Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 09:45:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773516
  • Total Topics: 66380
  • Online Today: 449
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Creatinine levels  (Read 6584 times)

Offline newbie92

Creatinine levels
« on: February 18, 2022, 07:14:38 pm »
Hi guys! Life has been pretty great to say the least. I’ve been taking triumeq for years and I was doing well. I just switched over to Dovato maybe December late November 2021 because my doctor said it was a good option. My doctor noticed since 3/2019 my kidney function has been decreasing. Creatinine has been about 1.3 and my BUN/creatinine is between 6-8. I’m a 30 y/o black female and I’ve have HIV for about 8 years it just sucks to go through this when I thought everything was going so well. Has anyone else have experience or any advice in this department? Hope everybody is doing well and thriving!

Offline Almost2late

Re: Creatinine levels
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 04:31:09 am »
Hello Newbie :)

I think your doctor is making a good call eliminating the Abacavir portion of your treatment.. less stress on your kidneys, as long as it keeps your viral load in check, it shouldn't be an issue.

I also have switched from Triumeq to Dovato about 3 months ago, and noticed a couple of improvements right away.. no nausea after taking the pill, and my urine doesn't smell as bad as it used to.

Now I used to have a problem with my kidney/creatine levels back when I was on Truvada and Tivicay as treatment. But it improved when I got on Triumeq. I hope to see more improvements now that I'm on Dovato.

What's important to know is that kidney functions can improve. I remember worrying about it a lot because I didn't know that.

Are you also drinking plenty of water? Lots of people forget that.

Here's a link with tips on how to take care of your kidneys.. can't say I always follow it but I try. Sometimes it's as simple as a couple of lifestyle changes. Hope your numbers improve on your next labs.

https://www.healthline.com/health/kidney-health

Offline newbie92

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 08:28:12 am »
Hey Almost2late,

Thanks so much for the reply! I don’t exercise, but I am not overweight. I weigh about 120. I’m going to start exercising! It’s just a huge shock to me because in 2014 my egfr was a 94 and since then it just started to decrease every time. I got diagnosed in March of 2014 so maybe it’s related to the HIV or the medication. I hope and pray my numbers improve soon! Thanks for the kind words.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 03:47:22 pm »
Bump.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline newbie92

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:35 am »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 01:01:11 pm »
Bumping the thread. I'm posting in it with the only reason to move it to the top so it gets attention

Will PM you when I finish my shift at work
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 09:31:43 pm »
My serum creatinine levels increased when I was on the Tenofovir based regimes, Complera and Biktarvy. Peaked just over 1.3. My Doctor switched to to the equivalent of Triumeq and within two weeks my levels were back within range. According to my Dr the drugs in Triumeq do not impact the kidneys, so your Dovato should also be a safe option, although obviously for you it may not be.

The advice I was given whilst taking Complera was to just increase my water intake, I was drinking 6-8 litres a day in the end. My levels were relatively stable but with a very slow increase at the end of 5 1/2 years. How is your water intake, do you take any other medication? Even some over the counter products can impact kidney function.

Hope you resolve the issue.

Offline newbie92

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 10:56:51 pm »
My serum creatinine levels increased when I was on the Tenofovir based regimes, Complera and Biktarvy. Peaked just over 1.3. My Doctor switched to to the equivalent of Triumeq and within two weeks my levels were back within range. According to my Dr the drugs in Triumeq do not impact the kidneys, so your Dovato should also be a safe option, although obviously for you it may not be.

The advice I was given whilst taking Complera was to just increase my water intake, I was drinking 6-8 litres a day in the end. My levels were relatively stable but with a very slow increase at the end of 5 1/2 years. How is your water intake, do you take any other medication? Even some over the counter products can impact kidney function.

Hope you resolve the issue.

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the reply! So idk if my medication has and/or had tenofovir in it, honestly. And I was on Triumeq probably since 2017 so it has been awhile. I looked at my lab work and saw in 2014 right before I started treatment my creatinine was 0.99 and my eGFR was 94. The switch to Dovato was to just eliminate the abacavir. I do have asthma so I have inhalers. I feel like I do drink water, but probably not enough. I’m going to drink a 1.5L and increase my fiber and hope and pray that helps me. I’m 30. I’m too young for kidney issues😫

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 11:38:43 pm »
Hey Almost2late,

Thanks so much for the reply! I don’t exercise, but I am not overweight. I weigh about 120. I’m going to start exercising! It’s just a huge shock to me because in 2014 my egfr was a 94 and since then it just started to decrease every time. I got diagnosed in March of 2014 so maybe it’s related to the HIV or the medication. I hope and pray my numbers improve soon! Thanks for the kind words.
You're very welcome ;)
All you can do now is take good care of yourself and trust in your doctor. Like Dave mentioned water is very important to flush out toxins, and not just from meds, but processed foods too. I so much miss salami and pastrami :( ;D..

Please keep us posted on your next labs, I'm betting you'll turn them numbers around.

Offline newbie92

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 09:27:27 am »
You're very welcome ;)
All you can do now is take good care of yourself and trust in your doctor. Like Dave mentioned water is very important to flush out toxins, and not just from meds, but processed foods too. I so much miss salami and pastrami :( ;D..

Please keep us posted on your next labs, I'm betting you'll turn them numbers around.

Thank you for the kind words and having faith in me! I can definitely do better and I will! I’ll keep you guys posted for sure.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.