Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:22:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 317
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Herpetic Whitlow - anyone heard of this  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Plus30

Herpetic Whitlow - anyone heard of this
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:21:47 pm »
I am poz since 2007 - and have had genital herpes since 2003. The herpes was not a big issue until I was positive - in fact that is kind of how I knew i was positive because I had a even worse outbreak than my first one.

About a year into being poz I had a small water blister on my foot that wouldn't break. I tired. Eventually it went away - but then there was another -and another. Then half the bottom of my foot was covered. My doctor at the time had no idea what it was and gave me clortimazole. This oddly did help. As years passed I also developed the blisters on my fingers, mostly on the sides of my knuckles or closer to the nail bed, and corners of my palms.

All this time later I have looked it up on my own, but since switching doctors in 2011 have found it to be called herpetic whitlow. It generally is found to be in the fingers but can be in other areas. I can understand getting it on my fingers, but my foot - just one foot too. I'm asking about it now because for all this time I have had my fingers and one foot affected by it, but today there is an outbreak of it on my elbow - of all places.

Treatments seem few. I have been on acyclovir and take it when needed. I seem to urinate too much if I take it daily. I was on valtrex but it was too strong and I was getting the Whitlow outbreaks anyway - though I didn't get genital outbreaks.

It's just frustrating, another thing on top of everything else. Another thing that makes me feel gross and defective and scared for what can happen to me in the future. If anyone has any information or knows about this please let me know. Thanks.
...............CD4   %    VL
05/04/07   Tested Positive
10/24/07   343   18   141,000
03/12/08   327   17   120,000
05/08/08   286   13   16,529  Started Atripla
07/16/08   325   14   282 
10/14/08   317   19   72
06/10/09   392   21   <48
04/15/10   385   23   <48 New Dr
09/10/10   430   33   <48
11/29/10   540   28   <20
04/11/11   580   29   <20
06/24/11   465   31   70
01/06/12   427   26   <20
04/12/12   378   23   <20 Change to Truvada/Viramune
05/15/12   461   30   <20
10/02/12   678   28   <20
02/22/13   720   27   <20

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Herpetic Whitlow - anyone heard of this
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:32:19 pm »
Just checking... Are you sure its related to your herpes??
There is a skin condition called Dyshidrotic eczema.  I had it as a young teenager, very severe, hands and feet. I lost all the outer skin on my fingers, including my fingerprints! (which reformed when I healed, by the way...)  Two severe outbreaks. Doctors diagnosed it as such, and said it was stress and anxiety related. 

I never got it severely after those teen years, but it would come back mildly during periods of stress until my late 20's.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 01:13:59 am »
I have been on acyclovir and take it when needed. I seem to urinate too much if I take it daily.
I have a recurring herpes zoster outbreak on the middle finger of my left hand. It's usually centered in the finger but has spread to up under the nail and on the other side down to the fleshy part of my palm. The treatment for this is daily acyclovir (or sometimes every-other-day acyclovir) to prevent the breakouts.

Maybe there's something you can take to help relieve the excessive urination. Or perhaps you can learn to live with it ;) the benefits of NO painful, unsightly outbreaks (along with not being contagious to others by not having outbreaks) along with the mild antiretroviral effect might be worth having to pee a lot.  ;) Not to mention how each outbreak stresses your already stressed immune system :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Plus30

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 12:29:13 pm »
the mild antiretroviral effect might be worth having to pee a lot.  ;) Not to mention how each outbreak stresses your already stressed immune system :(

yeah I might try to take it every other day to see how that works, and if I feel I'm urinating too much I'll back off for a bit. I'm just very opposed to all the medicine chemicals I'm putting into my body at this point.

I'm not totally sure this new outbreak is herpes related, but it looks just like the others. I see my Dr it two weeks so hopefully can get more answers.
...............CD4   %    VL
05/04/07   Tested Positive
10/24/07   343   18   141,000
03/12/08   327   17   120,000
05/08/08   286   13   16,529  Started Atripla
07/16/08   325   14   282 
10/14/08   317   19   72
06/10/09   392   21   <48
04/15/10   385   23   <48 New Dr
09/10/10   430   33   <48
11/29/10   540   28   <20
04/11/11   580   29   <20
06/24/11   465   31   70
01/06/12   427   26   <20
04/12/12   378   23   <20 Change to Truvada/Viramune
05/15/12   461   30   <20
10/02/12   678   28   <20
02/22/13   720   27   <20

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 01:04:14 pm »
all the medicine chemicals I'm putting into my body at this point.
like google, medications are you friends. Especially antiretrovirals. ;)

I mention this because I never quite understand people's dislike for medications. :-\ As evidenced by the package insert information, medications go through rigorous testing and are only approved when the side effects are very low or non-existent. As I've told many people, thinking of the meds as "toxic" just shows they didn't understand the definition of "toxic" as meds are exactly the opposite of poison.

Trust me, from my personal experience (and that of many others) if you were ever actually deadly sick with the AIDS (or many other diseases), in and out of hospitals, struggling not to die and were able to regain weight, regain your health and regain your life, you wouldn't have bad things to say about the medications that saved your life. ;) :D

I see my Dr it two weeks so hopefully can get more answers.
Hopefully the doc will be able to help you out. Would you be able to get your appt. bumped up since you're currently having an outbreak? It might be worth a phone call to find out. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline clintonjrsyr

• Live, Laugh, Love...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
I've heard of herpetic whitlow. Although I've only heard of it being on someone's finger. But I guess it could be on some other extremities also. Sorry I can't be of much help. I don't know much about it.
Live like there is no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt before, and dance as if no one is watching./

To live is to suffer. To survive is to find meaning in the suffering./

Just because someone doesn't love you the way that you want them to, doesn't mean that they don't love you with all that they have./

All men are alike in their promises. It's in their actions that they differ./

If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.