It was a deep cut measuring around 3 inches , but now and after 1 month I start thinking with more details : what if the guy “the drug user” who took the first knife hit before me have HIV? because they hit me with the same knife seconds after him & I m sure the knife was bloody !! Knowing that since 10 months I did not have any sexual relation and my last HIV negative result was days before this accident .

I tried to search on the net , 98% of HIV sites say there is a risk , yours say no Risk because HIV is fragile and is not active outside body.

Please try to help me by telling me if I have a risk and if I have to make a test ? knowing that since this accident I m not feeling OK , I don’t know if a psychological issue or something related to HIV.

Thank You

Paul

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: STREET FIGHT
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 04:33:14 pm »
Paul, I do appreciate your concern and the upset involved in this incident you have related, as well as the tension and difficulties you must live with in Lebanon  these days.

However, I will tell that HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit. Despite hearing of many similar incidents through the years in all kinds of fights, accidents and such, I have never known of single case of HIV transmission to take place in such a manner. Not one! And believe me between accidents, fights, barber razor and scissor cuts and many other stories, we have heard many. HIV does not remain viable outside the body for long.

As far as I am concerned you are worrying needlessly and I don't see any real need for testing over this incident.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:42:09 pm »
Dear Andy

So i have to rest my mind ?? i have no risk ??
but what about this matter of sharp things in your lessons?

Paul

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 04:48:14 pm »
Theoretically anytime you have sex or are out in the world there is risk. But we know from experience that HIV transmission happens in very specific ways. And the incident you have described is not one of them.

I don't see any need for testing. However, if you are going to continue to worry about this incident, then get tested, collect the inevitable negative result and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 04:55:26 pm »
Dear Andy

I really appreciate your replies , thanxs for calming my mind and wish u you all the best.

Your Friend

Paul

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:32:11 pm »
You're welcome. I'm glad you found the exchanges to be helpful, Paul.
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 03:58:01 pm »
Dear All

I m trying to not be over-ambitious but during my searches specially on the CDC website they are saying that some cases were infected due similar incident as mine & at same time they are saying no infection due to contact with environmental surface.
Please give me an explanation for this contradiction specially that Andy rarely ask a person to make a test to calm his mind.

P.S : I have something like Kaposi's sarcoma on my skin , I visited a dermatologue he said that something related to stress but I did not tell him about my incident , I m not sure if I made a mistake buy not saying that !!

Paul

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:38 pm »
PAULS,

You need to reread what Andy told you:

However, I will tell that HIV is a fragile virus and not easy to transmit. Despite hearing of many similar incidents through the years in all kinds of fights, accidents and such, I have never known of single case of HIV transmission to take place in such a manner. Not one! And believe me between accidents, fights, barber razor and scissor cuts and many other stories, we have heard many. HIV does not remain viable outside the body for long.

As far as I am concerned you are worrying needlessly and I don't see any real need for testing over this incident.

Theoretically anytime you have sex or are out in the world there is risk. But we know from experience that HIV transmission happens in very specific ways. And the incident you have described is not one of them.

I don't see any need for testing. However, if you are going to continue to worry about this incident, then get tested, collect the inevitable negative result and get on with your life.  

If the only way for you to get peace of mind is to test, then do so......but Andy has given you the best counsel based on the facts about HIV transmission....

Best.. :)
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »
That's right, I told  you to test only if you needed that for your peace of mind. Not because you had any real risk.

It's not my place nor an assignment I will accept to explain the contradictions in what the CDC or any other source you may find on the next may be giving out. I know we have given you accurate information about your incident. The suggestion for you to test was only for peace of mind and not because I see any risk in your incident.

Just because you may continue to have fearful thoughts doesn't alter the facts of the situation. And for you to be (mis)diagnosing or playing with the idea that you have KS, is frankly ridiculous. Your doctor didn't miss identifying it as such because you didn't tell him everything. He didn't call it KS because it isn't KS. Stop playing doctor with yourself, all to no good purpose.

You are still worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 02:40:38 am »
Dears

So why people are always afraid from blood to blood  contact?is it for the theorical risk or for any documented case ?

So based on your reply : I don’t need any test & I can make a sexual relation with my girl friend if she have a negative test ?

Paul

Offline PAULS

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:50:48 pm »
Any REPLY Please !!:(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 04:17:34 pm »
Paul, we don't have any different to tell you about your incident. You can believe us or not. I've never known of a documented case of transmission in the manner you're concerned about. And we're not responsible for what you read or hear elsewhere. We simply tell you what we know which is science-based.

The only time you can safely dispense with using condoms is when both partners agree to be in a securely monogamous relationship and both partners test negative at a reliable point. Otherwise you should be using a condom everytime you have either vaginal or anal intercourse. No exceptions.

As far as your testing in general, I don't see it as being necessary. But if you and your gf decide to give up using condoms I would suggest testing for both just to be absolutely sure.

Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 04:33:11 pm »
Dear Andy

But i told you i had my negative HIV test days before this incident !

Paul

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »
Then you two are OK to dispense with condoms IF you are absolutely certain that she hasn't had any risky incidents since her result AND you are both committed to a securely monogamous relationship.
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 12:59:45 am »
thanxs

Offline PAULS

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 12:04:41 pm »
Dears

Yes I know seems that I m an embarrassing person , excuse me again :
So why people  always have fears from this issues of dentist , hairdresser , blood to blood contact due to injuries ,tattoos ,piercing etc etc ?

Is it due to Theorical Risk and  based on old 80s studies or it s due to any documented cases ?

Paul

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 12:33:30 pm »
Pauls,

People have these unfounded worries about hiv transmission for several reasons. One, they're not educated on hiv transmission. Two, there is so much stigma surrounding this virus that common sense and facts go out the window in favour of panic and fearful feelings. There are some people who still believe the myth that one can become infected just by shaking the hand of a positive person. Just because someone believes a myth doesn't make it true.

Hiv is mainly spread through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Use condom correctly and consistently when having intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. Please read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line if you haven't already.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline PAULS

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 08:44:06 am »
Dears

Doc Bob Frascino on " the body " say that only dry blood = non active HIV virus , but my incident was with fresh fresh fresh Blood !!!

please clarify this issue :(

Paul

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 08:54:17 am »
Paul,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus. Nobody has ever been infected through a street fight and you won't be the first.

If you've read the posting guidelines found in our Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us, then go test and collect your negative result. However, you will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about your no risk situation. Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 09:29:44 am »
And just as a ps to Ann's remarks, we're not here to respond or refute what you read on other sites. As long as you continue to indulge your fears and search the net, you are for sure going to find lots of material that will play into those fears. All to no good purpose. So you can believe what we tell you or not. We've given you the real deal. What you do with that information is up to you.

As Ann said, you can't keep coming back here with more of the same and you've been warned.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:39:19 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline PAULS

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 10:11:36 am »
Sorry !

Offline PAULS

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 01:03:25 pm »
Dears

All your answer was based on the fact that I got the knife maybe after 3 or 4 seconds after the other guy “ the drug user “ got it, enough time to let the hiv die outside the body , but what if the man who hit me with the knife cut his hand accidently just less the one second before beating me ?

P.S : please don't give me a timeout and if you will , just answer on my qst!

Paul

Offline PAULS

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 01:05:33 pm »
but what if the man who hit me with the knife cut his hand accidently just less the one second before beating me ?

because i saw lot of blood on his hands :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 01:12:51 pm »
You've received your Warning. Don't push your luck.

Offline PAULS

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »
please last answer based on this new fact " maybe he cut accidently his find " just one second or during hitting me !

Offline PAULS

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 01:20:18 pm »
HAND *

Offline PAULS

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 01:45:22 am »
any reply please :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 06:21:27 am »
Paul,

You weren't at risk, no matter how many details you can think of to scare yourself with.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.