Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:58:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 486
Total: 486

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV gene therapy - AGT103-T  (Read 26026 times)

Offline em

HIV gene therapy - AGT103-T
« on: November 08, 2019, 07:00:17 am »

I do not know if this has already been posted ? but it is relatively new news from nov 6
I know cure hype  believe it when you see it  thought this info might be worth sharing

https://www.localdvm.com/news/i-270/american-gene-technologies-believes-they-have-the-cure-for-hiv-aids/

Offline Mindless

Re: HIV gene therapy - AGT103-T
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:34:24 am »
AGT should hear from the FDA sometime before the end of the year. If it’s approved, they will have the green light to begin phase one of the clinical trial in January.

I guess this means that even if this is actually working (yet to be demonstrated) we’d be years maybe decades away from real world application (at what cost is another big question), is that correct?
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:58 am »
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73181.msg762655#msg762655

Someone mentioned it, it's just another nice idea like so many and throwing the word cure around for investment & buzz.

Anyhow it's going into a phase 1 study, I'll find you a better link thought later today then the one you have

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline geobee

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:22:08 pm »
I participated in something similar a while back.  A company, Sangamo, was going to use ZFN (Zinc Finger Nuclease) to edit T-Cells. The idea was to collect your T-Cells through apheresis, modify them, and put them back.  The resistant cells would survive and be immune to HIV. 

I was eventually DQ'd from the study.  Didn't have enough HIV in my blood apparently.  So they couldn't tell if it was CCR5 or not.

From what I read, this is similar.  Take your cells out, modify them to produce an AB, and put them back.  Pretty cool. 

This process is a lot less scaleable then a pill / vaccine of course.  Apheresis takes about two hours and, while not unpleasant, wasn't particularly comfortable.  Still, if this thing shows promise, sign me up! 

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
It is a nice one and has made it to human trials. There is some good likelyhood for it to reach phase II and III and hope it does, but one of the potentially serious obstacles would be:
a/ no measurable effect
b/ even if it happens to work, will take at least 5 years to be available if given priority.
c/ serious immunogenicity, which could lead to a pronounced inflammatory effect throughout the body with potential consequences like organ damage and failure.
Only speculating tho, lentiviral vector technology is promising for many diseases, let's hope it grants us a safe functional cure. Even if it doesn't though, it will answer many questions that will help get closer to the real 'cure'.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:18:58 pm by ZachR »
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline Expat1

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:18:18 pm »
IF a treatment cured say 90% of people living with HIV, but killed the other 10 %, would you sign  up?

What if it cured 99% and killed only 1%?

What it the final cost/benefit level that is acceptable?  And compare that to current
practices with ART?

No answer from me?  Just a question.

(Maybe only  use with  multidrug resistant HIV after salvage therapy unable to reduce VL below a certain threshold?)

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »
IF a treatment cured say 90% of people living with HIV, but killed the other 10 %, would you sign  up?

What if it cured 99% and killed only 1%?

If it killed 10% it wouldn't be approved for widespread use anyway. In case it killed 1% while successfully curing 99, it would be approved, because numerous interventions used in medicine already have a worse risk/benefit ratio than 99/1.

Let me only remind you that we don't have a 100% guarantee that we'll make it till tomorrow, right?  So demanding 100% from those guys would be unnatural.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:52:24 pm by ZachR »
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline Expat1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:57 pm »
Zack, I asked: "Would you sign up?"   Not if it would be approved.  Me no.

IF my CD4 were 25 and I was symtomatic with OIs, maybe. 

Offline em

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:36 pm »
that was me over twenty years ago when my ID doc suggested I go on trial testing norvir.   My count was 7 viral load inconceivable large    that i gladly tried thinking even if I die at least I gave every option a try if it did not help me it might help others on the same path .    I would be willing to be selected to try this .  to help push things toward a cure .   I cannot see why anyone would not want to but that is your choice

I hope we live to see this turn out to be cure for everyone's sake 

em

Offline Expat1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 04:36:45 am »
Good points em. 

Whenever I see cure in the headlines with HIV , first thing I think is that it is probably a pump and dump scheme or someone wanting to make a fortune with  an IPO.   

Call me skeptical.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 05:06:34 am »
Good points em. 

Whenever I see cure in the headlines with HIV , first thing I think is that it is probably a pump and dump scheme or someone wanting to make a fortune with  an IPO.   

Call me skeptical.

I'm with you on that, every year the next big "cure" is announced and for decades nothing has panned out. If I had been a mouse, monkey or petri-dish I would have been cured a dozen times over mind you.  ;D

Scientifically it's fascinating stuff, take the "Research News & Studies" section if you like and you search for the keyword "cure" you will find decades of exciting announcements about cures some of them at human testing stages that simply did not work out. It's great we keep learning from this stuff though in the sense of scientific development

For me getting excited or hopeful every time would be an utter waste of energy & life. Worse is the odd cases of people not starting treatment or stopping as they believe there is or will be a cure soon or people taking risks because of cure headlines  😡
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:22:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 07:45:11 am »
The FDA has approved a possible HIV cure gene therapy trial.

"The FDA this week authorized a Phase I trial of the product known as AGT103-T. It is made from blood cells and initiates a process that increases the body’s T cells, which fight HIV, and uses a gene therapy to help those cells survive. In preclinical studies in cell models, it has demonstrated “the ability to clear itself of HIV when challenged with the virus and HIV-infected human cells,” according to a press release from the company, based in Rockville, Md. American Gene Technologies researched the product in collaboration with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, a federal government agency."..

https://www.hivplusmag.com/treatment/2020/8/14/trials-begin-potential-hiv-cure?amp

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 08:20:39 am »
Does not seem like everyone likes their PR spin, anyhow, as with all claims and promises time will tell.

https://www.poz.com/article/gene-therapy-cure-claims-premature-advocates-say

“From its research, AGT believes a cure is attainable and is now taking the significant step of testing in humans,” the company announced in a press release. Added AGT founder and CEO Jeff Galvin, “I am confident AGT103-T will be an important step toward an eventual cure for HIV.”

But advocates say such claims are not only premature, they are also harmful in giving people with HIV the false impression that a cure is around the corner.

AGT’s public relations strategy “preys on the emotions of people living with HIV” and “has a deleterious effect on the understanding of the cure field overall,” Seattle advocate Michael Louella told POZ. “They make their outrageous comments, and these are then picked up and believed to be certain truth. Any attempt to promote a more nuanced and better-grounded understanding of gene therapy or the clinical process becomes impossible.

“Saying ’AGT believes there is a high likelihood that participants in the upcoming trial will be cured’ is beyond outrageous and completely undermines informed consent because it’s an unethical inducement to participate [in trials],” Richard Jefferys of the Treatment Action Group told POZ.

“And it’s not based on a shred of evidence. To my knowledge, there’s no humanized mouse data, no macaque data—it’s all theory,” he continued. "I would hope that they pause to reconsider their PR strategy and broaden their consultation with stakeholders, including community-based advocates.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:41:29 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 09:09:45 am »
Does not seem like everyone likes there PR spin, anyhow, as with all claims and promises time will tell.

Ofcourse, time will tell, but I see nothing wrong with scientist feeling confident in there research.. I mean what are they supposed to say, "I don't think it's going to work"🤨.

It sometimes seems like these "advocates" would prefer no research into a cure at all, like they have stock Gilead or something.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 11:31:42 am »
Well I don't know about what the advocates have or have not invested in, but personlly I would pefer a dose of commen sense and data to support claims about these things instead of throwing the "cure" word arround but that does not get investments, money and attention I suppose, Greed? Anyhow, I guess the hype for these things has a reason.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:43:54 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2021, 01:17:16 am »
“”the first participant of the Phase 1 clinical trial has been infused with the company’s cell and gene therapy product, AGT103-T. “”

“”The first infusion took place on May 19 at the Washington Health Institute in Northeast Washington.””

“It was about 15 minutes to infuse about 100 milliliters that contains 1 billion HIV-specific T-cells that are immune to HIV and then after that, because now the drug is in their body, essential their cells, those modified cells are the drug, they sit for four hours of observation,”

“”it could be done somewhere around $500,000 a patient.”””  :o :o :o

https://wjla.com/news/local/maryland-based-company-hits-huge-milestone-in-development-of-hiv-funtional-cure

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2021, 10:27:00 am »
Well that's good.. but real creep that they're already discussing the price tag when they don't know if it worls yet.

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2021, 04:38:15 pm »
Could be a positive  signal giving by them …. In other hand they are saying gonna earn more profit from hiv patients than transitional pharma does at the moment means competition is also set in hiv market   ;D :D however it feels they gonna do something before Chinese market enter to  hiv business using gene tech ,

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 01:03:55 am »
I don't know but the CEO of American Gene Technologies seems like an asshole. He called my meds "poison" in this video.. how can I trust this fool when he doesn't know what he's talking about.

https://youtu.be/PrKW0Sio5Q4

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 04:14:58 pm »
Its called marketing…it is a  hiv market , they have to fights each other manufacturers to increase sales, specially when they introduce new products . Victims they consider its a life saving thing, for the manufacture, its a business for $$$ .. so they will use any word to convince us “ come and buy my product once its ready”  For fun , In business and marketing we say “ Your coffin is my business “

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 06:46:24 pm »
Victims they consider its a life saving thing, for the manufacture, its a business for $$$ .. so they will use any word to convince us.

They haven't proven their product saves lives yet, so why should I believe him?
Bcz he calls the medication that does save lives "poison"?

If this company really does cure HIV, there's no need to use such deceitful marketing tactics. A cure will sell itself.
No need for a snake oil salesman.

My guess is he's looking for investors so they can make money whether or not it works.. and most likely it won't.

Offline nethan1621

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2021, 08:56:30 am »
Its generalized statement and nothing focus on anyones product. We all are entitled to have our own opinion… nothing can be done about it. Its not about who you are gonna believe or not , it just a marketing strategy. Thats all. You clearly said” marketing tactics” so what else..

You are right they are looking for investors but they are not the only one looking for investors. Currently Who has already earned using HIV , companies are together controlling and sharing profits each other. And some of them even hide the newest chemical formula until current patent expired no matter what happened to human… nothing to be panic worry  anger or stress jst looking at the word cure , poison, or whatever.
Again people can say anything , its us who decide to listen to whom.. hiv infected person who are very good in experience from old days up to today might have so many disappointments on their life long journey, as well cocktails ARV was the only hope for them back in days up to today or for the future for anyone… but so many things gonna happen, it  might not able to see by their lifetime but for some it could be happen. “ hiv infection change from dead sentence to new life, so many toxic pills change to one pill 3 in 1 , less aide effect, invented few class of  back bone medicine for hiv, and now once month is almost approved, twice a year is in phase 3 , soo some of infected people didnt live a life to see whats in today. Same for some of us but not for all of us … i hope any educated person wont stop eating their daily tablet , as well as looking forward to see whats next..regardless whats the statement in the media
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 08:59:32 am by nethan1621 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2021, 11:05:36 am »
Nathan.

It seems you have a gripe that companies are not charities and make a profit and about how they do it. I'm not denying it or saying they are saints but we discussed this before, give it a rest already or open a specific thread to express whatever gripe you have about how they make their money.

nothing to be panic worry  anger or stress jst looking at the word cure , poison, or whatever.

i hope any educated person wont stop eating their daily tablet , as well as looking forward to see whats next..regardless whats the statement in the media

Well, we will have to disagree, it is something to get pissed off about, at least I do because I care about people living with HIV.

I hope nobody regardless of their level of education stops taking their meds based on some nonsense (biased) publications by some company/CEO of an unproven treatment looking prehaps for investors, attention and funds.

However, the truth is it happens, it's happened before and will happen again, and you also have people delaying treatment and having preventable issues down the line because of these kinds of unsubstantiated claims about current HIV meds.

People sadly get swept away in such things.

They haven't proven their product saves lives yet, so why should I believe him?
Bcz he calls the medication that does save lives "poison"?

If this company really does cure HIV, there's no need to use such deceitful marketing tactics. A cure will sell itself.
No need for a snake oil salesman.

My guess is he's looking for investors so they can make money whether or not it works.. and most likely it won't.

Agreed. It's similar headline stuff used by others over the years.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:21:11 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2021, 11:08:51 am »
P.S

I merged the threads.  Just as a reminder please use the search function before opening a new thread. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11292.msg

Please use the search function particularly in this in this section to check if we have a thread open that already. If you can't find a thread on the study or subject then do open a new thread however always include a brief description of why you think it might be of interest to readers. Duplicate threads will be merged or deleted without warning
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 01:22:52 pm »
It appears UCLA is also in the HIV cure research business via gene therapy.. https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/health/2021/06/28/ucla-researchers-studying-gene-therapy-as-possible-hiv-cure

Oh look at that, they don't think treatment is poison :o
Thanks to HIV research producing reliable treatments, Amore has managed to live a healthy life while taking his meds.

Offline Almost2late

FDA approves first gene therapy trials for HIV cure
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2021, 06:40:01 am »
This is finally happening, the trials will begin..

FDA approves first trial investigating CRISPR gene editing as HIV cure

Excision BioTherapeutics to begin trials testing CRISPR gene editing as a HIV cure. Image credit: Shutterstock
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has given the nod for Excision BioTherapeutics to begin trials testing CRISPR gene editing as a treatment for HIV.

EBT-101 will be a first-in-human, CRISPR-based one-time gene therapy to be evaluated in individuals with HIV.

On 15 September Excision announced that the FDA had accepted its Investigational New Drug (IND) application for EBT-101 as a potential functional cure for chronic HIV.

The IND clearance will allow the firm to start a first-in-human Phase I/II trial to evaluate the safety, tolerability and efficacy of EBT-101 in healthy individuals living with HIV.

“The clearance of our IND application for EBT-101 represents an important milestone for Excision and is the result of years of commitment to developing a functional cure for individuals living with HIV,” said Excision CEO Daniel Dornbusch.

“Although antiviral treatments can manage HIV infection, they require life-long treatment, cause side effects, and do not provide the possibility of a functional cure. We are grateful for the FDA’s engaged review and acceptance of the IND for EBT-101 and look forward to initiating the Phase I/II clinical trial later this year.”

EBT-101 uses CRISPR to cut out or excise HIV that has wrapped around the DNA in cells. It has been HIV’s ability to coil itself into DNA that has made it so difficult to treat and largely the reason that past curative efforts have fallen flat.

The therapy harnesses an adeno-associated virus (AAV) at a relatively low dose to deliver the one-time treatment.

Excision said that the investigational programme employs CRISPR-Cas9 and two guide RNAs that target three sites within the HIV genome, “thereby excising large portions of the HIV genome and minimizing potential viral escape”.

The upcoming trial will be one of the first attempts to directly extract the latent virus from DNA.

In preclinical studies, the therapy demonstrated the ability to excise HIV proviral DNA in human primary cells as well as multiple animal models including non-human primates.

In later studies, after evaluating the safety and tolerability of the therapy, Excision hopes to take patients off their regular antiviral meds to test EBT-101 as a cure.

“EBT-101 has demonstrated removal of proviral DNA in multiple animal models and offers an opportunity for individuals living with HIV to potentially cease life-long therapies,” said Excision’s CMO Lisa Danzig.

“The Excision team looks forward to this important collaboration with our principal investigators, scientific advisors and regulators, to conduct a safe and informative trial with this first-in-class approach to a viral disease target previously considered to be incurable.”

The news of the trial comes just weeks after it was announced that J&J’s recent efforts at an HIV vaccine had failed and news broke that Moderna is set to begin trials of its HIV vaccine based on mRNA technology.

HIV can now be well managed with antiretroviral medications, but these are a lifelong commitment and cause side effects. For the last few decades, an elusive HIV vaccine has been considered ‘the holy grail’ in stopping the spread of the highly stigmatised disease, but CRISPR-based gene editing would represent a brand-new therapeutic approach.

https://www.clinicaltrialsarena.com/news/crispr-gene-editing-hiv-cure/

Offline Da2020

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 05:45:42 pm »
They did a press release last month about blood markers of efficacy and announced they might have a ‘functional cure’ by summer.

https://www.americangene.com/press-releases/american-gene-technologies-hiv-clinical-trial-demonstratess-blood-markers-of-efficacy/

Offline Da2020

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2022, 08:13:35 pm »
They have been posting multiple updates about their trails. Hopefully they have some solid foundations for their claims. Apparently their latest press releases say they are expecting first patients to go off ART by end of march and they are expecting efficacy data by end of June, but their trail info on clinical trails says nothing about people going off art's or measuring efficacy. I'm a bit confused as all the other trails took years after the treatment (Berlin, London and New York patients) to declare remission, how are these guys able to determine if their procedure is a success just after 3 months of ART (Dint the Brazil patient have a viral rebound after more than a year. Even excision bio's trail says their test wont be complete until end of 2024)

Offline Da2020

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 04:45:26 pm »
They did a press release last month about blood markers of efficacy and announced they might have a ‘functional cure’ by summer.

https://www.americangene.com/press-releases/american-gene-technologies-hiv-clinical-trial-demonstratess-blood-markers-of-efficacy/

Now, that it is almost summer? what do you guys think about them? Their CEO kept saying they'll know about it by June, but their website says they ll have an update by september. Do you guys ever think there will be cure?Hopefully they have something viable.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:48:49 pm by Da2020 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2022, 04:53:04 pm »
Well did they mention what summer it was going to be? Presuming 2122 will also have a summer
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:56:17 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2022, 05:01:21 pm »
lol, they did say this year, but who knows. They have been mentioning they got 'green light' to start ATI, but not sure if they did. They do update the status of the trail frequently. Hopefully we ll know something by next month. Their estimated primary completion date is June 2022 on clinicaltrails.gov .

https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04561258?term=agt-103&cond=Hiv&draw=2&rank=1

Hopefully it holds up to their claims!

Offline racingagainstme

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2022, 08:13:23 pm »
AGT along with Gilead are surely the most promising bodies of work. Unfortunately Gilead is no where near as transparent as AGT so we can't follow their progress in detail.

If we see a functional cure in our lifetime, it will likely be from Gilead or AGT.

Gilead currently has 3 'cure' programs in Phase 2 clinical trials.

Vesatolimod is being tested in combination with other drugs in multiple trials currently in Phase II ATI.

Broadly neutralizing antibodies (bnAb) have been shown to delay viral rebound and are being tested in combination with each other in Phase II ATI.

Lefitolimod is being tested in combination with bnAb s and others in at least 2 Phase II ATI trials.

Phase I trials in all of these are completed but don't claim any extremely positive data in terms of treatment efficacy, and thus are being tested as combination therapies.

It is important to note that Phase I trials are generally for determining if a drug is safe in small quantities, while Phase II focuses on determining efficacy via increasing dosage. Phase III compares against already existing treatments.

American Gene Technologies is currently working on gene therapy to provide a functional cure. It is a unique approach compared to above. They are in Phase I trials and just received permission to begin ATI about a week ago.

AGT reports "positive biomarkers" in early data and have had no issues with adverse events thus far.

Laboratory studies confirmed substantial increases in virus-specific T cells consistent with improved immunity against HIV in all participants. The early data addresses key trial endpoints and is aligned with the objective of restoring natural immunity against HIV.

Again, it is important to note that the Phase I trial is still underway and that the so-called early data is delivered as a press release and not through a standard clinical trial paper as we see with finished trials. AGT is giving us progress reports while the trial is ongoing, unlike the Gilead Phase II trials. It is easy to dismiss AGT as hype, but unlike Gilead, AGT is completely funded by investors and donations so they have a market pressure to be open with their progress and aggressive with their marketing. The trial is moving quickly, and they have been given the go-ahead to initiate ATI in their Phase I trial (unusual?). I find it unlikely they are all hype no bite.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 12:21:41 am »
The trial is moving quickly, and they have been given the go-ahead to initiate ATI in their Phase I trial (unusual?).

If so I would not find it that unusual.

I find it unlikely they are all hype no bite.

AGT currently has a phase 1, for 6 people I think, and that's all it is, so they will not have a cure by next summer, even if it does work. It is interesting though and we will have to wait and see what the hard data and the final results are like.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:25:59 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2022, 02:31:04 pm »
They are supposed to start ATI by end of this month and they would be looking for viral rebound in 3-6 weeks after starting ATI

Offline Da2020

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2022, 12:13:26 pm »
They are supposed to start ATI by end of this month and they would be looking for viral rebound in 3-6 weeks after starting ATI

I got a call from them about their update. They said they ll be starting 3 people on ATI at the end of this month and if they don’t see viral rebound in 85% ( so all 3?) within 3 weeks, they ll keep them on ATI for 3 more weeks and consider their trail to be a ‘success’ and get the remaining folks on ATI as well and have an update by August/September. They said they ll have phase 2 in October of next year

Offline Da2020

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2022, 08:10:24 pm »
I got a call from them about their update. They said they ll be starting 3 people on ATI at the end of this month and if they don’t see viral rebound in 85% ( so all 3?) within 3 weeks, they ll keep them on ATI for 3 more weeks and consider their trail to be a ‘success’ and get the remaining folks on ATI as well and have an update by August/September. They said they ll have phase 2 in October of next year

This article more or less says the same thing
https://biobuzz.io/american_gene_hiv_cure/

Offline em

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2022, 10:26:47 am »
study for AGT103-t looking for 24 people . I have no idea where this study takes place ?

https://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/122165/developing-a-functional-cure-for-hiv-disease-clinical-specimen-collection-from-hiv-positive-individuals/

this is  the address of the company. so the study might be close to this? 

9713 Key W Ave 5th Floor, Rockville, MD 20850
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:33:20 am by em »

Offline Da2020

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 08:47:29 pm »
study for AGT103-t looking for 24 people . I have no idea where this study takes place ?

https://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/122165/developing-a-functional-cure-for-hiv-disease-clinical-specimen-collection-from-hiv-positive-individuals/

this is  the address of the company. so the study might be close to this? 

9713 Key W Ave 5th Floor, Rockville, MD 20850

I just looked up the clinical trails number from this link and it appears to be an older trail. This hasn’t been updated since September 2020 and has an estimated completion date of Feb 21
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03215004?term=NCT03215004&draw=2&rank=1.
But the current one in the news has  been around the Washington DC area.

Offline em

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2022, 12:19:40 am »
sorry about that , did not see a date on that listing . did see another  study with a completion date of September of 2022. they have not said it had failed .  these results from this study should shed light on how they did .  hopeful of future results. study ended in June but they are tracking the participants until September to get long term results.    maybe I read this wrong ?   if you have more details please share

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04561258   

Offline Da2020

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2022, 07:03:19 am »
sorry about that , did not see a date on that listing . did see another  study with a completion date of September of 2022. they have not said it had failed .  these results from this study should shed light on how they did .  hopeful of future results. study ended in June but they are tracking the participants until September to get long term results.    maybe I read this wrong ?   if you have more details please share

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04561258

Reply#35

Offline Da2020

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2022, 10:34:44 pm »
They issued an update about ATI

http:// https://www.americangene.com/news-releases/agt-hiv-trial-enters-phase-withdrawing-antiretrovirals/

American Gene Technologies[/color][/size],[/color][/size] [/color][/size]a clinical-stage biotechnology company, has reached a turning point in its HIV cure clinical trial: [/color][/size]it began withdrawing participants from their antiretroviral drugs earlier this month[/color][/size]. This clinical protocol, technically known as analytic treatment interruption (ATI), may ultimately determine if this gene therapy treatment can cure HIV.[/color][/size] [/font][/size][/color]“This is the next logical step in the trial’s progression,” explained Dr. Marcus A. Conant, Chief Medical Officer at American Gene Technologies. “By withdrawing these patients’ antiretrovirals we can demonstrate whether our AGT103-T gene therapy will lead to a cure.”[/size][/color] [/size][/color]In February 2022, the independent Institutional Review Board (IRB) overseeing the clinical trial approved the company to proceed with the ATI. Seven patients have received AGT103-T so far. None have experienced any serious adverse events, thereby demonstrating the therapy’s safety. Blood markers in the treated patients have provided a view into how the cell therapy is responding in their bodies. So far, the data has confirmed that the cells are properly engrafting, persisting, and seem to be remaining uninfected while reacting to, and likely fighting HIV the way scientists expected.[/size][/color] [/size][/color]“This is a critical step in our mission to cure HIV using gene therapy,” said American Gene Technologies CEO Jeff Galvin. “We’ll monitor participants carefully, and within the next few months we’ll begin to know how close we are to reaching our dream of curing HIV. If participants respond as we expect, they may no longer need to take their antiretroviral medications, and could remain immune to HIV for life without further treatment. If we obtain that result, we may have achieved the most exciting development in HIV research in decades. This milestone could lead to a reliable cure for HIV that returns infected individuals to a normal life without risk of ever developing AIDS or infecting another person.”[/size][/color] [/size][/color]Participation in the treatment withdrawal study by the Phase 1 clinical trial participants is voluntary. To proceed with a monitored antiretroviral treatment interruption, participants re-enroll with a new informed consent agreement that outlines the risks and details of the updated ATI protocol.[/size]

Offline em

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2022, 11:51:18 pm »
https://www.americangene.com/pipeline/hiv-aids/

more info on this at the end is a way to sign up. taken from Facebook HIV long term survivors

https://www.americangene.com/news-releases/agt-hiv-trial-enters-phase-withdrawing-antiretrovirals/

another link with more information taken from above with a correction making it link able

all sorts of info on this website worth perusing 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 12:11:43 am by em »

Offline Da2020

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2022, 11:47:26 am »
I have been following them a lot. Not sure how everyone feels about them. They have been releasing quite a number of updates. I hope there is some weight to their claims.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2022, 12:19:41 pm »
So far, it's just been additional company press statements.

It will be interesting once any study results are published, and then it's decided if they can move to full phase 2/3.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 12:30:03 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2022, 07:09:22 pm »
According to clinical trails their primary completion date is June 2022 and final completion date is September, only couple more months I guess

Offline contagion

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2022, 11:31:18 pm »
Don't think this bodes well. Their advisor - Ely Benaim used to be Vice President of Clinical Affairs at Sangamo.
Sangamo's  seemed to used similar technique for a "functional cure", similar dubious  marketing tactics with ultimately no end product to speak of.

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/beware-sangamo-20-year-history-failures-misadventures-hiv-and-flawed-approach-b#:~:
Was excited to read this at first - but the fact that they haven't done any mice or primate studies is telling.
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline em

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2022, 01:35:48 pm »
latest from this company. the article says they are gathering data from five out of seven participants?  it does not say what happened to the two participants. Concern ?   
could be anything . I guess could be nothing could be something.  My guess they went out to celebrate got drunk and arrested. Thus getting dropped by the study. Just a guess .   

Be nice if this works  fingers crossed . maybe while they are gathering data for the study something else might come down  the road even better faster and cheaper ?

things are so much better now then they were  forty years ago. Just that i am alive and  can say forty years ago proves it .   

good luck and good living .     

https://www.americangene.com/milestones/hiv-cure-countdown/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=231154899&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8S7MEdmSA6ZHhx-OrmGKc0UO-IiC4U0GFPt-jHXoLA2CHfMxXYdAP78yGcUkwDkNKK5vaDEyjdfO57lPQMhUbctdi0pA&utm_content=231154899&utm_source=hs_email#current-milestone
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:59:03 pm by em »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2022, 02:30:27 pm »
My guess they went out to celebrate got drunk and arrested. Thus getting dropped by the study. Just a guess .   

::)

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.