Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 199
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can Magnetic Relationships really work?  (Read 4722 times)

Offline wow1969

Can Magnetic Relationships really work?
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »
I'll keep this short.

He's negative and I'm positive. Been together three years.

I have never had health related issues due to HIV and I'm still drug free. I would like to believe that my health will hold forever, but it probably won't.

What happens when I get sick? He's never really dealt with sick people, hell neither have I. What happens when I get sick and he starts to get a realistic look at dealing with HIV and the possiblity of my dying.

Am I just fooling myself that this can work? How does it work? We've talked about it, but the reality is so different from the conversation.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Can Magnetic Relationships really work?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:04 pm »
If you monitor your health and have access to health care and the proper medications and get treatment before your immune system is too worn out, there's no reason to believe you will be "getting sick" any more than anyone else, whether negative or positive.

There are many magnetic relationships. I have a friend who has had HIV since 1986 and he has been in a very solid relationship for the last 10 years with someone who is negative. They are both doing great.

Yes you might get sick but so might anybody. There are no real guarantees.

There is something to be said for starting treatment when a poz person is in a magnetic relationship (even if numbers are good) since being undetectable even further reduces chances of transmission, say with oral sex (esp. if swallowing) or if a condom were to break.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:03:51 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »
What happens when I get sick?
for those people that promise at the alter or town hall "in sickness and in health",
approx 75% divorce over a chronic/severe illness
so I guess, you falls in love, you take your chances. ;)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/men-more-likely-to-leave-spouse-with-cancer/
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122527377/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/marriage/facing_crisis/chronic_illness.aspx

there's no predicting the future, so my advice is to not worry about something like this until it looks like it's about to happen and then communicate, communicate, communicate with your partner. I was in what we thought was a sero-discordant relationship for 10 yrs where we worried about my health so much that we ignored his - and he died! So you don't know what'll happen in the future; but since no one in your relationship is dealing with serious health issues yet, don't worry about it needlessly. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »

If that's the case you may want to ask yourself what you would do if he got sick and/or died.  It's best to deal with things that will one day happen.... when they happen. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:03 pm »
The answer you're more than likely to get from everyone is yes. I can say from experience (as the negative part of a three year relation back in1994 and a the poz part of a short-lived one in 2009) they do work. It's what YOU make of it.

You have to keep in mind that HIV does not have to be, and more than likely will not be, what shortens our time in eden.  As the cliche says anyone can get hit by a in bus.

Just stay safe(r) and all will be fine.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:37 am »
I know I've heard about relationships breaking up when a partner gets sick--from HIV, cancer, or whatever.  I guess it depends on the character of your partner.  In sickness and health, right?  I think the big thing I'm trying to avoid is allowing my HIV to dominate everything.  

I've read where the negative or "unsick" partner often feels neglected--whether HIV or cancer.  I'm trying to remember that and not let HIV run things.  That is hard when everything is about me right now.  I hope once I come to terms with HIV, it won't be something I even talk about that often.  Right now, my partner arranges his schedule to go to doctor appts.  He says he wants to go and doesn't mind it.  The other thing is getting control of my fears and depression.  We use to go to the lake every weekend.  Last summer, the jet skis never came out of the garage.  We really didn't go anywhere.  We did go to Florida for the holidays and plan to go back in April.  I'm trying to get back to normal, so HIV doesn't run the show.  I've also made a point of talking about his health issues.  He has bad migraines--something he's had for years.

With meds, you shouldn't have to worry about getting sick.  I think the problem comes when someone is terminally ill.  It becomes so hard on the partner who isn't sick.  I know my friend's mom just lost her husband.  He had really bad diabetes and lost his legs.  While she is very sad about losing him, I could tell she felt relief that she didn't have to deal with that hell anymore.  If someone jets at the first sign of an illness, I have little respect for them.  I have compassion for someone who has had to deal with a long-term ill partner.  Again, if we monitor our health and take meds, we shouldn't have to deal with that.  Everyone keeps telling me that anyway.  

One last thing-- We have to remember that the number one reason for bankruptcy are medical bills.  I think when people break up over an illness, it may be more complicated.  There are probably lots of medical debt (why we need universal healthcare).  The friend's mom I mentioned lost her home and had to move from a beautiful home to a dump.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:22:20 am by tednlou2 »

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:01:43 am »
I'm not a fan of serodiscoradant relationships myself, though I've heard that they work (anecdotally). I'd neither encourage nor discourage such things in theory (love wins all, after all) though I'm hardly a booster.

Serosorting is the obvious answer when all's said and done.
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 05:04:46 am »
As I haven't gotten back into the relationship game since being diagnosed I can't really discuss the real world logistics of this.  It just seems easier now to look for poz guys.  Remove the doubt, rejection, potential lack of support from the equation at the beginning instead of it potentially manifesting later on.  With that said if I met someone who was negative and I liked him and he was okay with my status I wouldn't turn him down because he was negative.  I do however have a strong fear of infecting someone else, and if that ever happened I'm pretty sure the guilt would destroy me let alone any potential relationship.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:45:55 am »
I was in a serodiscordant relationship and there was never an issue with my HIV, at least from a physical aspect.  He'd dated other HIV+ guys previously so he didn't bat an eye when I told him.  He was also casual with it -- never pestered me about how my cd4 counts were, etc. but if I talked about it he was supportive and listened, etc.  It wasn't the focus of our deep and abiding love.  We focused more on shopping and going to the gym... and lots of clubbing.  Great dancer!

However, when I began to see a shrink things got dicey because he was convinced that I sat there in my sessions ragging on him, which I did a bit because we were having a rough patch.  But mostly I was discussing things that had nothing to do with him.  Anyway, it became a sore spot so finally I broke things off with him.  He said I was the first guy that ever dumped him, but whatever.  My mental health was more important at that time, plus I'd started to have health issues (wasting) though that didn't bother him from a sexual aspect or so he said.  I was much more gym-bod when we met so I'm sure the change to being a skinny rake wasn't that appealing in bed, but I eventually gained the weight back via testosterone, which in fact made me even more horny than I normally am so in that regards he thought it was a win-win as he liked to have sex constantly, though I had to draw the line with fisting which is what he ALWAYS wanted to do.

We remained friends for several years, but didn't have sex ever when we got together.  Then we had one messy fight and he hung the phone up on me and I've never talked with him again.  Sadly I still think about him often because he's the one man I've loved more than any other person in the world.   Well, that sucks doesn't it?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:03:13 am »
Fear, and understandably so.

Why wasting precious time now worrying, for something that is/will/most likely happen much later on down the line. You can get hit by a bus.

Focus your energy on today's fact and the main reasons why, you guys got together in the first place and keep talking. There is help for that as well.

When facing difficult times, you both will be in a better position to deal with it, one way or another.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.