Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:33:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 485
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 473
Total: 473

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Life changes, sort of  (Read 6664 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Life changes, sort of
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:40:10 am »
It has been quite a while since I dropped by. So much is going on, it's hard to know where to start.
My HIV is still well controlled, which is good. But since the first of the year, I have been contending with the "other" stuff we who are both LTS and seniors seem to be running into.
An endoscopy earlier this year showed I had gastric ulcers. I was somewhat surprised because I take a PPI to reduce my stomach acid. However, I also have been taking NSAIDS for years for pain control.
I had to stop taking the NSAID du jour, in this case Celebrex, for a pending surgery, and have stayed off of them.
A second endoscopy done Monday showed I have what the doctor called chronic gastritis, which my HIV doc told me is a fancy way to say the lining of my stomach is inflamed.
I probably won't be able to go back to NSAID therapy, both doctors said.
In between the stomach exams, I had a laminectomy, a type of back surgery to relieve paid/numbness. It worked fine and I feel great, or rather, I now can feel my body from the waist down, which often wasn't the case before the surgery.
Now, however, I realize just how well the Celebrex worked. (I know it used to have a black box warning, but it really works very well.)
I have been in almost constant pain from arthritic joints, including my shoulder and hands. I have tried any number of creams or salves.
But what seems to work best are cannabinoids. Medical marijuana is becoming my friend.
I can't smoke it, because of my COPD, but I have tried a number of tinctures, as well as oils, which you take by putting a dropper full under your tongue.
I'm working to find that balance where I have pain relief, but don't feel high or zoned out as a result.
I never thought I would be using medical cannabis, mainly because too much THC makes me sick. (Another reason not to smoke it.)
But, I have found some relief from cannabinoid use.
Of course, then they find something else to look into.
My doctor just referred me to an audiologist.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline flashdance

• Reach out and touch me....
Re: Life changes, sort of
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:22:37 pm »
wow. I have been having senioritis, as well. Thankfully, minor type things that just slow me down for a couple of weeks. I wish all of us luck and good health.
You are never alone...and if you start to feel lonely....search me out...or grab your cat!

Offline guitargal

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:07:06 pm »
Wondering how you are as far as pain now?
 I took a lot of advil tylenol, for severe pain, had an ulser. all those tests, scope down the throat! ugh.
I tried, smoked a lot of weed, high CBD, all kinds from dispensary, some helped a little with my pain. some made it worse.

Did the Celebrex cause the ulsers? Does it really work for pain? Joint and muscle? Tendon and bursitis?

I tried all the antidepressants they wanted me to try that are supposed to help pain...felt worse, didn't help. Lyrica yuck, cymbalta, OMG. horrible. gabapentin drooling mess..

then the doc gave me RX for low dose hydrocodone was on it from 2012 - 2017  ( I went off a few times to assess my pain and no problem weening off only took low dose so not stoned feeling, hate that feeling i am not looking to get high. just be normal and be able to work part time, do normal things, walk, drive, go to the grocery ect) and that helped so much I felt I had my life back.. stomach then was fine and I was able to do things, live life, do some odd jobs for money.

I ran out of pain meds last December. I knew it would happen but wanted to be with my son for the winter.  I stayed in CA for 4 months. Went to clinic in CA,super nice people but  they would not prescribe for me, so my activity and struggle to be pain free and quality of life was not that great. I hate waking up crying everyday and try to hide the swollen eyes.

Came home and doc would not refil with out appointment. Waited over 6 weeks for appointment. Would not refil. I have been struggling. I am alone, no friends, no money.
I called again and spoke with nurse. Doc won't prescribe pain meds anymore/ Wants me to try Effexor.  wants me to go to pain clinic 2 hrs away. I went there 6 years ago, 2 times, alone in crying pain, and there were no answers but they told my doc  a low dose of hydrocodone would be fine. Fibromyalgia. That Doc said he didn't believe in fibromyalgia but gave me 2   5mg  pills a day script.
 I switched docs for another reason,  to who I have now who actually increased my RX pain meds to 4 a day, but I usually only took 3. I could function and smile again sometimes.

I have been in leg pain over 10 years, and wide spread body pain and cramping for 7 and tried every thing but celebrex. Does it work?  why have they not suggested it?

Yesterday and today I have horrible shin splints because I felt good on Wednesday and did a lot of walking. Like if I go to a museum or fair, concert, mall, I suffer for days....

Why can't doctors prescribe me pain meds anymore?? I live alone, mature, won't OD, won't sell them... I am at the end of my rope.? I am 56, not an addict, not a drug seeker, I live with being  in pain back in 1999 and managed it until it got really bad in 2012,

How much advil can one take? it does not help. I take hot baths I use ice pack. I am so done with these doctors.

I have had no money for decades, struggling, fighting the ASO to help with housing,  can't enjoy things, hard to eat when in pain let alone cook and clean.
Why can't I get relief?

and I have been taking tons of OTC advil etc. worried i will get the stomach problems again.

I can't work again, i am not dependable, can hardly walk or lift things half the week. if I drive a lot I am in pain and flat out doing nothing the next day and a half... I can't cope anymore.

and worried I will become either homeless or car less. can't afford both... unless I can earn money.

I am selling everything I own to make ends meet.
 Maybe I should try Canada or Mexico?

What a long strange trip it's been

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:57:59 am »
I have read this a about dozen times trying to think of what might make a compassionate response

getting older treatment for hiv does not prevent the other things age brings into our lives from taking its toll if anything it might accelerate the aging process with all the worry about our lives. having problems you can not solve might have that effect. how not to worry ?

we can feel in some way HIV has made getting old even harder. obviously

Myself I definitely do not feel seventeen anymore and the dreams I once had that I thought would come in good time well the opportunities just were not there

memory and energy to get much done are not there either being over fifty myself

with luck soon I will be able to say over sixty will come soon enough the years pass by quicker when you have lots of them behind you.

the struggles with wear and tare on aspects of our lives things we have including possessions health wealth and people we know.

My vocabulary has slipped along with my memory and thus writing well has suffered not that i was proficient at any point in my life when it comes to organizing my thoughts into words and then to be written well .

aches and pains of getting old I think that is not me I am not old then  i look in the reflection in the mirror and this old guy is staring back at me. It is a much better reflection then the one twenty years ago that looked back at me like the words of a popular song from that time that said he doesn't even recognize his reflection in the mirror three letters took him to his final resting place when i first heard that song. I thought now that is a cheerful  thought and something to look forward too ? NOT then I got sick and laughed about how true it was.

all I can do is hope better times for all those who  post here and read this are coming our way. even if it might not be true thinking positive while positive makes a world of difference we have to believe and the rest will follow.

I apologize if this is not much help

Offline guitargal

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:34 pm »
Thanks EM
Well said

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 03:44:36 pm »

I hope you are doing better Mark .  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline guitargal

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 05:47:49 am »
Wondering how you are doing Mark. Did you find any edibles that helped witht he pain?
I am up crying with pain and so frustrated that I can't find a doctor to treat me.
I can't keep taking advil and tylenol with no real relief.
I don't want another ulcer, my kidneys are already in rough shape.
How do I keep coping? This is not living.
Medical marijuana does not help me much. Some varieties makes it worse and then I am stoned more on that than when I was on 5mg hydrocodone. I would like to try CBD oil but from what I understand it is expensive and some of the oils are just snake oil and have no CBD in it at all.

I am so tired of doctors I don't even want to try to find a new one here and any others are too far to travel to.

I am alone and seriously, no one cares. No ASO to help me. Doctors do not care that I suffer so much. It is inhumane.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
Howdy all,
I got sidetracked with too much going on and didn't get back very quickly.
I am still taking the sublingual medical cannabis, with large amounts of CBDs.
I also have started making my own salve. I take the marijuana, which I cannot smoke, and create an infused oil (I have tried coconut oil, and now am experimenting with sunflower oil, because it is close to the natural sebum made by the skin.)
I have found that pure CBD oil is OK, but to get good results, there has to be some THC. I guess it helps the CBDs work and be absorbed.
It does really work well on my arthritic shoulder. The salve also includes some other herbs, such as arnica, which may also be helping.
Aside from that, I am plugging along. I have developed a trigger finger. Well, I've had it for years but it has gotten worse. So, I see a doctor about it on Wednesday. I believe it only takes a little snip and can be fixed.
I am also seeing a podiatrist for more mundane stuff (a toenail issue).
That will be Wednesday as well. Because I had so much done this year, I reached the maximum out of pocket for my insurance.
That is why I am having all of this other stuff done. No coinsurance, the insurance pays 100 percent.
Come January, I'll be back to copays and deductibles, so I'm striking while the iron is hot.
Just a side note, my doctor is fully supportive of Medical Cannabis. With all of the problems people have with opioids and the feds cracking down on them, it seems like a good follow up.

HUGS to you all.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jody

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:16 pm »
May all good things come your way Mark and you keep it all together, a bit of a battle now that we've reached 39... LOL...Keep up your spirits. ♡♡♡
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.