Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:01:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 128
Total: 128

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i have been undetectable on same regimen for 11 years BUT  (Read 3729 times)

Offline eeknyc

i have been undetectable on same regimen for 11 years BUT
« on: May 05, 2010, 03:59:24 am »
Amazingly, i have been undetectable on same regimen for 11 years BUT the regimen is Lexiva (formerly Agenerase) Ziagen and Epivir(3TC) -- I would like to switch since the doctors are concerned about heart attack risk with ziagen.

due to anxiety disorder on which my disability is based, sustiva is out and i kinda hate norvir and it's robber-baron company so ideally that's out [but beggars can't be choosers at some point right?]
SO they said Truvada with Lexiva and maybe something else i forgot, it's late...

anyhow the issue is i have had osteopenia close to osteoporosis since 2001 when I was 35yo now I think I am maintaining bone density we shall see with this every other year test....BUT I see Truvada can mess big time with one's bones and I will NEVER take fosamax or fosamax-like drugs...And I have to steer my bones for years without anything other than Jarrow Formula's ULTRA Bone-Up and extra vitamin D3 and swimming

My friends say better to go through hip and knee replacements or god knows what other truvada-related bone problems but it is MUCH less dangerous than what the doctors are saying about ziagen -- in that it takes many onths for the heart danger to go away ! :(
any suggestions? Viread plus lexiva plus...?  Thanks in advance for any inputs! - cb in nyc

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: i have been undetectable on same regimen for 11 years BUT
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:43:45 am »
Hey CB,

I was on the same meds for 11 years too! I was on AZT, Epivir and Crixivan. I also was still undetetectable, but switched because of long-term side effects that appeared.

Viread (Tenofovir)  is the drug in Truvada that can cause bone issues, so that probably isn't what you want.

I thought maybe you could combine Emtriva, the other part of Truvada, with the Epivir, but I just read that is a no-no.

What does your doctor say about your concerns with Tenofovir-induced bone problems? Is he/she concerned?

Is the doctor also concerned about the Ziagen and its potential for coronary complications?

It might be possible to try something completely new, although you will still need to take three meds from two classes.

Maybe a combo that includes Isentress, which I take quite successfully, but I take it with Truvada.

Do you have resistance issues?

Gee, I think I asked more questions than I tried to answer. Sorry bout that.

But I am curious what regimen the doctor suggested.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline randym431

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »
My doc just brought this up last week during 4 month checkup. Im on epzicom and that has the ziagen. While Im doing great, the doc acted like I should consider switching off epzicom. And I asked if it were 2005, when I first started meds, would they have put me on epzicom and he said no way. But he is leaving it up to me. Also there is a test they can do to detect heart issues. Can't remember what its called but it only involved a blood test. They have my next labs set to include this test. But the doc said he is not 100% sure it is reliable. It will just add to their data on heart risks. But I guess this guy that invented the test also claims the benefits, so most in the med profession are pretty Leary of this test and if it is actually useful. They put me on epizcom because of past kidney issues, and thought epzicom was better than turvada as a start and kidneys.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline eeknyc

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »
Thank you both for your replies.

Answers and no need to say you are sorry to me with a good checklist in life! --

Hey CB,

I was on the same meds for 11 years too! I was on AZT, Epivir and Crixivan. I also was still undetetectable, but switched because of long-term side effects that appeared.  ONE DOCTOR TOLD ME AZT IS THE ONLY DRUG TO DATE THAT CROSSES THE BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER I WONDER IF THAT'S TRUE OF ALL DRUGS EVEN IN THE NEAR FUTURE? AND YEAH THOSE DRUGS WERE TOUGH ON MY FRIENDS CRIXIVAN AND STUFF IS WHY I WAITED # YEARS TO START TREATMENT until Agenerase came out

Viread (Tenofovir)  is the drug in Truvada that can cause bone issues, so that probably isn't what you want. ////              DARN seems like I should stick to working regimen and wait for something better but the more i ask the more i hear Ziaagen stories and they ain't good but I think my higher self is telling me to change combination that I am not resistant to anyway as 11 years is a long time to be on a set of drugs every 12 hours. Is this like the "variety is the spice of life" class?

I thought maybe you could combine Emtriva, the other part of Truvada, with the Epivir, but I just read that is a no-no.  HMMM I THINK FAMVIR AND OTHERS ARE IN THAT EPIVIR CLASS BUT I WILL LOOK INTO THEM

What does your doctor say about your concerns with Tenofovir-induced bone problems? Is he/she concerned? NO I AM AND I JUST AM ASKING CAUSE THE ZIAGEN FEAR IS FREAKY

Is the doctor also concerned about the Ziagen and its potential for coronary complications? YES AND SAYS IT WILL TAKE MONTHS AND MONTHS FOR THE HEART ATTACK RISK FROM THAT DRUG TO GO AWAY......

Maybe a combo that includes Isentress I TOUGH I SHOULD SAVE IT FOR LATER AS THEY SAY BUT I MUST CHECK CURRENT DATA AND RESISTANCE PROFILES TO ASSESS

Do you have resistance issues? NO - undetectable from 10/99

But I am curious what regimen the doctor suggested. I EMAILED HIM ON FRIDAY we shall see.. i will ask the other doctors too
 ========================================

Post #2 thank you for reminding me to research the full extent of available the technologies to assess bone beyond bone density mass and hopefully these other tests are not radioactive!

I will gladly pay for tests not covered by insurance as it as an important decision

heart assessment? I am afraid I will die on the treadmill aand I am not down with the blue stuff they inject people with who cannot do the stress test where they have you run on the treadmill to see how far the ticker can take it eek

Offline eeknyc

ziagen 2008 Qs
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:43:31 am »

Offline eeknyc

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:59:56 am »
hmmm british study might suggest ziagen heart risk 'only in 1st year"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o3_3zEPsP0

Offline eeknyc

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 03:27:58 pm »
ok.
doctor advised that ziagen risk of heart problem data are within <1 year on that since i am 45 and have osteopeonia for 9 years it was of to stay the course versus more data for the viread in truvada messing with bones

cd4 cells t 53% undetectable on same regime 10.75 years
lexiva ziagen 3tc

Have a good weekend everyone

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.