Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:56:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 661
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Broad Spectrum Anti-Viral Compound and Innate Immunity  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
Broad Spectrum Anti-Viral Compound and Innate Immunity
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »
Some time ago I started a thread that explained our innate immune response, how it differed from our adaptive immune responses (think antibodies and cell mediated immunity) and how HIV circumvents one of our first lines of defense against pathogens and aberrant host cells. The new paper, on top of the references, describes a new compound that has profound effects against all dsRNA viruses tested-and some nasty ones at that and includes HEPC. Although not tested against HIV which is a ssRNA, this generalized approach should be applicable to it and other single stranded RNA viruses as well.

I've included an article from GIZMAG for a general overview as well as the research article it references. Also include are some relevant abstracts/links from PubMed on the general principals involved and background reading.

http://hsnewsbeat.uw.edu/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/documents/J.%20Virol.-2015.pdf

JVI Accepted Manuscript Posted Online 16 December 2015
J. Virol. doi:10.1128/JVI.02202-15
Copyright © 2015, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.

Targeting innate immunity for antiviral therapy through small molecule agonists of the
RLR pathway

Sowmya Pattabhi, Courtney R. Wilkins, 3, Ran Dong2, Megan L. Knoll2, 3, Jeffrey
6 Posakony4, Shari Kaiser4, Chad E. Mire5, Myra L. Wang4, Renee C. Ireton2, 3, Thomas
7 W. Geisbert5, Kristin M. Bedard4, Shawn P. Iadonato3, 4, Yueh-Ming Loo2, 3#,
 Michael Gale Jr.1, 2, 3#.

Departments of Global Health1 and Immunology2, and the Center for Innate Immunity
 and Immune Disease3, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA;
 KINETA Inc., Seattle, Washington, USA4; University of Texas Medical Branch at
 Galveston, Galveston National Laboratory, Galveston, Texas, USA5

Running Head: RIG-I agonists as broad-spectrum antivirals.
 #Address correspondence to Michael Gale Jr., mgale@uw.edu and Yueh-Ming Loo,
 looy@uw.edu

Abstract
 The cellular response to virus infection is initiated when pathogen recognition
 receptors (PRR) engage viral pathogen associated molecular patterns (PAMPs). This
 process results in induction of downstream signaling pathways that activate the
 transcription factor IRF3. IRF3 plays a critical role in antiviral immunity to drive the
 expression of innate immune response genes, including those encoding antiviral
 factors, type 1 interferon, and immune modulatory cytokines that act in concert to
 restrict virus replication. Thus, small molecule agonists that can promote IRF3 activation
 and induce innate immune gene expression could serve as antivirals to induce tissue-
 wide innate immunity for effective control of virus infection. We identified small molecule
 compounds that activate IRF3 to differentially induce discrete subsets of antiviral genes.
 We tested a lead compound and derivatives for the ability to suppress infection by a
 broad range of RNA viruses. Compound administration significantly decreased the viral
 RNA load in cultured cells that were infected with the family Flaviviridae, including West
 Nile virus, dengue virus and hepatitis C virus as well as viruses of the families
 Filoviridae (Ebola virus), Orthomyxoviridae (influenza A virus), Arenaviridae (Lassa
 virus) and Paramyxoviridae (respiratory syncytial virus, Nipah virus) to suppress
 infectious virus production. Knockdown studies mapped this response to the RIG-I-like
 receptor pathway. This work identifies a novel class of host-directed immune
 modulatory molecules that activate IRF3 to promote host antiviral responses to broadly suppress infection by RNA viruses of distinct genera.

http://www.nature.com/icb/journal/v85/n6/full/7100100a.html

Toll-like receptors, RIG-I-like RNA helicases and the antiviral innate immune response

Alex J V Thompson1,2 and Stephen A Locarnini1

1Department of Molecular Research and Development, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2Department of Gastroenterology, St Vincent's Hospital, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Correspondence: Dr AJV Thompson, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory, 10 Wreckyn St.North Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia. E-mail: alexander.thompson@svhm.org.au

Received 9 June 2007; Accepted 14 June 2007; Published online 31 July 2007.

Abstract
The antiviral innate immune response follows the detection of viral components by host pattern recognition receptors (PRRs). Two families of PRRs have emerged as key sensors of viral infection: Toll-like receptors (TLRs) and retinoic acid inducible gene-I like RNA helicases (RLHs). TLRs patrol the extracellular and endosomal compartments; signalling results in a type-1 interferon response and/or the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines. In contrast, RLHs survey the cytoplasm for the presence of viral double-stranded RNA. In the face of such host defence, viruses have developed strategies to evade TLR/RLH signalling. Such host–virus interactions provide the opportunity for manipulation of PRR signalling as a novel therapeutic approach.

http://www.gizmag.com/compound-immune-response-rna-viruses/41026/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=9af679f9e0-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-9af679f9e0-91874541

Though important advances have been made in treating RNA virus infections such as hepatitis C and influenza, a broad spectrum antiviral drug that throws a blanket over all of them, including more deadly variants like Ebola, has remained out of reach. Scientists are now reporting the discovery of a drug-like molecule that could be used to combat all RNA viruses, by triggering an innate immune response that suppresses and controls the infections.

As a virus spreads through the body, it takes over individual cellular machinery and uses it to make copies of itself, infecting other cells in the process. While the body can fight off some viruses on its own, others are able to mutate to elude these natural defence mechanisms and go on replicating. Drugs have been developed to treat specific viruses, such as hepatitis C, but they are expensive and some hold concerns that their ongoing use may give rise to drug resistance.

So a team led by scientists from the University of Washington set out to better equip the body's immune system to fight off viral RNA. It has developed a compound that targets a molecule contained in the body's cells called RIG-1. This molecule is a pathogen recognition receptor, which means that it detects the presence of viral RNA and sets off an innate immune response inside the cell...........

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21084468

J Virol. 2011 Feb;85(3):1224-36. doi: 10.1128/JVI.01635-10. Epub 2010 Nov 17.
RIG-I-mediated antiviral signaling is inhibited in HIV-1 infection by a protease-mediated sequestration of RIG-I.
Solis M1, Nakhaei P, Jalalirad M, Lacoste J, Douville R, Arguello M, Zhao T, Laughrea M, Wainberg MA, Hiscott J.
Author information
Abstract
The rapid induction of type I interferon (IFN) is essential for establishing innate antiviral responses. During infection, cytoplasmic viral RNA is sensed by two DExD/H box RNA helicases, RIG-I and MDA5, ultimately driving IFN production. Here, we demonstrate that purified genomic RNA from HIV-1 induces a RIG-I-dependent type I IFN response. Both the dimeric and monomeric forms of HIV-1 were sensed by RIG-I, but not MDA5, with monomeric RNA, usually found in defective HIV-1 particles, acting as a better inducer of IFN than dimeric RNA. However, despite the presence of HIV-1 RNA in the de novo infection of monocyte-derived macrophages, HIV-1 replication did not lead to a substantial induction of IFN signaling. We demonstrate the existence of an evasion mechanism based on the inhibition of the RIG-I sensor through the action of the HIV-1 protease (PR). Indeed, the ectopic expression of PR resulted in the inhibition of IFN regulatory factor 3 (IRF-3) phosphorylation and decreased expression of IFN and interferon-stimulated genes. A downregulation of cytoplasmic RIG-I levels occurred in cells undergoing a single-cycle infection with wild-type provirus BH10 but not in cells transfected with a protease-deficient provirus, BH10-PR(-). Cellular fractionation and confocal microscopy studies revealed that RIG-I translocated from the cytosol to an insoluble fraction during the de novo HIV-1 infection of monocyte-derived macrophages, in the presence of PR. The loss of cytoplasmic RIG-I was prevented by the lysosomal inhibitor E64, suggesting that PR targets RIG-I to the lysosomes. This study reveals a novel PR-dependent mechanism employed by HIV-1 to counteract the early IFN response to viral RNA in infected cells.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:46:35 pm by Mishma »
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.