Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 316
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable, yet falling CD4's and %  (Read 5197 times)

Offline kcmetroman

Undetectable, yet falling CD4's and %
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:47:02 am »
I have been undetectable from the very beginning of meds (18 months).  MY labs in July showed a CD4 of 242 and percentage of 18.  I did labs about a month ago, and CD4's were 189 and 17%.  We redid them again last week and I was at 161 and 13%.  All the time still undetectable.

I am a bit concerned that maybe there is another player in there (cancer?) other than the HIV causing the drop.  My doc has told me to do another set of labs, but it is kind of freaking me out.

I know that I have been smoking (cigs and pot) perhaps a bit too much.  Any ideas?

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: Undetectable, yet falling CD4's and %
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:25:53 pm »
John –

I am sorry to hear about your recent drops in stats.  From what you’re saying about smoking, you may want to include micronutrients which replace the deficiencies it can cause.  In particular, you should be taking extra C, E & Selenium if you’re a smoker – which are also essential nutrients for the immune system.  This may not be the exact reason for your drops, but taking this stuff cannot hurt either.  The thing is, you can protect the immune system all you want w/ antivirals, but you also need to fed it in order for healing and restoration.  Advanced HIV can effect digestion and absorption, so taking vitamins is rarely a bad idea.  Take a little trip to the vitamin store and try to relax in the meantime while you get more labs.

Best of luck…     

Jason

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:17:18 am »
Hey John,
Hmmm, this is a puzzle.

If the trend continues with the next set of labs, I would have a heart-to-heart with the doc. While smoking might depress your CD4s some, it isn't something you have suddenly taken up. You have been smoking all along, right?

I won't try to second guess what might be going on. I'm no doctor. But, if the numbers don't start to turn around, I would want to find out if something else is going on.

In the meantime, try to lessen the stress levels in your life and, as Jason suggested, look at adding some vitamins to your daily routine.

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and send some positive energy your way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:17 am »
Thanks Jason and Mark,

I am going in today to have another set done.  We will have to see.  I know that I haven't been feeling tip top, which would explain the CD4 drop, but the percentage is a question.

Thanks again

John

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 03:33:01 pm »
Hey John,

What are you on?  I can understand your concern.  I remember reading that a subset of folks will see a drop in tcells despite good control of the virus (undetectable).  Sometimes if this is confirmed (over an extended period of time), doctors will make a change in the regimen, hoping that maybe another combo (sometimes even a different group...i.e., moving from PI's to non-nukes, or vice versa) will benefit the patient.

Cliff

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »
Hi Cliff,

I went in and had labs done again this morning.  The combo I am oncurrently  is Kaletra and Combivir, however, I am changing meds next week to the Atripla regimen.  My doc says she will change me either way, since I have been concerned over the AZT in Combivir and hemoglobin and bone marrow issues.  I am in the midst of my twice a year sinus attack and am hoping that has been the cause, and perhaps that the percentage change was a blip.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 05:12:02 pm »
Well good.  Hopefully the new combo will produce some better results (and fantastic dreams)!

Offline felix

• keeping a positive attitude
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 11:37:23 am »
Hey Cliff
I know what you are feeling right now, my counts are pretty shot to, but I look better than I have in a long time even with chemo treatment, i have put on 12k weight (CD4 <90), sometimes we just fuck the system, stay positive my friend, keep a positive attitude and you beat this - love felix (from aus)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.