Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:47:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 646
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada and Lexiva...is this a good combo?  (Read 8277 times)

Offline HollyStar

Truvada and Lexiva...is this a good combo?
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:16:08 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm on Atripla and because of several side-effects I'm switching to Truvada and Lexiva. This is the combo my ID doctor recommened. Truvada once daily and 2 lexiva in the morning and 2 in the evening. He was going to prescribe something else but because my CD4's are in the mid 300's, we couldn't go with that  as there could be kidney problems or something (I think it may have been Viramune or Reyataz, don't really remember). So is this a good combo? Because of the dosing of the Lexiva, I don't need the meds boosted with Norvir? I tried reading the drug info on here but I need someone to put this stuff in simple terms if possible. My brain is mush sometimes, lol :-\ . Any input would be great.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Truvada and Lexiva...is this a good combo?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:27:46 am »
Holly, I took this combo at one time, and it seemed to be a good one.  The reason I no longer take it has nothing to do with its efficacy, it was because I was only taking it "when I felt like it," therefore developing resistance.  But, when I did take it regularly, it worked just fine and I don't remember having any disturbing side effects.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »
I was reading an interview with Dr. Joel Gallant in which they discussed the pros and cons of using Norvir to boost PIs and he said:

If you are one of those people -- I call them "ritonophobes" -- who just can't tolerate Norvir, even at 100 mg a day, Reyataz is probably the best PI to use. [If combined with Epzicom, not with Truvada]

With some of the other PIs, you either can't use them unboosted -- and that would be the case with Prezista, for example -- or you can use them unboosted, but you probably shouldn't. Lexiva [fosamprenavir, FPV, Telzir] is a good example, where unboosted Lexiva can lead to cross-resistance to Prezista.

You might want to ask your doctor why no Norvir boost?

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/content/confs/ias2009/art53122.html

You can also ask Dr. Gallant's opinion by asking him on his website:

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/index.html?categoryId=9352&siteId=7151

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:40:34 pm »
Oh great, I hope this doesn't mean I may be resistant to Prezista.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:33:11 pm »
What he says is vague as far as Lexiva: that you can use it unboosted but you "probably shouldn't."

I think whether one is already undetectable might make a difference, meaning if you go on it unboosted with a viral load it's probably riskier than going on it unboosted if one is already undetectable.

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:53:53 pm »
I'm confused, lol. I think one of the reasons that my doc didn't try Viramune or Reyataz is because my CD4 is low enough that it could cause kidney problems or something. I am undetectable though. I honestly can't recall a lot of what he said. I also did the med check on here for Truvada, Lexiva and Acyclovir and there were three moderate interactions. I'm supposed to start the new meds next week after I get my labs done, then I follow up with my doc in a month. Thanks for the info. It just might take a while to make sense of it.

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 12:45:20 am »
Hey Hollystar,

The manufacturers of Lexiva have just released a new warning about an increased risk of heart attack with this drug - http://www.gsk.ca/english/docs-pdf/Telzir_PA_English_Final_unsigned.pdf

Nevirapine has an increased risk of certain side effects (liver, kidney, rash) if started at with a CD4 count above 250 for women.

One of the drugs in Truvada can decrease levels of Reyataz in the blood - increasing the risk of devoping side effects.

You could ask your doctor about Isentress (Raltegravir) - now available first line in the US - very effective and safe to take with Truvada and has few side effects.  This combination involves taking one tablet twice a day.

Here is a cool resource for women with HIV - http://napwa.org.au/resource/treat-yourself-right

all the best
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 12:49:26 pm »
Holly Star: As Tempeboy said, Isentress/Truvada is a very good option for you. Since Isentress is a newer drug your doctor may want to keep it in the back burner for future use but it seems to be an excellent one.

There are many threads on here discussing it, you can search and read through them if you like.

I just started Isentress/Truvada recently (my first combo) and I am experiencing zero side effects. For now it is taken twice a day but in the future, maybe soon, it may be available as once a day.

It is a very potent drug but it does have a low barrier of resistance, meaning only one mutation and it won't work, so the important thing would be to make sure to combine it with two active drugs, which in your case Truvada seems to fit this bill and also to make sure not to miss any doses.

I think you can also ask Dr. Gallant what he thinks, I put his link in one of my posts above.

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:29:43 pm »
Inchlingblue, thank you for that link. I went ahead and posted a question. This is Dr. Gallant's response. Needless to say, I put a call in to the clinic today and asked why I'm not getting boosted with Norvir. My ID doc should hopefully call me tomorrow. Thanks again.

Lexiva and Truvada, is this a good combo?

Posted on Aug 8, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello, I have been taking Atripla for several months now and I'm going to be switching to Lexiva and Truvada in about a week, due to undesirable side-effects. My ID doctor considered Viramune or Reyataz at first but decided against it. My CD4 is about 339 and my VL is undetectable. My questions are, is Lexiva and Truvada a good combo? Should it be boosted with Norvir? And why would the doctor decide against the other medications? Thanks.

On Aug 8, 2009 Joel E. Gallant, M.D., M.P.H. replied:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that Lexiva should always be boosted with Norvir to prevent resistance. Resistance to Lexiva can result in cross-resistance to Prezista, but you're unlikely to develop resistance with any boosted PI.

I generally prefer boosted Prezista or Reyataz over Lexiva, because there are more data for Prezista and Reyata. However, I have no objections to Lexiva, as long as its boosted.

If you have a question about this answer, you may post a follow-up question.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:20:49 pm »
Thanks for updating us on that. Gallant is a very cautious doctor. , I have found that some doctors take more chances with treatment sometimes.  Gallant is one of the world's foremost authorities on HIV treatment. There's a section of his website that is open only to other doctors who ask him for advice, so whatever Gallant says carries a lot of weight.

You should also consider Isentress, as long as you can be adherent and don't mind twice a day dosing, it's a really excellent drug and doesn't require the Norvir boost. Lexiva/Norvir/Truvada is also good though. Why your doctor ruled out Reyataz and Prezista is vague, these are both good, Gallant even said he prefers them over Lexiva.

Let's put it this way, we should be grateful we have choices since there are those who don't.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:31:23 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:42 am »
i started my treatment using truvada lexiva and norvir about 2 yrs ago and this was the first combo that brought to be undectectable!!!In the past 18 yrs i had tried so many combos with no results and with very bad side effects,so for me this combo is excellent!!

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 04:31:39 pm »
Hi all,

I just talked to my ID doc and I'm going to trust him on this one. He said that he still considers me to be treatment naive, even though I have been on Atripla, but I didn't fail the combo. And, being as my VL was extremely low to begin with (before meds), he thinks that the unboosted Lexiva should be fine. He also said that a lot of people have trouble with Norvir as it can make any GI problems from the PI's worse. The Lexiva would be 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening. He did say that some doctors don't like the unboosted Lexiva but I stated his reasons for not prescibing it above. Thanks everyone for your input. It's just what I needed to wrap my head around all this. It's nice when a moment of clarity comes by, lol.

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:53:07 pm »
Well, I just picked up my new meds and will most likely be starting them in a few days. But holy crap are they pricey! I thought Atripla being $1,700 was bad but these new meds are around $2,800 total a month! These insurance companies must hate people like us!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:32:24 pm »
Well, I just picked up my new meds and will most likely be starting them in a few days. But holy crap are they pricey! I thought Atripla being $1,700 was bad but these new meds are around $2,800 total a month! These insurance companies must hate people like us!

Wow and that's without the Norvir? Norvir is pretty pricey so it would have been way more.

Those insurance companies make huge profits and their executives are highly compensated. I imagine they'd like to kick out all those with chronic conditions so they can make even more profits.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.