Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 525
Total: 525

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gates push to speed up HIV vaccine work.  (Read 11935 times)

Offline ScienceGuy25

Gates push to speed up HIV vaccine work.
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:05 pm »
More money and a big name is always good.

http://uk.oneworld.net/article/view/136690/1/5795

Offline J220

Re: Gates push to speed up HIV vaccine work.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:52:58 pm »
I  am not clear, are these research paths for a preventive vaccine only, or do they also include a theraputic vaccine? I read them over briefly but since medicine is not my specifc field of expertise I am not sure if the things they were talking about were for preventive or therepeutic use.

Still, this is very encouraging, not only from the funding standpoint, but from the collaborative approach. Fingers crossed! J.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 08:57:43 pm »
Well J 

I don't want to get myself in trouble here so let me preclude this statement by saying i only have a very limited knowledge of the Gates foundation's donation.

I believe that what the foundation is attempting to do is create a good collaborative effort between many leading scientists in the field.  Rather than small groups working against each other and possibly wasting time and money, they will fund many groups to work together, freely share information and hopefully speed progress toward vaccine development.

Again don't quote me, but I think the intent here is to develop capable of neutralizing the virus.  Whether or not this vaccine will work in people who are already infected is all dependent on the specific design of the vaccine.  IE) is it simply preventing HIV from getting into cells or is it able to elicit a strong humoral and cellular response to the virus and viral infected cells such that the body would be capable of clearing the infection. 

In any case I think its a step in the right direction and should bring about useful new information!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 10:23:44 pm »
That is the correct way to discuss something where you are providing an informed best guess. I appreciate you doing that.

Thank you.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 03:14:56 am »
My field of expertise: "I appreciate your doing that." Gerund, almost always, requires the possessive. It's certainly my preference, though of course there are instances when insisting on the rule does violence to the language.  ::) Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 08:52:21 am »
whatever
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 01:25:06 pm »
LoL - no problem HIV worker - as i said i'm generally careful in that regard.

Lydgate we appreciate your expertise.  As I'm sure you can tell from many of the posts while some of us know a good deal about science our grammar could certainly use some improvements.  I think it gets to be especially horrendous in these forums.

You can be my scientific editor any time..keep up the good work ;)

Offline dario

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 03:56:19 pm »
dear folks,

do you think it is more useful to spend money researching about new drugs rather than vaccines?

D
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 05:03:59 pm »
I think it is important to do both. There is an immediate need for new drugs to combat resistance and simplify therapy (and decrease side effects) and there is a need for a vaccine to help prevent the spread of the disease. A Vaccine is more viable than new drugs for the third world as prevention over treatment has had precedent for working in the past for other diseases in those areas (except malaria).

The supply routes and infrastructure to provide current therapy in the third world has proved to be a bigger challenge and is more of an obstacle than over-priced drugs. However, vaccination programs would not take as much to implement right now. Only problem is that it has to work against as many HIV strains as possible. Lower than 50% would be dangerous as it would allow people to believe they were immune but were not. However, it might help build the infrastructure that is currently missing in those areas and help improve medical health for diseases other than HIV too.

So I vote both.

R

Edited to remove spelling errors and typos  ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 05:11:28 pm by HIVworker »

Offline ScienceGuy25

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 10:13:00 pm »
I second HIV Worker's post regarding drugs versus vaccine.  The only thing I would add is that we should remember the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  That is, any sort of basic science research aimed at developing a drug or vaccine could and often does end up being important information, that maybe be useful in furthering the development of both vaccines and drugs.

Offline J220

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:12:44 pm »
That's the hope I suppose, in regards to the Enterprise's search for a preventive vaccine, that whatever they find will both clear and prevent infection. There is no question, however, that this new collaborative approach should yield interesting results.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.