Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:20:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 323
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: just tested + in april....  (Read 6485 times)

Offline ltnXc

• "IM"possible
just tested + in april....
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:24:22 pm »
hello,

i really dont know how to start this since.... im not one to open up or share whats going on with me to people but i guess in a way i need some support. I just found out i was positive in april, i got my tests back about 2 weeks ago and my cd4 count is at 47 and my viral load is at 76,000.....

I was pretty devestaved when the doctor came back with those numbers...I pretty much have AIDS... i havet told anyone yet just 2 really close friends.... Im a pretty healthy guy i work out 6 days a week... i live a healthy lifestyle...i have read on some of these post that some people find out while they are in the hospital.... i guess in a way im glad i found out now then with Phenmonia...i dont know how long i have been positive im thinking acouple of years, and i promised myself that i wasnt going to play that guessing game with myself because it will just drive me crazy. He put me on bactrim, and did a genotype test now im on my 6th day on ATRIPLA and i havent been feeling like myself at all.  I have lots of questions.... but dont know who to ask...

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: just tested + in april....
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:15:04 pm »
Well you've come to the right place for the answering of questions. :)

Welcome to the Forums. As is customary I will say that I'm sorry you're here but I'm glad you found us all the same.

If you haven't already I'd recommend you take a look at the AIDSmeds Lessons Section which is a treasure trove of useful stuff for positive people and is written in plain language.

Things can seem terribly grim when you get your diagnosis, particularly if your CD4 count is quite lite as in your case. Rest assured that everything is going to work out.

Regards,

MtD

Offline ltnXc

• "IM"possible
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
Thank you,

as far as my cd4 count.... if anyone has been in my type of situation... how long did take for your count to go up to normal...?
As i am pretty active and its kind of affecting me that i dont want to be around people because i am scared of getting sick.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:35 pm »
I had a CD4 count of 15 (5%) at one point. Once I restarted treatment it bounced up in a speedy fashion.

That's was about 4 years ago and I've still yet to get about 300, but it's enough to be going on with.

You don't really need to avoid contact with people. It's a common myth that we pozzies are susceptible to every disease out there. We're not like "the boy in the bubble" or anything like that.

The damage done to our immune systems leaves us vulnerable to a number of specific infections and cancers which don't usually affect people with normal immune function.

That said a CD4 count of 47 is pretty low. Your doctor is right to put you on Bactrim. You will need to keep taking that until you've been above 250 CD4 cells for about 3 months. If you're very concerned you can ask about Fluconazole to protect against certain fungal diseases and maybe some azithromycin too, though the latter is probably overkill considering you're on Atripla.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »
Welcome to the forums . Your in good hands here for information to help you find your way .

I have been poz for 25+ years and these folks teach me a thing or two now and then . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline ltnXc

• "IM"possible
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »
do the side affects of atripla dimish after a while? i just want to get back to my life.... and feel like myself again...

i havent gone through a breakdown or anything like that... my friend says that that isnt normal... i accept the fact that i am +.

But they say i need to mourn... i dont see why, he says that i am in denial .

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »
do the side affects of atripla dimish after a while? i just want to get back to my life.... and feel like myself again...

i havent gone through a breakdown or anything like that... my friend says that that isnt normal... i accept the fact that i am +.

Ok,

Atripla side effects (the weird headspace issues and the like) do settle down in a couple of weeks to a month. Once you've gotten through those it's a great med. If they haven't resolved in a month or so and you're finding them intolerable - talk to your doctor. There are heaps of other combos available.

Your friend says you need to mourn? For what? You're not dead. Is your friend HIV positive?

MtD

Offline ltnXc

• "IM"possible
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »
yes he is positive not so much of support tho.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »

Tell him to shut up and stop with the psychological projection.  Just because he would have a mental breakdown if diagnosed is no reason to assert that you should have one.  What utter nonsense.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:02:31 pm »
yes he is positive not so much of support tho.

Look I can see how some people will want "mourn" for their now lost negative lives, but that wouldn't apply to everyone.

You will come to terms with your diagnosis in your own way. In fact it's important that you find your own path in this. We each experience HIV differently and we have to make sense of that experience for ourselves.

And believe me, you will adjust to being positive. Having HIV is not the end of the world, in many ways it can be the beginning of entirely new world.

One of the good things about joining a forum like AM is you immerse yourself in a diverse community. Members here come from all over the world and are of every imaginable sexuality, gender and cultural stripe.

In fact it often helps to see yourself not as an HIV positive person on his own but as new member of a diverse and tightly knit community.

Regards,

MtD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »

i havent gone through a breakdown or anything like that... my friend says that that isnt normal...

No one can tell you how to act in this situation, your friend is doing you a disservice (although he might mean well). You are not "required" to have a breakdown, nor are you required to mourn.

Many people on here, including myself, never mourned and never had a breakdown over HIV. We jsut got on with it. I'm getting an inkling in your couple posts that you are prob strong emotionally, and you will bounce back quite well after the initial shock of it dissipates.

However, if you get to  point where you feel like you are going to break down or need to mourn, well that's fine too, so long as you recognize it for what it is and move on and not dwell on it.

And of course you can come here for help or feedback or what ever you need emotionally. You have many friends here.

BTw, Welcome :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Run4urlife

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:53:37 pm »
Hey there!

I too was diagnosed in April and although I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, I am so glad that you are here and that you have reached out for support.  What I can say for my experience in this short time that feels like an eternity is that no two experiences are the same and although we all share the commonality of being positive, no one is going to hand you a pamphlet entitled "What To Expect Now that You Are Positive" with step by step instructions enclosed.  What you will find here are the many posts from people going through exactly what you are now, some that you may relate to as well as some very sound advice, genuine care and support, and an extremely knowledgeable community ready to offer whatever guidance they can.

Now, about the medicine.  Tonight's dose will be my 12th day on Atripla and I am feeling more and more like myself everyday.  The first week was tough for me, but the last few days I am feeling better and better.  As far as side effects, they haven't been too bad and I am very hopeful that the medicines are doing what they need to to supress the virus and allow my immune system to improve.

My encouragement to you would be to focus on the upside of things and that you are making progress and taking steps in the right direction to stay healthy.  Take things as they come and allow yourself to experience feelings and emotions as you process the arrival at a new stage in life, on your own schedule and not anyone else's.  Take it one step at a time and remember there is a whole community out here that's got your back should you need us!

Run

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.