Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 220
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Meds and alcohol  (Read 13137 times)

Offline Joel90069

• "Another turning point a fork stuck in the road."
Meds and alcohol
« on: July 02, 2006, 06:00:55 pm »
I recently switched from Truvada/ Sustiva to Viramune. I was having bad side effects, particularly trouble concetrating on Sustiva. My first few days on Viramune were fine. I noticed an almost immediate clearing of my fogginess. Friday night I went to dinner with friends. I had a glass of wine and a beer. By Saturday morning I was a basket case. I had an intense depression that was unusual for me. I even started to cry when I went to the store and realized I'd left my cell phone at home; pretty odd behavior! It lasted all day. I was a lunatic! Today I'm fine again. Has anyone noticed a relationship between alcohol, meds and side effects? Or maybe it had nothing to do with alcohol?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Meds and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 06:19:47 pm »
Hello Joel,

I quit drinking back in 1999. The only time I will have a drink, is around the holidays, and my birthday. I also, get completely wiped out even drinking small amounts, so, I have pretty much ruled out drinking.I don't miss is ! I am also on Viramune....

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 01:19:28 am »
I also, get completely wiped out even drinking small amounts, so, I have pretty much ruled out drinking.

2 months ago I had *half* a beer which made me feel drunk

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 06:24:02 am »
Well, i don't drink on a regular basis. Not even a glass of wine along with my meals (it's usual in my country). But I didn't give up drinking... i sometimes have one or two "stoli and tonic" or a beer.
I'm on Sustiva and Truvada, which doesn't affect the liver or is affected by alcohol... but i read somewhere that this isn't the case for Viramune (hope I'm not saying something wrong)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:28:35 am »
I'm on Sustiva and Truvada, which doesn't affect the liver or is affected by alcohol... but i read somewhere that this isn't the case for Viramune (hope I'm not saying something wrong)

Hello Tugaman,

Actually, (not to alarm you, but to inform you ) several of the HIV medications, can have harmful effects on the liver, Sustiva can be one of them.

Here is a link to give you some info :

http://www.thebody.com/cria/summer02/liver_toxicity.html#nonnukes

And from this site:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/Hepatotoxicity1.htm

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 01:05:36 pm »
Thank you Ray,

Actually, my liver enzymes are normal. I drink very seldom and don't even get drunk. Sorry about saying this it isn't harmful for the liver.... i wasn't sure and i should refrain from saying "medical" stuff without being sure...

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 03:20:30 pm »
as you know i just switched and dropped sustiva for viramune.   I drink... ermmm... alot.

After switching I had less a desire to drink initially, because i was finally feeling tired enough to sleep instead of the insomnia i usually have. 

Over the weekend I did have some wine :) and had a much more peculiar reaction of being more emotional and 'pained/stressed' and sadness (much more than normal).

Now, i have had drinks other times since starting viramune and have not had the effect like this.

For now, I chalk it up to some weird brain chemistry of withdrawal from sustiva... hell, if it was giving us side effects when we were on it, it's likely to have some side effects weaning off it.   

I don't relate that episode to the viramune at all (though it may be, but that's not my perception).   I think it's just residual sustiva which can take up to 3 weeks to cleanse your system of.

Kinda like an acid flashback.   

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 03:35:54 pm »
Hi Joel.....My name is Joel as well.  I just wanted to say that my partner who has had to stop drinking entirely due to liver problems (lipodystrophy)  can still drink a NON-ALCHOLIC BEER without any problems at all. When he drinks something alchoholic....he develops a fever and sweats....and is very uncomfortable.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Joel90069

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 05:14:41 pm »
Mine seemed to be more depression and mood. I'm usually really good with stress but my tolerance for challenges have been unusually low. The other odd thing is I never had any of the odd or vivid dreams everyone talks about while taking Sustiva. Since switching to Viramune I started having them. Nothing disturbing but very vivid. Dingboi, you're right, though there is probably still Sustiva still in our systems. For the meantime I'm staying away from alcohol.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 07:00:29 pm »
In the interest of science, I will drink a bottle of wine tonight and report my findings in the morning :P

Offline Joel90069

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2006, 07:20:32 pm »
Excellent... I was planning on mainlining some heroin. We can compare notes.

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2006, 07:25:42 pm »
I don't relate that episode to the viramune at all (though it may be, but that's not my perception).   I think it's just residual sustiva which can take up to 3 weeks to cleanse your system of.

I know the side effects of certain medication with alcohol may differ greatly from one person to another. Viramune is part of my regimen and never had any problems when mixing with alcohol. I'm not a heavy drinker but it happened a few times I had several drinks before a dinner and a bottle of wine while eating( actually taking my viramune with some vino ) and never had any problems whatsoever. When Kaletra was part of my regimen with Viramune I was getting drunk quite fast ( a few beers were sometimes enough ), and when switching to Reyataz/Norvir ( and Viramune still part of my regimen ), it seems to make a reverse effect ( takes more alcohol before feeling drunk ). It doesn't affect my sleep or emotion ( feeling sad and depressed ) either.

The Canuck

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2006, 07:54:02 pm »
Dingboi, you're right, though there is probably still Sustiva still in our systems. For the meantime I'm staying away from alcohol.

an important distinction is that each drug can affect everyone differently, though there may some more common 'effects'. 

I tend to be a heavier drinker  ::) of wine mostly.  Drinking the same on sustiva didn't bother me at first, then the effects grew.  Switching to viramune, drinking the same had almost no effects at all except that one incident (which i still attribute to withdrawal effects)  is withdrawal effects possible from sustiva?

Offline Joel90069

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 11:52:23 pm »
I think it's more likely that there was still some Sustiva left in your system then you were going through withdrawal... but then again, what do I know?  :)

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 02:37:42 am »
does anybody know anything about any potential withdrawal efects?  are they possible with haart?

Offline Joel90069

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 09:05:57 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.