Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:00:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 669
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 669
Total: 669

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Triumeq - exacerbating my depression?  (Read 8884 times)

Offline Planetary86

Triumeq - exacerbating my depression?
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:54:16 am »
I started Triumeq since been diagnosed with HIV back in 2015, at the time this was suggested due to having a low cardiovascular risk profile as I also have Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome and mixed hyperlipidaemia.

At my last appointment with the HIV clinic (April, 2020) I discussed my chronic depression and how I have particularly been struggling with low mood, suicidal thoughts and extreme anxiety especially over the last 12 months. I have, at times, acted upon these thoughts in forms of overdoses and suicide attempts, however, I haven’t attempted anything for a while but my depression is as bad as ever. This seems to be compounded by an extreme lack of energy, general body aches and pains, insomnia, short temper, anger, foggy head, and forgetfulness, which, at times, has impacted my ability to work.

During this consultation the doctor told me that a component of Triumeq, dolutegravir, has been associated with low mood and insomnia. Not wanting to rock the boat too much as Triumeq and my HIV care in general tends to be the most stable thing in my life right now, I agreed to start taking the Triumeq in the morning as I have been taking it around 8pm every evening since starting. In the few weeks that I have been taking the tablet in the morning, coupled with a change of antidepressant from Venlafaxine to Mirtazipine in evening, my insomnia seems to be better. However, my mood is still effecting me hugely and has got to the point that I really do not like who I am anymore and even people around me have commented on how bad my mood is.  I have noticed that taking the Triumeq in the morning has helped with insomnia but the few hours after taking Triumeq I feel my mood is effected and then lifts a little a few hours after ingestion. I feel that this could be purely psychological and coincidental but I am acutely aware of it every day.

Triumeq is certainly working very well virologically but I feel after having tried psychological therapies, change in antidepressants, exercise and diet changes, Triumeq is the last thing to change to try and help combat all that I have mentioned. I have been reading online that the depressive effects of Triumeq have been associated with people who have not been otherwise diagnosed with depression, however, I am aware that people tend to react differently to medications and I wonder if Triumeq serves to exacerbate my low mood.

Anybody with existing mental health problems and on Triumeq had any troubles? or have any advice or success stories with other ARTs?

Cheers,
T

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Triumeq - exacerbating my depression?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:21:26 am »
Hiya

Sorry to hear what you have been going through.

So in April 2020 the doctor pointed out taking the meds in the morning...
Tad late news after 5 years and you should not have been left to manage this for 5 years either. Plenty of drug choices, what one is depending on your resistance profile and needs.

DTG is great but not everyone cup of tea. In a small group of people, it may worsen depression and for some cause insomnia, although it has been shown to be less when taking the meds in the morning, your doctor is correct if not late with that info. It may take a few weeks to see if switching to the AM is going to help you.

I would talk to your doctor again the next time you can, and if needed work out switching drugs and what would suit you.

Take it easy.

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/article/tivicay-component-triumeq-may-rare-severe-depression-side-effect

https://www.poz.com/article/morning-dosing-tivicay-may-ease-insomnia-side-effect
https://www.poz.com/article/tivicay-linked-greater-insomnia-compared-hiv-meds
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:23:48 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Planetary86

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:28:48 am »
Thanks for the swift reply Jim.

I emailed my HIV pharmacist and she has recommended Abacavir/ Lamivudine + Raltegravir. I think this is a old combination and it would mean going from single tablet regime to taking three-a-day.

Never easy is it!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:49:39 am by Planetary86 »

Offline wardp

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:32:23 am »
I had horrible time on dtg 100% loss of appetite mood swings depression, 2 days after been taking off it I was fine' dtg is not for everyone and why suffer as Jim said''
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 12:26:33 pm »
Thanks for the swift reply Jim.

I emailed my HIV pharmacist and she has recommended Abacavir/ Lamivudine + Raltegravir. I think this is a old combination and it would mean going from single tablet regime to taking three-a-day.

Never easy is it!

Raltegravir is from 2007, it's not old just proven and age does not mean much.

The other two drugs you are already taking and they are older. 3TC from 95 I think and ABC has been around longer than that.

Look side effects, choices are generally to either manage them or if it's unmanageable to switch.

Taking 3 pills a day instead of 1 adds 20 seconds to your routine, I know it's not something that everyone likes doing and not always that simple but if you are saying the side effects are unmanageable and this is what they can offer I would at least be giving it a try for a few months.

If nothing changes then you can always switch back to something with DTG. 

Best, Jim

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:37:19 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Planetary86

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:10:49 pm »
Thanks Jim for the insight.

You’re right. In some silly way it feels like going backwards in treatment due to many regimes now being single pill. And I guess it’s the same drugs that are in all the other regimes just split. I’ve never had any problems with adherence so I’m not sure there would a significant lifestyle change.

I’ve got nothing to lose!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 04:12:42 am »
Well just to clarify from a practical sense it's no real difference but for some people moving to multiple pills can be a struggle or an emotional event, I'm not dismissing that.

Anyhow, considering the situation you are in it's worth a try and keep us posted on how you get on.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Planetary86

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 10:41:12 am »
Sooooo an update...

After lots of deliberation I decided that I did want to change meds to see if if changes my mood, if in part a just a little.

After being recommended to switch from single pill regime to multiple pill regime my doctor told me that Biktarvy had just been added to the NHS formulary and that this single pill regime might be suitable alternative.

So now taking Biktarvy in the mornings, such a smaller pill compared to Triumeq, a lot easier to swallow!

Mood wise I think I am feeling less groggy and have a bit more energy and feeling good. Whether this will last or continue to improve, who knows? But the doctor advised that I can switch back to Triumeq if needed.

I will have some bloods done in a couple months to make sure its not effecting me in any other way as my ALT has always been high on Triumeq too.

Anyone had any experiences with Biktarvy?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.