Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 503
Total: 503

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Doc?  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Grinch

New Doc?
« on: June 15, 2007, 09:27:27 pm »
  Well my wife made my appointment to get bloods checked and to discuss maybe trying Atripla...traveling with Kaletra is difficult at times.
He wants me to see his new fellow as well.  This got me thinking,  I've only had one ID doc the 3 plus years I've been being treated.  I trust this Doc more than any Doc I've ever met.  Unfortunately I'm no longer interesting.  The CD4 is no longer 15.  The Cancer seems gone.  The Hep B and C seem completely gone.  To the point they've said I seem to have cleared it.  I didn't realize that was even possible, though considering how much chemo they dumped into my bloodstream and spinal fluid I guess anythings possible.  How attached does everyone get to their docs?  I can't even stand the thought of switching!

Granted he didn't say he wanted me to switch.  He just wants his new fellow to be there as well, But that got this whole thought process rolling.

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
Re: New Doc?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:37:40 pm »
Grinch,
It took me 3 Doctors to find the one I truly like.  She is awesome.  My suggestion is to shop around.  Yes, shopping around is a bitch but let me tell you it could end up making the difference. 
Bill
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline allanq

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:22:33 pm »
Grinch,
It's not clear to me what you meant when you said, "He wants me to see his new fellow as well."

Does that mean he wants you to see both him and this new fellow? Is he telling you that he can no longer be your doctor?

Maybe you just need to talk to him to ask him exactly what he meant and to let him know that you trust him and would like to continue being his patient.

Allan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 05:44:43 am »
Grinch,

Are you at a teaching hospital by chance? If you are, this "new fellow" is probably an underling who your regular doc is training. My clinic is in a teaching hospital and while my consultant remains the same, I often see doctors who are below him. After every clinic the consultants on duty get together with the learners on duty to make sure everyone is on the same page. It's worked well so far. The only time it hasn't for me is when I ended up having to see a different consultant, as opposed to a learner who was under my own consultant. The "learners" are qualified doctors who simply need more experience before they become consultants in their own right. They've got to get the experience somewhere!

Try to remember that it's not so much that you have become uninteresting, but that there are probably other patients who are having problems who need your experienced doctor's attention. If your clinic set-up is similar to mine, it means that if you do become "interesting" again, you can be sure that your regular doctor's time isn't being taken up by more routine cases and he will have time for you. It's the bigger picture.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Grinch

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 08:07:02 am »
My post was confusing, I had a zillion thoughts running through my head, school, work etc.  Sorry.

I am at a teaching hospital and I'm sure he wants to introduce me to his new fellow.  It just struck me when I found out that the fellow would be tagging along, that this Doc, who I find to be one of the very best Doc's I've ever met, might not always be there for me.  He might move on.  The thought scares the crap out of me.  How does everyone handle such a thing?

The "not interesting" comment actually came from the Oncology doc that hand picked this ID doc.  The Onc, is one of the leading experts in Burkitts lymphoma, he mentioned one day, after his fellow became an attending, that I was no longer interesting, I didn't have active Lymphoma, I actually had CD4's , the whole hep clearing thing, the spontaneous sub-dural hematomas had quit, etc etc. and passed me on to the fellow newly promoted to attending.
That one actually felt like a graduation of sorts. The King of Oncology passed me on down because I was saved.

Bottom line, someday, some where I'll either fall over dead, or the ID Doc extraordinaire will move on.  The latter scares me more than the former!

edit to add:  For those that may be confused about the term "fellow"  Some docs attend a fellowship program in a specialty area.  This is after internship and residency.  I work with them in Heart Cath labs quite often.  They are full blown MD's that are serving a kind of apprenticeship under a very respected or experienced doc in their chosen specialty.  They work for up to 4 years like near slaves for very little pay.  More than residents to be sure but still not all that much.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:18:33 am by Grinch »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 08:27:18 am »
Grinch,

As I suspected, your clinic system is very similar to mine - only the titles the various doctors in their various stages are different. The "fellows" or "registrars" or "learners" - whatever you wish to call them - are the ones who move on the most often at my clinic.

It does worry me sometimes that my consultant may decide to move on, especially in light of the negative experience I've had on occasion with some of the other consultants.

But, as my consultant seems to be staying put for an indefinite amount of time, I try to not dwell on the "whatiffs" the future may bring. I've got enough stress in my life without worrying about something that may never happen - in my lifetime. I just take each appointment as it comes and I keep learning all I can about hiv and its treatments so I can always be my own best advocate, no matter who my consultant might be someday.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 03:07:40 pm »
Hey Grinch,

Yes, I've been through this as well. I get the "do you mind if so-and-so sits in?" I don't mind. Sometimes they ask questions I forget to ask.

As for switching doctors, I have been forced to because of changes in insurance in the past. Hated it. I had a doc I really liked, my first.

Unfortunately, I had to switch because my new insurance company wouldn't cover anything or anyone at the hospital at which she worked. It sucked.

Nowadays, they don't have a choice, insurance companies I mean. There is only one doc in this area. The next closest is 200 miles away.

Of course, now this doc is taliking about retiring. So I could end up driving myself that 200 miles for each appointment anyway. Did that before and, in the winter, it isn't fun.

Anyway, enjoy your "fellow."

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Grinch

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:57:40 pm »
Well...the "fellow" is a she... maybe she's Hawt!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.