Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: how do i gain back my muscle mass?!  (Read 21059 times)

Offline bryan21

how do i gain back my muscle mass?!
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:49:13 am »
okay so i tested poz like 2 mths ago.
but i may have had it for like over a yr.(that s when i was with tha person that gave it to me)
and i didnt really notice how much muscle i have lost untill it was to late.
so i was wondering what i could do to help get it back?
normally i weigh about 170-175 and now im like 150-160
 my waist has always been around 32-33 and now its down to like a 30!
i have always had a great body kinda buff (kinda)
and now i look skinny..
i have been doing push up s and shit..but they make me really tired so idk if that s the best thing for me to do?
im not on meds (yet) hopefully they wont put me on any
and ever since i found out i have been eating better and watchin protein from meat and plant sources

Offline DDGB

Re: how do i gain back my muscle mass?!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:33:41 am »
Do you know what your CD4 count is? I know for a fact that most people gain back the weight when they start meds...i know i did (it freaked me out for a while, i was certain i'd just get fat! but i didnt, your body just bounces back to what it was before you got sick).  Just carry on eating a healthy diet with lots of protein (being the buidling blocks of the body), fibre and grains, fruits and veg and essential oils and you'll be just fine.  Best of luck!

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:46:11 pm »
focus on your health and getting your strength back.  eating protein doesn't = gaining muscle.  working out does.  of course you need to pay close attn to your nutrition/protein intake either way.   
since you lost about 10% of your body weight, you can address the issue of anabolics with your doctor.  I requested them after losing 10%+ of my body weight and they've helped tremendously but I also work out 3x/week. educate yourself on the side effects if you go this route.

good luck!

Offline bryan21

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 11:55:51 pm »
okay im going to a comprehensive care center..
so is that okay or do i need to find a doctor
like they said when i go on monday for blood results that a group of doctors will meet with me..

Offline edfu

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:24:45 am »
How tall are you, bryan?  That is an essential consideration when determining a person's ideal weight.  However, I'd love to have a 30-inch waist...again!   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline bryan21

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 12:28:00 am »
im like 5 11 with out shoes 6 foot with shoes
and not me ive never had a 30 inch waist its always been a 32 inches and now 32 falls off of me almost

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:42 am »
However, I'd love to have a 30-inch waist...again!   

Fat chance, Marge.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline edfu

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 12:46:21 am »
Well, it was 30" until I turned 40.  I'm 5'8".  Now, in my retired curmudgeonry, it's 33".  Not that bad.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline edfu

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 12:56:22 am »
Bryan, you're really not far off at all, if even perfect, for a 21-year-old who is 5'11".  The ideal weight for you would be 155-160.  The recommended weight is 146-178.  I'm sure you'll get some weight back soon if you eat healthy.  Doing regular exercise will also help, but you've got to be sure not to overdo it at first.  Your "kinda buff" body should easily return at your age.  Best wishes...and keep us posted about your test results.   

Offline Nestor

• What we love, we shall grow to resemble.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:50:19 am »

I've been dealing with loss of muscle mass also.  In fact, I never had much muscle mass to begin with, but I was recently ill for three and a half weeks and ate hardly anything during that time and my arms, which had looked normal and healthy before, were quite skinny afterwards. 

The two questions which leap to mind are, 1. to what do you attribute the loss of muscle during the past year, and 2. what kind of tiredness are you feeling after doing pushups?  Normal post-exercise tired, or something worse?  As I was just saying in another thread, I had a pretty bad first year after getting HIV, including a lot of fatigue, so this may be normal.  If you're feeling tired in a way that seems like your body saying "no, I'm not ready for this", then maybe you should listen to it and assume that what you need right now is rest, but if it's normal, healthy tiredness, I would try a program of exercise. 

My solution to my recent problem has been to do pushups, chinups, and a lot of yoga.  The yoga is wonderful--I recommend it to anyone--and as for the first two, after less than a month there are visible results!  The number of pushups and chinups I am actually able to do is pathetically low, but apparently even that low number does something. 
Summer 2004--became HIV+
Dec. 2005--found out

Date          CD4    %       VL
Jan. '06    725    25      9,097
Nov. '06    671    34     52,202
Apr. '07    553    30      24,270
Sept. '07  685    27       4,849
Jan. '08    825    29       4,749
Mar. '08    751    30     16,026
Aug. '08    653    30       3,108
Oct. '08     819    28     10,046
Jan '09      547    31     13,000
May '09     645   25        6,478
Aug. '09    688   30      19,571
Nov. '09     641    27       9,598
Feb. '10     638    27       4,480
May '10      687      9    799,000 (CMV)
July '10      600     21      31,000
Nov '10      682     24     15,000
June '11     563    23     210,000 (blasto)
July  '11      530    22      39,000
Aug '11      677     22      21,000
Sept. '12    747     15      14,000

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 08:39:36 am »
Bryan, just keep eating. Keep at it to stabilize your weight. Your body is wasting as it burns to fight off the infection. You need to keep fueling your body. Protein shakes, main meals, fruits, vege, ice cream, cereals....anything that you can take in, even if you have no appetite. Eventually you will know and weight training will help. Minimize cardio, you dun need to look any slimmer. Good luck!  :-*
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »
Hey I wouldnt worry too much about it...Just focus on staying healthy the rest is secondary and you are young too so you have thta going for it. Im only 27 and have struggled to keep weight on my whole life. Im always gonna be skinny lol. Just my DNA. I wont ever have a big strapping body. Im 5'11 142 lbs....Yea, the most Ive ever weighed in my life! I am starting Atripla this weeked. Good luck to you!.

Offline bryan21

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:35 pm »
hey...
yes when i went to the docs. i was weight and im back to my normal weight.
u see i got really fat over last summer so i just stopped eating (and because my teeth hurt when i ate)
so my body is kinda bouncing back im starting to regain the mass i lost so that s always good!
@newbieguy ...
honey ur 27 dont talk like ur old! u have 3 more yrs..lol.jk

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »
Between diagnosis and starting meds I lost around 15 pounds, I think this was due to my body burning so much energy trying to fight the virus. After I started meds, I gained 5 pounds within the first month, over the past year Ive picked up another 10 or 15 pounds.  I'm now 5'11'', 155ish. Although it seems Ive now leveled off as I eat alot of everything and cannot gain anymore weight.

Until you need to start meds you might consider using protein powder and several bananas a day.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Granny60

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 11:25:24 pm »
Hubby lost 20% of his body weight and never was fat.  Got down to 131 lbs. After 3 years of meds and 200 pt  rise in CD4 ( Made  300 finally!) he has gained back up to 148. Can't get the muscle back though and doctor refuses Testosterone due to past cancer and cancer risk. He eats non stop day and night. Obviously weight gain  is possible if you can get the virus under control, but desirable weight gain?  I don't know. I lost over HALF my body weight but finally gained it back after being on meds. Strength recovery? LOL. still waiting for that to happen.  :-\

Offline bryan21

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 12:58:25 am »
my viral load is like 204! an cd4 is like 513 !
so i think my body is fighting it kinda good and i have been eating alot these last few mths and
drinking ensure and things to make me fatt! lol

Offline beaconpr

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Bryan:
To loose muscle mass is normal to a body that is taking a beating (so to speak) eat right, nix fast foods, focus on protein and exersize. As soon as you get your complete labwork, work with your doctor and a nutritionist, that is key to recover lost mass... My doctor prescribed me liquid pre-protein, I also eat fresh (no canned goods) and foods with the least amounts of preservatives. As soon as you know where are you standing, take meassures. For me Yoga works wonders, settles my spirit, eases my mind and works every muscle in my body, I also swim...I do weights, but carefully...another thing watch your fat intake, don't gain weight by eating fatty crap, it will do more harm than good...
eat well, be well, stay healthy...

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 11:07:41 pm »
There are number of healthy nutritional things you can do to increase your calorie intake:
* PB&J sandwiches are high in calories, protein, carbs and healthy fats
* when making oatmeal, replace the water with skim milk and add nuts, PB and/or dried fruit for extra calories
* replace your water intake with skim milk
* Have a casein protein shake before bed. Casein is a slower-digesting protein that will keep your body nourished as you sleep
* snack on nuts, which are high in calories, protein and healthy fats + vitamins/minerals

I hope this helps!

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2010, 11:55:20 am »
lean muscle mass needs high protein low fat to be held onto HOWEVER, without a combination of resistance training  you are doing nothing more than feeding your body what it needs to maintain or GAIN from its current status.

If you felt you have lost muscle mass it will take some time in the gym. From how you describe yourself you have more trouble putting on weight than losing it.  I would say skip the cardio and hit the weights heavy til you are back to what you are comfortable with, not what everyone else feels you should be at.

Your overall health is ultimately more important than the size of your bicep or 6 pack abs.
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline peteb

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:44 pm »
protein exercise I gained all my weight back after starting meds
drink ensure the muscle will come back

Offline Nate

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 05:37:48 am »
Do like me, go to the gym as much as you can!!!

Its a bitch to make time to do, but its part of living with HIV...

And increase your calorie intake...
I take Candy from Strangers ;-p

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.