Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:25:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 529
Total: 531

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Did it!  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Did it!
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:13:23 am »
Disclosed to everyone that was at the meeting Wednesday night, I mean.

For people that haven't been following me, I go to a youth group on Wednesday nights for gay/bi/trans kids. It's been like a month and 1/2 and I've gotten pretty close to a good handful of the people that regularly go. And I get along great with like 98 percent of the coordinators that have to attend the meetings. So, we're all pretty much cool!

Anyway, for a bit I was deciding whether or not to disclose to the group and I finally decided I'd like to. So I talked to a coordinator first and in turn she (with my permission) talked to some of the other regular coordinators and stuff. And last night (which was actually a larger group than normal, we've been having like six or seven kids and last night we had eleven) I brought it up - as casually as possible. We sort of go around the room first thing and say our name and how our week went, so I went last so I wouldn't like. Let the unavoidable shock shadow over someone else's chance to talk. Basically just said some stuff about my week and it was really an 'oh by the way' sort of thing, the way I said it, but I wasn't sure how else to do it. I didn't want it to be dramatic or all doomish. Like on TV when something happens and it's like DUN DUN DUNNNNN. Wanted to avoid that. Haha.

So since the two coordinators that were there already knew they sort of were able to direct the conversation into like a more like general topic about HIV instead of focusing all these personal questions on me. But they still did. I got a lot of bad questions: "HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE?" "How did you get it?" "Why didn't you just use protection?" To kind of cool questions like who important in my life knows, if I tell people I'm with, etc. Which were less rude and stuff. But anyway, they did go into a lot about how to prevent it and reminded everyone that I'm not going to plague everyone in the room or anything. It was VERY awkward, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be because people didn't have as much to say about it as I thought they would.

A couple people told me they thought I was mature and brave for being able to talk about it and that they appreciated me and are glad I'm in the group! And I felt definite unsure/awkward vibes from some people like they weren't sure what to say to me or how to act around me or whatever.

The thing is, I don't want people to have to feel bad about it. That's not why I said anything. I tried to explain that I was opening up about it so that they could understand me better and so that I felt more comfortable with them but I still got a bunch of "sorry"s and one really loud "that SUCKS!".

There is only one particular person currently that I'm worried about like losing as a friend or even an aquaintance but it's not really important right now. Haha. Maybe more on that some other time.

Generally, it could have maybe gone a bit better, but it DEFINITELY could have been worse. So that's a good thing!

Afterwards we went to the gym (yes, they have a gym in a church, wtf - you know, with basketball hoops and stuff) and attacked each other with Nerf balls and stuff. Fun! O.O;.

Offline emeraldize

Re: Did it!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:55:30 am »
Mouse,

I hope you feel terrific. I read your previous post about wanting to share with this group. Excellent, excellent.

Em
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:20:48 pm by emeraldize »

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 01:19:18 am »
Jaser, I really can't say this enough times: You are an amazing kid!

I've taken a quote from my own latest thread about my view towards disclosure nowadays; maybe it will help you with future disclosures (not that you need much help, to be honest, you're doing just fine!): 

"I’m really past caring what people think...it is no longer about who I can trust, but rather it is about separating the people I want in my life from those I don’t, based on their reactions. Simple as that really."

In the end how we cope with life issues comes down to our own personal perspective on everything.
It really is as simple as that.

I am at this moment cyber patting you on the back. So proud of you!

BIG HUGS

Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:17:31 am »
You did it is right!  You set yourself to do something.  To open yourself up.  To take a chance and you climbed that mountain!

------ 

Sometimes it is so scary to disclose, and then one can wait in fear of rejection, that one forgets the real STRENGTH we all must have for this. 

------

We have to be patient and tolerant of the ignorance and even stupidity, but we can also believe in the good of others.

------

I gave my students this example of a premise- “Young” is a documentary exploring the stigma and challenges faced by different teenagers who happen to be HIV positive.  They are all Freshman and Sophomores.  I hope it makes them start to think...

------

Three cheers for the might of MOUSE!

Drew

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 02:36:39 am »
Well done, Squeakie-boi. I'm very proud of you. :-*

MtD

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 04:16:51 am »
well done jaser, that is indeed something to be proud of.

kate

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 08:12:09 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:08:37 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:52:37 am »
Jaser, I think thats the coolest thing, in awe and admiration. :)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 09:09:43 am »
Jaser,

I got news for ya buddy, this event will be the first day of the rest of your life.  You may not understand today, what an important step this was for you to make, but I guarantee,..... no, promise, that way into your future life, you will look back on this step as one of the most important steps you have ever made.

Kudos for you bud, and please don't obsess about those who have problems with YOUR situation.  Accepting their bad energy into your life can gain you nothing but a big fat headache.  They have to deal with their own negative issues, and you don't even enter into that picture.

IN Total Love and Support.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Christine

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:44 am »
Jaser,
I admire you! You are very brave, and courageous. Big hugs going out to you!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 12:29:25 pm »
Jaser!! I am so proud of you! It took a lot of courage to do what you did and it just goes to show you what kind of an adult you will be!! Kudos to you my boy...kudos to you!!

Big HUGS!!!

Much Love!
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline Tim

• Joined May, 2002
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 05:46:45 pm »
Jase,

I'm sorry that I'm a bit late to come to the table, but I too want to extend my congratulations to you on your undertaking, and succeeding, in this venture.  You've really got some cajones there, little man.  I'm so very proud of you.
Tim S., not to be confused with Tim Horn

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 06:00:54 pm »
I am proud of you!  I know how you feel.  I did that infront of my church 2 weeks after I found out.  So I know the amount of inner strength it takes to pull that off.  Don't ever loose that inner strength and again I am super proud of you!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 08:20:30 pm »
Jaser,

I can't tell you how proud I am for you!!  You are an awesome person, and I hope you continue to be so.  I tell you one thing,  you are much braver than I am!!

Way to go!!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 09:51:44 pm »
Yay Jaser!  I am so proud of you honey!  You never know, the words you spoke may have made a profound difference in someone's life (a wake up call for them to be safe maybe?).

You are an amazing young man, wise beyond your years.

many hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:29 pm »
Nice job Jaser... YOU got bigger balls than me my friend!  You are wise beyond your years and give hope to old farts!  Even tho im only 33!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 10:45:00 pm »
Jaser,
Wow! I am so damn proud of you I could just burst!

Kudos to you, young man. This was an imporant moment in your life and you handled it like someone twice your age - or even as old as me!

Great going youngun. You Rock!!!  ;D

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 01:15:00 am »
Good on ya, Jaser. I can only imagine what things you might tackle in your future! maybe you should run for office ... kidding ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.