Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:09:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: would rather ask a stupid question here  (Read 4167 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
would rather ask a stupid question here
« on: November 26, 2007, 12:28:03 pm »
Couple of questions I'd rather ask here than wait and ask my doc.  Still waiting for her to return my phone call so we can strategize our next move for Mini-moo.

1 - Is it possible to have a geno / pheno typing done w/ an undetectable VL?  (still waiting for the copies of the original tests, newtie-patootie).
2 - Is someone w/ an undetectable VL still more suseptable to getting winter cooties than her counterparts w/ no immune deficiency?  I always
     assumed that w/ an UVL and really good t-cells (usually between 500 - 1100) that her immune system was essentially the "same" as someone
     w/o HIV.  However, I've been wrong about many things so wanted to ask it here.  Wondering if it would behoove us to wait until after winter
     cootie season to change meds in case it should have an adverse effect on her VL and T's.
3 - Is a "nuke" a nucleocide analog?

Thanks and big moochies to all!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: would rather ask a stupid question here
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 03:16:23 pm »
Howdy Mum,

To answer your first question, I believe it is either difficult or impossible to have a genotype done with an undetectable viral load. I could be wrong, but I remember people having labs return their results from these tests as "unavailable" because they didn't have enough virus to check.

As for the winter cooties, it depends on how strong the immune system is. If your CD4 is in the normal range, you probably don't have more chance of getting a cold, flu, etc., than anyone else. That said, if your immune system is compromised, then I would take extra precautions.

The answer to your third question is yes, a nuke is either a nucleoside or a nucleotide analog.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:30:09 pm »
Ok, that's what I thought all the way around.  She had her bloodwork done 3wks ago and we have yet to hear from her PID.  I've left several messages. Mini woke up after her nap w/ a fever of 101.4 today.  I'd feel better knowing her numbers.

Thanks for your response.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:50:22 pm »
Hey Mum,

I hope Mini feels better soon. Give her a hug from "Uncle Mark." I will send positive, healing energy her way.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:25:35 pm »
Dear minismom...Don't worry about stupid questions...There's a saying- the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...Some knowledgeable, caring person will almost always get back to you here and don't ever be afraid to write down your questions and concerns and bring them to the doctor and take notes...A pro-active patient is the best patient.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.