Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 119
Total: 119

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who will pay in California  (Read 14888 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Who will pay in California
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:08:52 pm »
Dear Forum Friends,

As my face has been wasting away, I have been dodging cameras for a few years.  That is why I never have an avatar with my own photo.

Last month, I was asked to be on TV for a News channel special on 25 years of AIDS.  I know about makeup, camera angles and lighting, it was the same for the other two local guys Harold and Greg.  They looked like themselves while I looked like death warmed over.  I borrowed a tape of the show from an employee at the clinic.

Since seeing myself or at least the man wearing my shirt and using my words and voice,  I just can not go out in public.  I spoke to a friend who is a medical biller at Kaiser Permanente, he has had Sculptura but he is a Kaiser member as well as an employee.  Tim said Medicare and or Medi-Cal (the California version of Medicaid) will pay for the procedure if the prescription is written properly.  My doctor said last year the vials cost about $3000.00 each and the procedure will require 4 vials, he also said he could do the procedure.

I live on disability and $12000.00 is much more than I make each year.  Has anyone had this done and paid for by either Medi-Medi?  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org 

Offline bobino

Re: Who will pay in California
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:05:11 pm »
Michael,

First of all, let me say that I think the price your doctor is quoting is a bit high.  I've heard of getting Sculptra for substantially less.  So shop around.  Second, Sculptra has a patient assistance program, and it sounds like you would qualify.  I know that anyone making less than $40,000 per year is eligible, so you should also check into that.  If that fails, I think that there are buyers clubs that get Sculptra from Canada at a much lower price.  Many doctors will inject the material if you supply it.

Now, to answer your actual question, there are a number of laws on the books in California that require insurers to pay for procedures designed to restore a person's normal appearance where the appearance has been lost because of accident or disease.  Thus, in California, insurers are legally required to pay for these procedures where medically indicated.  There is a statute that makes these requirements applicable to Medi-Cal.  Despite the statutes, I understand that many insurers refuse to pay for Sculptra treatment.  The best course of action is to prepare a strong medical case in advance.  Get letters from your doctor that document your condition and, most important, the effect it has on you.  If you have a psychotherapist, get him/her to write a letter testifying to the adverse psychological effects the lipo is having.  Request a precertification from Medi-Cal.  If they refuse, then appeal. 

If you would like references to the laws that I am talking about, just let me know and I can provide them.  Don't give up on this.  I think that the law is on your side.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:48:22 am »
Dear John,

I have started by sending an email to the staff nurse at the clinic describing how I feel about myself after the TV program, isolation and my earlier discussion with my provider last year.  That will get the documentation started from my provider.

I can contact the Clinical Case Manager and begin getting to the Psychotherapist on Monday morning.  Next, I would like to have the links to the laws as you discussed.  Thank you
Michael

Offline bobino

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 02:40:31 am »
Hi Michael,

The laws at issue are Welfare and Institutions Code § 14132.62, Insurance Code § 10123.88, and Health and Safety Code § 1367.63.  The first provision is the one, I believe, that applies to Medi-Cal, and I'll paste a copy of the text here, since it's not too long.

The text of all California codes can be found here:  http://www.leginfo.ca.gov

The text of Welfare and Institutions Code § 14132.62 reads as follows:

14132.62.  (a) Reconstructive surgery shall be covered under this
chapter, as defined in subdivision (c), when necessary to achieve the
purposes specified in paragraphs (1) or (2) of subdivision (c).
Nothing in this section shall be construed to require coverage for
cosmetic surgery, as defined in subdivision (d).
   (b) No individual, other than a licensed physician competent to
evaluate the specific clinical issues involved in the care requested,
may deny initial requests for authorization of coverage for
treatment pursuant to this section.  For a treatment authorization
request submitted by a podiatrist or an oral and maxillofacial
surgeon, the request may be reviewed by a similarly licensed
individual competent to evaluate the specific clinical issues
involved in the care requested.
   (c) "Reconstructive surgery" means surgery performed on abnormal
structures of the body caused by congenital defects, developmental
abnormalities, trauma, infection, tumors, or disease to do either of
the following:
   (1) To improve function.
   (2) To create a normal appearance, to the extent possible.
   (d) "Cosmetic surgery" means surgery that is performed to alter or
reshape normal structures of the body in order to improve
appearance.
   (e) In connection with the interpretation of the definition of
reconstructive surgery, a proposed surgical procedure may be subject
to prior authorization and utilization review that may include, but
need not be limited to, denial under any of the following
circumstances:
   (1) There is another more appropriate surgical procedure that will
be approved for the enrollee.
   (2) The procedure or procedures offer only a minimal improvement
in the appearance of the enrollee, as defined in regulations adopted
by the department.
   (3) Denial of payment for procedures performed without prior
authorization.
   (f) This section shall become operative July 1, 1999.

Basically the section states that you can have reconstructive surgery to create a normal appearance, and it seems to me that Sculptra treatment should qualify.  Note subdivision (e) and its requirement of prior authorization.

Hope that this is helpful.  Let me know if this works out.  

John

Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:05:50 am »
John,

Thank you for the support and the help.  I printed out the links and will be all over them by Monday.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline bobino

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »
You're welcome.  And do keep me/us posted.  All patients with lipo in California have an interest in the outcome of your case.  We need to see how these laws are interpreted.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 12:44:28 am »
Dear John,

I got a response back from our Staff Nurse this afternoon.  I knew I would because we are also good friends.  He did check with my Doctor and found there was no funding available.  This is not surprising because it is a small non-profit clinic, operated by the County in Santa Rosa.

I did get a referral to a Dr. Conant in San Francisco, do you know of him?  I was told he does Sculptura at a greatly reduced price.  My thinking is this may be their unofficial way of saying, go to him and he will push the paperwork through Medi-Cal.

I was talking to another friend on one of the committees I serve on today.  He is trying to get Lyposuction on his chin and his belly because of the effects the meds have had on his appearance over the years.  I started sharing information with him today after our talk in the hallway.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline bobino

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:35:37 am »
Dr. Marcus Conant is well-known.  In fact, he's in Randy Shilts's book about the early years of AIDS, "And the Band Played On."  I havent' been to him personally, but he has been recommended to me also.  

Did you check with Dermik to see if you qualified for the Sculptra patient assistance program?  It sounds like you would.  I believe there is information about it posted somewhere here in this forum.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 01:06:02 am »
Thank you John,

I'm in really good hands here, I already know I can qualify and will start the paperwork next week.  I should burn a copy of the TV show and send that with my application letter.  Thank you ever so much
Michael

Offline bobino

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 01:24:46 am »
Michael,

Glad to hear the good news.  I understand that Dermik will make Sculptra available at greatly reduced cost.   Not sure about the doctor's fee for the actual injections.  Just make sure that Medi-Cal pays for whatever the doctor charges. 

Good luck.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 03:30:10 am »
Dear John,

I was awake most of the night after reading your post about Dr. Conant being in Randy Shilts book.  There was a most interesting woman in my life named Mrs. Conant, she was the librarian in our high school and since I was such the book worm, she was always pointing out reading material that I would enjoy.  She taught me about finding reference material, the Dewey Decimal system.  As I recall, she introduced me to J.D. Sallinger's "Catcher in the Rye."

Mrs. Conant drove a new Dodge Charger (a muscle car) and her son, who was studying to become a doctor, put mag wheels on that car.  Sometimes the world gets really small and I wonder if Dr. Marcus Conant is the son of Mrs. Emma Conant.  Anyway, I have this compulsion to contact Dr. Conant.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline BWB

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:02:18 am »
I've had a few Sculptra treatments so far with great success and have managed to get some insurance coverage but am now stalled out because the pharmacy will only order 3 treatments at a time. So far, I've ordered treatments (2 vials per) at $1600 a pop but can't swing three and don't have anyone else locally who is interested.

What are the buyer's clubs you mentioned?

Juiceit

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 01:26:22 pm »
Dear Bobino:  Please email me at :   JeromeJohnson@surfglobal.net
Who Dermik?--Sorry for this public post but there is no way to contact you within this site?  I am new so I guess I am asking for two bits of information?  Sorry!
Sincerely yours,
Jerome
(Juiceit)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.