Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Another study . . .  (Read 5541 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Another study . . .
« on: January 20, 2012, 10:56:49 am »
 . . . that talks a bit about survivor's guilt, but also focuses on my (or should I say our) generation as well.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/01/20/us-study-sexual-minority-stress-risk-for-older-gays/

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Another study . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
Some men were affected by losing peers to AIds
what a crazy caption to that picture. ::) "some" seems to be inappropriate.

I can't imagine that any gay man, aged 44-75, has gotten by in life without being "affected by losing peers to AIds" (which by the way, has the typo of not capitalizing the 'D' and 'S' in AIDS). There's a pretty big hole in that time range with a lot of "missing" gay men, so that any gay man (regardless of status), in the range of 45 and up, sure ought to realize that they are affected by the loss of those people. (I might even venture to say that any gay man 35 and up ought to be able to realize that there's a lot of missing gay men of a certain age; but that could just be my wishful thinking.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:41:35 pm »
I don't stress about aging.  I'm grateful for it.  Being told at 21 that you could possibly live to be 30 sure changes the mindset about it.

I also don't think we can always avoid the survivor's guilt that arises from time to time. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:08:37 pm »
Well, I didn't come Out & Proud  as a Gay men until I was 32 w/ teh AIDS, so when I started losing peers, BFs, and everyone as being new to the gay scene, and I must say back then, it was a bit overwhelming, as I found myself being a caregiver and watching others die, so yeah , I can relate to whole  -sexual-minority-stress-risk-for-older-gays , cause I'm an old fart, I should have died yrs ago, but that didn't happen ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:24 pm »
Mark,

Another study telling us what we already know.  However, the issue of being validated by society by recognition of your relationships really hit home for Stephen and I.  It is THE final reason that we decided to move back to Canada.  I knew that equal rights for gays, in the states, would not happen in my lifetime and I wasn't willing to wait.  We were lucky in that I had that option and I can't tell you how different it is, to just be us, two married guys and to be treated just like everyone else.

Joe

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:15 pm »
I agree, much of the study was full of things we already knew, but, if the general public starts to be aware of this, it might help.

Well, I can dream, can't I.  :o

I don't worry about aging, in fact, I relish it. I have found it surprisingly liberating in some ways.

But, I do worry about the day, should it come, that I can't care for myself, which was something they did bring up in the study.

And we just keep on keeping on.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:42 pm »

Oh don't worry Mark, we'll just buy a large compound and pool all of our money together and  invite whomever we want and live out the rest of ours days in LGBT- older AIDS bliss  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:20 pm »
I don't worry about aging, in fact, I relish it. I have found it surprisingly liberating in some ways.
this year on my bday in March when I turn 50, I'll be celebrating 14 yrs since I was in the hospital with a group of doctors telling me that would probably be the last bday I ever had. ::)  ;D

In spite of any and all other issues I have (like the daily sadness that resides within me because all my friends and my two partners are now all long gone), I love getting older every year.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
we'll just buy a large compound and pool all of our money together and  invite whomever we want and live out the rest of ours days in LGBT- older AIDS bliss  ;)
tick, tick, tick
we better get working on this plan soon. None of us are getting any younger. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »

I agree.   The things that used to consume my time and stress me when I was younger don't seem nearly as important.  Maybe it's just a matter of accumulating life experiences, and getting a better understanding of what really matters to me. 

But, I do worry about the day, should it come, that I can't care for myself, which was something they did bring up in the study.

Me too.  :(

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline harleymc

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:58:14 am »
"endangering the mental health of middle-aged and older gay men."

That horrible era when we were dealing with multiple deaths of significant others per week.... aaaaaargh. Then to top it off we were also caring for others and lobbying when our own health was seriously compromised. Mix in economic stress and some really blatent discrimination and violence.

I reckon that all things considered we've done rather well, I tip my hat to us all!
Well done us!

It's all right to miss our loved ones. Memories of them can also give us a smile, comfort us and strengthen our will.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:56:43 pm »
"endangering the mental health of middle-aged and older gay men."

That horrible era when we were dealing with multiple deaths of significant others per week.... aaaaaargh. Then to top it off we were also caring for others and lobbying when our own health was seriously compromised. Mix in economic stress and some really blatent discrimination and violence.

I reckon that all things considered we've done rather well, I tip my hat to us all!
Well done us!

It's all right to miss our loved ones. Memories of them can also give us a smile, comfort us and strengthen our will.

I agree, hats off to us!

HUGS,

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.