Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:41:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773179
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 291
Total: 293

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ethics Of Animal Testing For Medical Research  (Read 4728 times)

Offline tednlou2

Ethics Of Animal Testing For Medical Research
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:23:46 am »
NBC's "Rock Center" investigated chimpanzee research for medical research.  HEP C was a main focus of the research in these particular chimps.  When we discuss research here, I would bet most of us rarely think about the animals used to achieve that research. 

I know any animal suffering is necessary to help prevent human suffering.  I would feel better about it, if they were retired at some point and allowed to live a "normal" life.  Many of the chimps in U.S. laboratories are being stockpiled just in case they are needed again.  And, this is what the main focus of the story is and proposed guidelines for retirement.  Chimps are so much like humans with feelings and intelligence.     

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/46198400#46198400

The next clip shows the mental stress chimps, who have been freed, have for years.  It shows just how much they are like humans.  It also discusses current proposed legislation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/46198400#46198469

Offline freewillie99

Re: Ethics Of Animal Testing For Medical Research
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »
I'm a member of PETA: People for Eating Tasty Animals
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline contagion

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »
Lol @ freewillie

I love animals. But when it comes to testing a cure - I think apes being the closest to the human race - I'm not so sure my love in unconditional!
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
Lol @ freewillie

I love animals. But when it comes to testing a cure - I think apes being the closest to the human race - I'm not so sure my love in unconditional!

We share 97% of our DNA with chimps.  Chimps are not apes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline contagion

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:33 pm »
Yes chimps. You get my point though!
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:36 am »
We share 97% of our DNA with chimps.  Chimps are not apes.

Wolfie

Technically, chimps are apes and so are we, for that matter. We're all part of the Hominidae family as are gorillas and orang-utans. And bonobos. Can't forget the horny bonobos. :)

The Hominidae (anglicized hominids, also known as great apes), as the term is used here, form a taxonomic family, including four extant genera: chimpanzees (Pan), gorillas (Gorilla), humans (Homo), and orangutans (Pongo).

I used to love learning the classification (kingdom ... family, genus, species etc) of different plants and animals when I was a teenager. Yep, I was that geek in science class.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 07:04:47 am »
Some of the video footage in the second link provided by Ted was posted in the forums back when it first came out. The bit where the chimps stand on the threshold of the doorway of their hut and start hugging each other in joy over their new-found freedom never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It's so touching.

Most of the research done on animals today is unnecessary. I think that it should only be done when there is absolutely no possible alternative. I also think these animals should be permitted to retire after (say) twenty years of service - ten would be better. They should not be stock-piled until their death. That's just horrible.

That's not to say I'm not grateful for the advances in medicine that they have made possible. I am. They're heroes. It's humbling to know that chimps may be partly responsible for allowing me to be cured of hep C and I am forever in their debt.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.