Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 338
Total: 340

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: foot pain  (Read 5941 times)

Offline webster

foot pain
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »
i've read a few postings and some information about hiv and foot pain.  i have been experiencing severe foot pain for the last 4 months which travels around the foot.  it seems to have started in the other foot now.
i have been on atripla for 1-1/2 years and my viral load is undetectable.  my general health is good and my energy levels have increased over the last year to pre infection levels. 
i have seen a podiatrist twice about the pain and was told it was tendon damage.  i had no incident that caused the original pain.
i just would like to see if others who are positive and in good health and/or using atripla have had any severe foot pain.

Offline dnlglss

Re: foot pain
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:38:46 am »
http://
:D :D
[/tt]

Offline dnlglss

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:29 am »
sorry about other posting new to this site and having a little problem figuring post settings out. But I have been Poz since 89 and in the last 7 years have had to change professions and limit my activities due to foot pain and also working its way to leg. I have been on Atripla now 4 about one and half years and its seems to have made the problem a little worst. It gets to the point where I am limping around most the day. I haven't found anything to help the problem would be very interested in solution if you come up with one.[

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 02:51:12 pm »
sorry about other posting new to this site and having a little problem figuring post settings out. But I have been Poz since 89 and in the last 7 years have had to change professions and limit my activities due to foot pain and also working its way to leg. I have been on Atripla now 4 about one and half years and its seems to have made the problem a little worst. It gets to the point where I am limping around most the day. I haven't found anything to help the problem would be very interested in solution if you come up with one.[

Atripla was only FDA approved in July 12, 2006 so you couldn't have been on it for 4.5 years. It hasn't been out that long.

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:20:10 pm »
Atripla was only FDA approved in July 12, 2006 so you couldn't have been on it for 4.5 years. It hasn't been out that long.

mmmmhhhh.... read it again:

"I have been on Atripla now 4 about one and half years "

that makes it 1.5 years to me...

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:10:39 pm »
frenchpat, excuse me for not seeing the abbreviated computer text that was used in his post. 

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:38:33 pm »
In terms of whether this is ARV related, it is important to note that peripheral neuropathy is almost always bilateral (from the begiinning) ie affects both sides at the same time. As for no obvious cause of a tendon injury, I broke my toe just wearing some ill fitting trainers and it took 6 weeks to be functionally better (still not quite better), it's not that hard to injure your foot/leg.

The only drug in Atripla which *may* occasionally be related to peripheral neuropathy is FTC (emtracitabine). This is uncommon though.

Apparent neurological pain can be circulatory and/or caused by various things eg alcohol, smoking, amphetamines, deficiency of vitamins B12 and E and other illnesses like diabetes etc etc etc. If all other causes are eliminated then it is either HIV/the consequences of long term HIV infection or the drugs. But other causes must be eliminated first. It's the only way to tell with reasonable certainty.

Acetyl-L-carnitine (Alcar) may help. If it is related to posture an osteopath might help too.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:29:52 am »
frenchpat, excuse me for not seeing the abbreviated computer text that was used in his post. 

no apology needed. At least not to me.

And back to the topic:

Webster, as Matt said, checking your posture and perhaps correcting it could be part of the answer. I would like to add that if it is tendon damage you have, some of it may be repaired by having massage. Some techniques help in rebuilding the tendon by stimulating collagen production. Worth checking too.

Hope this helps

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline DaBear

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 12:19:46 am »
Funny you should mention this. I Started Atripla 1 month ago. About 10 days into it I developed the rash and at the same time my feet started to feel strange. I even mentioned this in my other post. It is sort of like when you take a long plane ride and they fall asleep. It is now noticable all the time. Not really sever pain per se but tingling and numbness. It has become uncomfortable to put shoes on at times and this is in both feet. I am going to call my Dr tomorrow and check in with him. I have searched the net and found that it is uncommon however not unheard of for one of the meds in Atripla to cause neuropathy.

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:58:11 am »
DaBear.

I had this too starting a couple weeks after starting Truvada.  It has eased a bit.  It's almost like edema with numbness.  Did they get red and a little puffy too?  Does it come and go?

Offline DaBear

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
Hello folks,

Just checking in.  LT Survivir, it is sort of like that but we think we have figure it out. Please excuse the lack of using the correct technical terms but here we go. We (the doctor and I) believe that it has to do with my sleeping. We think that because of the very vivid dreams I am tensing my feet and straining the area where the muscle and tendon meet causing inflammation around the ankles. I have started taking ibuprofen when I wake up and it really helps. The dreams are still very vivid. I have been taking an Ambien each night and it  helps greatly. I actually sleep and feel rested.  I also have started to keep a log of my sleep pattern. Logging what I dreamt of and rating my night sleep and also writing what I was doing shortly before bed. It is still too early to see if there is any correlation between what I do before bed on the nights that I have the nightmares.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.